C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought I would share an local C7 dealers email...(David Stanley in Norman Oklahoma)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM
broncho6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought I would share a local Chevy dealers email...(more drama)

Hello CF!

I too am excited about the new C7. Just sold my 05 Lamborghini Gallardo that I drove for years in anticipation of getting back into a Corvette. I had been a Corvette owner since 1992 and have owned multiple and various vettes from C4-C6, with 3 of them being purchased new from the dealer.

Although I live in Moore, Oklahoma, I decided to inquire about ordering a new C7 from the last dealer I purchased new from, which was in Chickasha, Oklahoma. They told me that they have some allocations and I would be next to get an order in at MSRP since I purchased new from them before. The salesman/GM gladly took my order with the options I requested and told me it would be at least a month before Chevy picked up the order. They didn't take the normal asking deposit of $1k so I felt this was sufficient enough for me, at least I am on the list to order. Of course, this was coming from the General Manager so I have no reason to doubt that they won't be able to order the car. I am not in a rush or hurry. I just don't want to get price gouged.

Now, where I went wrong was when I went into the local stealership here in Norman, Oklahoma (mistake #1). I stopped in one day just to see if they had any of the new C7 brochures and was immediately greeted by a salesman. After a brief discussion and he told me they were getting 60 cars and would be charging $10-15K over MSRP, I gladly thanked him for his time and rapidly looked for the exit door. This is not before giving up my email address and phone number (mistake #2). I have been having email dialogue with the salesman and he is basically wanting me to ditch the other dealer and put my order with him. So, here is the email I sent him:

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

I am still in line at the John Holt Chevrolet dealership to receive the next Corvette order. Although I don't have an order number, I don't want to switch dealerships just to be switching. I spoke with their General Manager and he has given me confidence that my C7 order will be the next one to get ordered once their allocation opens up within the next few weeks or so. If it doesn't work out, I will get in contact with you to order for me.

In order for me to switch now, there has to be some incentive on my part to have you place the order for me now. Southpoint Chevrolet in Tulsa has offered me $2k off MSRP! if I placed my order with them.

Feel free to call and check with them.... and for that matter, I may even switch my order from John Holt Chevy to Southpoint. You local Chevy dealers are going to have to step up to the plate and earn new business and customers. These cars aren't going to fly off your showroom floors like you think. Once the initial hype dies down, these cars will be readily available.

Best Regards,

dp

So, I guess that it was too much for the salesman to handle, so he passes it off to his sales leader and this was the response I got:

Christopher Lippincott from David Stanley Chevrolet in Norman,

Thank You for the opportunity regarding a C7 Corvette, however, it seems, you’ve found a dealer willing to give away the most iconic and advanced car GM has ever built?
South Pointe in Tulsa may be willing to “give away” a Corvette but we see the value here more readily and it shows in our inventory and treatment of the Corvette Owner. We simply are number one in sales within a very large radius and stand at top 15 in the nation. One primary concern that comes to mind is the peace of mind that comes from buying a Corvette locally and knowing that we employ a World Class Mechanic versed in the LS motor and prepared for the LT1 transfer under the hood of the 7th Gen Corvette

Our loaner for life policy alone leaves almost every dealership far behind and certainly with a new generation coming one has to wonder “what might happen” within the first year of ownership and who will take care of it? Will John Holt know how to undertake the C7? I have worked with Beau at John Holt and he's one of the nicest GM's I've ever met but that doesn't translate to ownership experience or knowledge of the new generation Corvette
Are you willing to head to Tulsa for service needs?
All of these questions are not meant to be demeaning but are to open up why we are the Number One dealership for Hundreds of miles regarding Corvettes and why I consistently sell Corvettes to Tulsa, Texas, and California residents alike!

Paying sticker for this car may be a shock to the system and I won’t fault you for saving money “if it’s available” to you but South Pointe has three Corvettes and it will likely be some time before you realize your dream of ownership…

Please feel free to pay us a visit and tour the dealership and meet our Service staff….that’s all we need to erase the skepticism and remove all doubt why you’ll decide to spend a few more dollars here but leave with a peace of mind you’ll not find anywhere else

As an aside, I have over 20 deposits of Corvette buyers that will be driving before New Years and my allocation has been filling for over a month!
Hopefully we can add you to the list of “Kids in a Candy Store”

Kind regards,

Christopher Lippincott
Corvette Sales
David Stanley Chevrolet of Norman

Can you believe these guys?

Last edited by broncho6; 08-09-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Christopher Lippincott
Corvette Sales
David Stanley Chevrolet of Norman

Can you believe these guys?[/QUOTE]

You have a great deal no doubt about that.

You really need to hand it to the dealer who wrote you back. He is honest and up front. No bait and switch. Chevrolet Dealers who communicate are bound to be successful. He may not sell you a Corvette but you know he has factory trained techs to service your car. I think the truth, even if it is bad news, is better then a lie.

Last edited by Bill17601; 08-08-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Telling people you have a great mechanic and great loaner car service is not very reassuring.

I'd rather not have the car ever need to come in for repairs and never use that service!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Elleby13
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a real response?? how pathetic.. I would not bother replying to that. Guess some dealerships really think they can get away with robbing people. In any case congrats on being next in line at John Holt!!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:14 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Frankly, I think Christopher's email back to you is extremely well crafted and professional. He makes the case for his dealership, as to why you might reconsider and purchase from them - (experienced Techs and free loaners for life are worthwhile considerations) - and he does so without bludgeoning his competition. He believes they are selling the C7 at the price it should command, and that's their prerogative. He has the largest allocation and thus will have more cars either for order or inventory.

I wouldn't burn that bridge . . . . .

You sarcastically said "Can you believe these guys?" - Well, yes, I can. I'm just sayin . . . . .

Old 08-08-2013, 02:22 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Wow - that's a pretty brazen approach on their part, trying to convince you that you should pay them more money just so you can come to them!

We'd better be careful here 'tho - there are those on this Forum who will criticize us for denying a dealer the chance to make additional profit.........
Old 08-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Frankly, I think Christopher's email back to you is extremely well crafted and professional. He makes the case for his dealership, as to why you might reconsider and purchase from them - (experienced Techs and free loaners for life are worthwhile considerations) - and he does so without bludgeoning his competition. He believes they are selling the C7 at the price it should command, and that's their prerogative. He has the largest allocation and thus will have more cars either for order or inventory.

You sarcastically said "Can you believe these guys?" - Well, yes, I can. I'm just sayin . . . . .

Honestly, I don't think its very professional. It sounds a bit childish.

What I would have done is thank him for considering his dealership in the first place and tell him if there's anything he can do for him in the future, including the great service and car loaner program they provide, they would be happy to do so.

And, if it doesn't work out with the other dealer for any reason, he would love a chance to work with the OP again.

Then end with a thank you.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:27 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts

So this dolt dealer is saying he refuses service if you don't buy there?
Must have been a boat dealer in another life, but Chevrolet does not permit that.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:28 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

One concern I have in the reply you received is the implication that they will not service your new car if purchased from the other dealer.

Are you willing to head to Tulsa for service needs?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech

well said. Obviously you understand business. The dealer is going to get criticized in the Forum for his pricing policy's for C7. His honesty and communication skills are far beyond what other dealers have done in the past.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:30 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Honestly, I don't think its very professional. It sounds a bit childish.

What I would have done is thank him for considering his dealership in the first place and tell him if there's anything he can do for him in the future, including the great service and car loaner program they provide, they would be happy to do so.

And, if it doesn't work out with the other dealer for any reason, he would love a chance to work with the OP again.

Then end with a thank you.
..............especially the part where the letter states that the other dealer is "giving it away".
Old 08-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill17601
well said. Obviously you understand business. The dealer is going to get criticized in the Forum for his pricing policy's for C7. His honesty and communication skills are far beyond what other dealers have done in the past.
If the Dealer salesmen understood business, the OP wouldn't have been offended.

The entire point of writing the OP was not to offend him.

What we have here is failure to communicate.
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been to both those dealerships when I lived in OK the first time. Went there in Aug. 2011 to a Corvette show, it was the first and last one I went to. Nothing but a bunch of guys there cleaning their cars and showing everyone how little they drove them. No thanks.

Went to Holt Chevy back in 2011 as well and spoke to a guy about a C6 Z06. I lived in Lawton at the time and would drive on the weekends to get away from Lawton/Ft. Sill. I was treated well while inquiring about the Z06 at Holt.

I would expect mark ups to happen as long as the car remains hot. People are willing to be but I'm not one of them. I'll wait for the hype to die down before I make that jump, if I make that jump.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:48 PM
manic mike
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
One concern I have in the reply you received is the implication that they will not service your new car if purchased from the other dealer.

This part of his email was very disturbing. The rest was within bounds.

Good luck on your purchase!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

For 2012, Marc Heitz Chevrolet, in Norman, OK was #15 is sales with 72 Corvettes being sold. Have they changed ownership?

When I went to Marc Heitz Chevrolet's website, it shows that they have 50 2013's in stock.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-08-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:56 PM
broncho6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
For 2012, Marc Heitz Chevrolet, in Norman, OK was #15 is sales with 72 Corvettes being sold. Have they changed ownership?
Yes, for those that do not know. Interesting story.

Marc Heitz moved from his old location to a new one and did a $20 million dollar build on the new store, which was obviously blessed off by the folks at GM. (The gigantic store resembles a Bass Pro Shop made of logs. Complete with waterfalls, playgrounds, etc)

Sometime last year, GM Executives came to see the store and said this new store was not within Chevrolet branding standards and required them to do a complete facelift with GM sharing only 50% of the cost.

Marc Heitz refused to make the changes and GM told him to that he would not be eligible for annual brand bonuses that would result in millions of lost revenue.

Rather than sell out to GM, Marc Heitz sold the business to cross town rivalry David Stanley.

Last edited by broncho6; 08-08-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 836 Likes on 372 Posts

Another Hendrick Chevy dealer wantobe!

Get notified of new replies

To Thought I would share an local C7 dealers email...(David Stanley in Norman Oklahoma)

Old 08-08-2013, 03:00 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Telling people you have a great mechanic and great loaner car service is not very reassuring.

I'd rather not have the car ever need to come in for repairs and never use that service!
People that are realistic know that the service department is a very important function of a dealer. Knowing that the dealer has a competent Corvette mechanic is a plus and also having loaner cars is a plus. GM's warranty does not include a free loaner car.

Every time I've purchased a new car, I have never been able to get my crystal ball to tell me if I was going to have problems with that car in the FUTURE. I purchased my first new car in 1964 and I believe that EVERY new car I've purchased since then has had warranty work performed. Some quite serious and expensive.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:05 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

Nothing wrong with his response (other than the "are you ready to head to Tulsa" comment). My past experience with Chevy dealers leaves A LOT to be desired. I'm always open to a Dealership that focuses on providing a better customer experience after the sale.

Of course it's just a sales pitch at this point, unless you can find another source to validate his claims.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't see much wrong with it, other than they lost a deal. It's good busines to try to differentiate yourself from the competition, running a good service department (if they can in fact live up to that claim) is one way to do that.

As others have alluded to, this guy was too clever in his wording, simply inquiring whether the OP is willing to drive to Tulsa - not exaclty saying they won't provide service, but leaving it open to be incorrectly implied; obviously they will service the OP, just not necessarily give him the "loaner for life" service. That tips me off to thinking this guy may be a little too clever in other areas as well and is not the straight shooter he makes out to be.

Last edited by v26278; 08-08-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Thought I would share an local C7 dealers email...(David Stanley in Norman Oklahoma)