C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellow Convertible Black Top Black Interior Only way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 AM
Dklean2003
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yellow Convertible Black Top Black Interior Only way to go?

Hello,

Sorry for so many questions.

I hate having to order a car without seeing it first.

I am getting a yellow convertible. 2lt. z51

I was going to go with black top/black interior/chrome wheels(I have never liked black wheels).

You think that would be the safest way to go? Any other options or is this the best look? Just trying to hear some opinions.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:59 AM
ZZR1200
Racer

Go with what you want not what somebody else likes.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:35 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

I had a C6 Velocity Yellow vert, black top/black interior. It is a great combination.....but....over time I tired of the yellow. It was just too much "in your face". OTOH, I have not ever tired of White/Red, or Red/Black.

It's a tough decision, do some serious soul searching before pulling the trigger.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:27 AM
djpatrick35
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you ever owned a yellow car before? As jkcam said, it's pretty in your face, but the Stingray is one of those cars that can pull it off. I love yellow/black combo cars, but that's just me, my wife despised an old yellow Cobalt SS/SC I had as a daily driver.

As for the color combo, black is about the only color that will make the yellow "pop." All the other interiors would just clash.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:45 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dklean2003
Hello,

I was going to go with black top/black interior/chrome wheels(I have never liked black wheels).

You think that would be the safest way to go? Any other options or is this the best look? Just trying to hear some opinions.

This is the greatest coolest most spectacularly wonderful possible color combo. It has to be--it's what I'm getting! Except I'll have black wheels and yellow calipers. And either a Steelers license plate (yes, you can get these in NC) or SINESTRO.

One day in 2008, I took my red S2000 to the dealer for an oil change. The service writer said "oh, my dream car--but wait till you see the yellow one in the showroom!" I said naw, I don't like yellow. But I strolled over there anyway. To my surprise, it was the CR version, which I'd read about in C&D but didn't think I'd ever see, in Rio Yellow Pearl, which is pretty close to Velocity Yellow.

By the end of the day, I was driving it home before somebody else snatched it. Turned out Honda made only 600 CRs and only about 120 yellow ones, so I had a very special ride that I enjoyed tremendously (except for the hardtop that didn't fit in the trunk) and looked much better when dusty and dirty--this happens in the country--than my current black C6. Now nothing beats black when it's clean and shiny, but for me, the balance tips in favor of yellow for a daily driver.

You can get a pretty good idea, good enough to make a decision, of how a yellow/black C7 vert will look from the many pictures of yellow/black C6s verts. There are some flattering shots of yellow/black C7 coupes around here too. I don't know if it's the SAFEST choice, since yellow/black is nature's way of saying "this is a stinging wasp, yellow jacket, hornet, poison frog, or other hazardous critter you best not mess with," but then maybe that's the message you want to send!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:54 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't know about yellow/black/black being your only color choice. My wife's convertible is yellow/cashmere/tan and looks pretty good. It's also significantly cooler in hot weather than my red/black/black convertible.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:24 AM
zhopper05
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
2015 C7 of Year Finalist

Hello,

Have we confused you yet? Let me try -

Chrome wheels will look good against the yellow, if you chose black calipers and avoid yellow calipers since chrome is "Bling" and yellow says aggressive.

If on the other hand you want a "race-ready" aggressive look, I'd go with black wheels and tie in the body color with yellow calipers.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Sp00ky
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djpatrick35
Have you ever owned a yellow car before? As jkcam said, it's pretty in your face, but the Stingray is one of those cars that can pull it off. I love yellow/black combo cars, but that's just me, my wife despised an old yellow Cobalt SS/SC I had as a daily driver.

As for the color combo, black is about the only color that will make the yellow "pop." All the other interiors would just clash.

My supercharged cobalt was yellow as well. I never thought I would own a yellow car but It did look more sporty than the red and silver ones on the lot. If you get a yellow vette, black interior is the way to go if you want to get the the most "sports car" look out of your sports car. I wouldn't personally get a yellow vette but by seeing the pics of yellow C7's you cant really go wrong like all the other available colors.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 PM
paul310
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
I don't know about yellow/black/black being your only color choice. My wife's convertible is yellow/cashmere/tan and looks pretty good. It's also significantly cooler in hot weather than my red/black/black convertible.
My grandpa had a yellow/tan Viper (1995) that looked awesome. It is hard to decide between yellow/tan and yellow/black. If you had black wheels, I'd absolutely go for the black interior. But with the chrome wheels, it can go either way. I would get the Kalahari interior, just because you don't see it as much with a Yellow exterior.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:10 PM
rmarc7828
Advanced

My '02 Millennium Yellow/Blk/Blk was born Sept/'01 and reborn to new parents May '13 after over 100k glorious miles. Paint remained in excellent condition through out that time and will remain that way for a long time. Every time I took the car out for exercise young people (boys and girls under 15 I would guess) would give me the thumbs up or yell some superlative. Adults always had positive comments regarding the car.

My point: I have driven new white, red and black Corvettes (some convertibles), but have none have ever received the response that the yellow Corvette brought. Stay with the yellow you will not be disappointed. My C7 will be (arrest me) torch red but only because I am older now and don't want the attention, yeah right!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:11 PM
vetteguy4
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an '08 Velocity Yellow vert with black interior and top. Everywhere I go, people notice the car....it is definately an in your face color. I have black wheels and had the calipers painted velocity yellow....Compliments galore, even from other Vette owners.

P.S. My license plate is: VLACT
Old 08-09-2013, 06:43 PM
sckennedy52
Intermediate

Have a 07 Velocity Yellow Coupe with the black transparent roof panel and chrome wheels. Wanted the Velocity Yellow so that it would be noticed in mirrors (especially by trucks), but everywhere I go with it, I get compliments on the color combination. The black on yellow is a sharp color combination; and I agree with the comment; don't like the black rims.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 PM
sckennedy52
Intermediate

Oh, and yes, have ordered a C7 convertible, Torch Red, black interior and top - wife likes the color - yes, dear............
Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

Yellow w/ black int black top may be safest resale.

Yet as other posts above get what you like.

I recall some Z06 C5s with red/ black interior were popular....yet I think there were some McDonald's Restaurant comments.

Ferarri's w/ yellow and tan int seem to be slow sellers...banana boat comments.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 PM
11BladeGS
Advanced

Though it may not be "the only way to go", I think it would look great with all the other black accents on the body. I like chrome wheels too
Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Dklean2003
Instructor

Well, I think Ill go with the yellow black combo.

Havent decided on the yellow calipers or black calipers yet. The black ones would save me $595. On pictures though the black calipers look like black(I wish they were a darker black).

I called my dealer yesterday and he said he can take convertible orders now. I am #1 on the list at the dealer. But the guy didn't call me, I called him. All I am saying with all this money I am spending I better be the first person in the state to have one.

Does anyone know when they started taking orders on these. I am going in tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:58 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Not much you can do with VY, but gray as the other neutral color.
Here are some other options:
Gray top, brownstone interior, chrome wheels, red calipers - believe there is an option code: substitute gray for black exterior vents
Gray Top, Titanium interior, chrome wheels, yellow calipers- believe there is an option code : substitute gray for black exterior vents
Black Top, Titanium interior, chrome wheels, red calipers

Photoshop before, so you can get a better perspective than your minds eye.

Last edited by User 2623; 08-10-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Yellow Convertible Black Top Black Interior Only way to go?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Hello,

In this case, since you have decided to go with yellow, I would go with black interior and Black wheels. The black rims will also go well with all the black trim on the car. Chrome is not my thing, but if you like it, that's the only thing that matters.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:44 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Black wheels FWIW!

OBTW, I have a 2004 MY/Mod Red Z06 since new and love the look!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:24 AM
BOB'S C6
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Hello,

I am with you, that Chrome wheels are the way to go. I do not like Black wheels on anything. In my opinion the convertible will even be more desirable because it has less black on the body because of the vents on the top side are gone on the convertibles. Now GM give us back colored headlights as those black ones look out of place on anything but a black car.

Quick Reply: Yellow Convertible Black Top Black Interior Only way to go?