Sponsored by:

F-Type V8S vs Stingray Z51 0-60 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Neither your Mercedes nor an Impala's primary purpose is to go fast. And are you saying the Cayman has more luxury features than the Corvette? Like what? Honest question, maybe there's something I'm missing, but I don't think there is anything of much significance that you can get in a Cayman that you can't get in a Vette, and often for less money. (Other than a DCT).
Which still won't propel it faster than than a Stingray with the A6
Old 08-12-2013, 01:56 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Oh lawd.

Do we have to say "IMO" after everything on this board to avoid stepping on people's toes?

It is a given that any statement about the way a car looks is an opinion. I even prefaced that statement with "Personally, I hope they don't listen..."

Neither your Mercedes' nor an Impala's primary purpose is to go fast. And are you saying the Cayman has more luxury features than the Corvette? Like what? Honest question, maybe there's something I'm missing, but I don't think there is anything of much significance that you can get in a Cayman that you can't get in a Vette, and often for less money. (Other than a DCT).
Unfortunately the C7 Baby Jesus nut huggers have warranted the use of "IMO"
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
Which still won't propel it faster than than a Stingray with the A6
Or a manual for that matter...
Old 08-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither your Mercedes' nor an Impala's primary purpose is to go fast.
Like the primary purpose of the Vette is to cruise around a 160-180 mph??

And are you saying the Cayman has more luxury features than the Corvette? Like what? Honest question, maybe there's something I'm missing, but I don't think there is anything of much significance that you can get in a Cayman that you can't get in a Vette, and often for less money. (Other than a DCT).
Have you driven the Cayman? The honest answer to what you're missing is that the Cayman is a phenomenal driving experience. The mid-engine has a large impact on the experience, but the chassis balance, steering feel, turn-in, control balance, and sight lines from the driver's seat combine with the mid-engine to create a great driving experience. There's been no match for these things in pre-C7 Vettes. We'll have to see if the C7 has made significant strides in closing the gap.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Performance was never the only thing I mentioned.
But that's the angle you seem to have been pushing with regard to the F-Type. Ie, it's ludicrously ovepriced by the tune of $41k, but it's not better in tangibly measurably ways (as if you tangibly measure your car's performance on any regular basis). You mention fun, so let's look at that: Is the point of buying a sports car to be able to beat everybody else on the street?

Also, I don't think I said the Corvette was equal to the 911.
You did ask what a Corvette buyer compromises when not buying a 911, as if there were no compromises (ie, they're pretty much the same). And when discussing Porsches, you did say the world is messed up because many people are willing to pay "100% premiums to get a comparable (or inferior) product for the exclusivity and the prestigious badge it carries."
Sounds like you're saying the Corvette was equal (or superior) to the Porsche.

I'm not the one that tried to dismiss the other's opinion based on their political beliefs or affluence.
Wait. Whose opinion did I dismiss based on their political beliefs or affluence? I know damn well that parts of our society are already socialized and nowhere have I dismissed any of that. I wanted to be sure about what kind of economic theory certain people subscribe to, and I respectfully gave them the benefit of the doubt.
If saying that people are crazy or stupid to pay for leather-covered air vents isn't being dismissive of their affluence, I'm not sure what is.

B. No. It is more than just a "subjective feeling". Thought != subjective feeling. I "think" 2+2 = 4. A "subjective feeling" is liking vanilla ice cream more than chocolate. If that's all this was, neither of us would have let it get this far. You keep trying to reduce it to that likely because you know there is no logical way from an automotive engineering standpoint to explain why the Porsche or the Jag costs so much (which is exactly why Porsche has such ridiculous margins).
2+2 = 4 is a mathematical formula. It can be scientifically observed to be true. You've already admitted you've employed no calculus to arrive at your conclusion, so how can you claim it's more than just a "subjective feeling"?
From an engineering standpoint, if you think GM can make a rear-engined car capable of carrying 3 kids to school as fast as the 911, as full of feedback as the 911, as robust in its structure as the 911, and still only charge $50k as a starting point, I'm going to have to ask how you've arrived at that conclusion.
With regard to the F-Type, it doesn't necessarily have to be about engineering only. The most important decision in whether a car even gets made in the first place has little to do with how fast it has to be.

I meant the debate about whether a journalist necessarily can't afford a GT3 RS is pointless.
I never said necessarily. I said it was a "safe assumption" (and meant to say that they don't make that kind of money). Now that you've agreed on the unlikeliness of it, we can move on.

Yeah, I certainly don't agree that EVERYONE's reason for buying a Porsche is insecurity and because they want a status symbol. I certainly do believe, however, that the Porsche brand would not be remotely as profitable with their current pricing if not for those image-conscious people.
But as you've already conceded, Porsche earned its status. It didn't just offer up a Corvette clone and charge a 100% premium. Why don't these image-conscious people just buy an F430 which comes from a brand with even higher status?

Originally Posted by Guibo
$20k. A sports car.
Reposted for an answer.

As for those Porsche reviews, it's funny... I think so many publications overrate the living crap out of Porsches (and BMWs, for that matter) based on my experiences with them. And I feel like I have pretty good evidence of this. Like you look at this review:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._s_first_test/

And it sounds like a glowing review. Then you look closer, and they talk about how light the electronic steering is. They mention it positively as if it's a good thing when in the past or with other cars, that is EXACTLY the kind of thing they would criticize cars for. Especially sports cars. A lot of these manufacturers have been on a trend of numbing their cars for years to cater to the American market that doesn't really want them so much for performance. But they're still being praised.

... They are starting to get some criticism these days, though.
Having light steering, accurate steering is not the same as having overboosted, non-linear steering that is devoid of feel. That you admit they are starting to get some criticism suggests they have been objective in their findings after all, no?
I know you meant that for Trackaholic and I'm replying to a post where you quoted him, but I'm not him. Just for those who have been confused in the past.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

What I've been referring to for example is the person who buys a Cayman or a Boxter, even though they can buy a Corvette for the same price, but instead buy the inferior car "just because its a Porsche" or so they can tell others "yeah but I drive a Porsche" etc.
For less than the price of a new Boxster or Corvette, the same person can buy a used Ferrari so they can tell others "yeah but I drive a Ferrari."

Really anyone who can afford a Stingray can afford a Cayman, Boxter or Cayenne, and anyone who can afford a hi-po Corvette can afford many of the remaining Porsches that are sold, so there really isn't this insecurity among Corvette buyers that they supposedly can't afford a Porsche.
Just another kind of insecurity: Fear of being beaten in a "race" on the street. You must feel really nervous when a Viper or GSX-R pulls up at the light, huh?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:27 PM
All2Easy
Racer

Whether it's faster than a C7 or not, we love ours.....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/off-...-new-ride.html
Old 08-12-2013, 03:16 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

For less than the price of a new Boxster or Corvette, the same person can buy a used Ferrari so they can tell others "yeah but I drive a Ferrari."

Just another kind of insecurity: Fear of being beaten in a "race" on the street. You must feel really nervous when a Viper or GSX-R pulls up at the light, huh?
Ain't nobody buying a used Ferrari for less than a C7 that's worth bragging about.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
Like the primary purpose of the Vette is to cruise around a 160-180 mph??
Your sarcasm is misplaced. You know what I mean, and you know it's valid. Even if it's not expected that most buyers will be driving on a track all the time, these cars are designed and built to go fast. Not to carry your family as comfortably and safely as possible from point A to point B. If one of them does what they're both designed to do better for less money and without making any serious sacrifices, it would seem to me that it has a pretty significant advantage over the other.

Have you driven the Cayman? The honest answer to what you're missing is that the Cayman is a phenomenal driving experience. The mid-engine has a large impact on the experience, but the chassis balance, steering feel, turn-in, control balance, and sight lines from the driver's seat combine with the mid-engine to create a great driving experience. There's been no match for these things in pre-C7 Vettes. We'll have to see if the C7 has made significant strides in closing the gap.
I mostly agree with you here, to be honest. The mid-engine setup is a nice distinguishing factor on the Cayman. Still, it's debatable whether that platform is really that much better. It's different, for sure, and there are advantages. But the C7 still has excellent weight balance, and the difference in feel really comes down to a matter of preference. In terms of performance, the C7 still has the edge in almost every category, regardless of its FR setup. Plus, from an engineering standpoint, that still doesn't justify the price difference. If Chevy wanted to, they could have made the Corvette a mid-engined car without adding much to the cost. (And I kind of wish they had)

On that note, I don't understand why there are not more reasonably priced mid-engined sports cars on the market. The Cayman and Boxter are pretty much your only options under six figures, and there's only two trims of both. I suspect it's because of the lack of demand. The MR2 couldn't survive, and nothing else took its place. Us Americans seem to often have pretty crappy tastes in cars.

But yeah, back to your point -- that is why I'm mostly focusing my criticism on the 911. I think the Cayman S is at least more reasonably priced, and I also think it's just a better sports car than the 911. It will be on the short list of cars that I will be giving it a thorough test drive when I'm on the market in a year or so. Right now, though, it has an uphill battle in terms of winning my favor.

But that's the angle you seem to have been pushing with regard to the F-Type. Ie, it's ludicrously ovepriced by the tune of $41k, but it's not better in tangibly measurably ways (as if you tangibly measure your car's performance on any regular basis). You mention fun, so let's look at that: Is the point of buying a sports car to be able to beat everybody else on the street?
No offense, and I'm sorry to keep disregarding so many parts of your post, but I'm growing tired of this debate. I've spent too much time with it that should have been spent on other things. Things that could hopefully help me make enough money to have a more valid opinion on the 911.

Let me just say that I was never taking a performance-is-the-only-thing-that-matters "angle". I was focusing on performance, I suppose. Mostly because all the cars we are discussing in this thread are performance cars.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Ain't nobody buying a used Ferrari for less than a C7 that's worth bragging about.
The badge is what he was focusing on.

Let me just say that I was never taking a performance-is-the-only-thing-that-matters "angle". I was focusing on performance, I suppose. Mostly because all the cars we are discussing in this thread are performance cars.
They are also classified and marketed by their manufacturers (yes, GM too) as luxury performance cars. Fine, you can answer the $20k question or PM it to me at your leisure.

The question stands to Achmed, drmustang, etc: Is it dumb, foolish, or status-seeking to spend $20k more on a car that is not faster than another which is otherwise the same in almost every meaningful way?
Old 08-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Your sarcasm is misplaced. You know what I mean, and you know it's valid.
Then what do you mean by "fast"? Do you mean low stopwatch times in acceleration measurements?

Even if it's not expected that most buyers will be driving on a track all the time, these cars are designed and built to go fast.
On public roads?

Not to carry your family as comfortably and safely as possible from point A to point B.
The 911 and the Cayman/Boxster are not primarily designed to carry your family. The fact that the 911 is versatile in being able to carry people in the back seats is just a bonus utility.

I mostly agree with you here, to be honest. The mid-engine setup is a nice distinguishing factor on the Cayman. Still, it's debatable whether that platform is really that much better.
It's that much better in many people's minds.

I think the Cayman S is at least more reasonably priced, and I also think it's just a better sports car than the 911.
It's not better for those who really like the handling characteristics of the 911. In a best handling (or best driver's car, I can't remember which it was) test by a major auto magazine a few years ago, the GT3 won overall, beating the second place Cayman. The grip produced on-throttle (because of the rear weight bias) and the lighter and more precise steering of the GT3, makes it a phenomenal sports car; "better" in the magazines opinion than the Cayman.

LOTS of people buy sports cars because of how the cars drive when not max performing them. You can't spend 100% of your time in the car at WOT or at max cornering g, so how the car drives for the huge percentage of the time you're not doing these things is the real litmus test in their opinion. I believe most people don't pick a sports car because of their fear of other sports cars that might pull up next to them at a stop light, or for the numbers some magazine got on a test track (although it seems there are some here on this forum who worry about that to the exclusion it seems of other considerations except price).
Old 08-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lavender
Or a manual for that matter...
Yes that too!

What I meant is JoeC5 implied that the Cayman's PDK is an advantage over the Stingray's equivalent A6, but what advantage is having a PDK is its still the slower car lol
Old 08-12-2013, 04:29 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

I have a little dead time right now, so:

From an engineering standpoint, if you think GM can make a rear-engined car capable of carrying 3 kids to school as fast as the 911, as full of feedback as the 911, as robust in its structure as the 911, and still only charge $50k as a starting point, I'm going to have to ask how you've arrived at that conclusion.
With regard to the F-Type, it doesn't necessarily have to be about engineering only. The most important decision in whether a car even gets made in the first place has little to do with how fast it has to be.
I don't know why you think moving the engine from the front to the back would cost much extra money. Nor would adding a tiny back seat (look at the BR-Z).

Why don't these image-conscious people just buy an F430 which comes from a brand with even higher status?
I don't doubt many of them would if they could.

They are also classified and marketed by their manufacturers (yes, GM too) as luxury performance cars. Fine, you can answer the $20k question or PM it to me at your leisure.
It depends what those non-performance-related improvements were. I mean the C7 I would buy has probably ~$15K worth of options added on. So if all those came in by default with the base version along with maybe some other improvements, yeah, I suppose there are ways to make a car worth $20K more without changing the performance... Although I guess about $5-6K of that $15K are at least somewhat performance-related (NPP, MSRC, Z51).
Old 08-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Have you driven the Cayman?
Honestly, no I've never driven a Porsche of any kind. Despite that I can afford one, I have no interest in even entertaining the idea of paying extra for status rather than something tangible and measurable, so I see no point in test driving a Cayman.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Honestly, no I've never driven a Porsche of any kind. Despite that I can afford one, I have no interest in even entertaining the idea of paying extra for status rather than something tangible and measurable, so I see no point in test driving a Cayman.
That's actually very funny.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Achmed
Drifting

The badge is what he was focusing on.

The question stands to Achmed, drmustang, etc: Is it dumb, foolish, or status-seeking to spend $20k more on a car that is not faster than another which is otherwise the same in almost every meaningful way?
Not exactly sure what you're asking - but it reads as though you're asking if two cars are exactly the same to a buyer but one costs $20k more - is it dumb to buy the more expensive one? Yes of course it is.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Then what do you mean by "fast"? Do you mean low stopwatch times in acceleration measurements?

On public roads?

The 911 and the Cayman/Boxster are not primarily designed to carry your family. The fact that the 911 is versatile in being able to carry people in the back seats is just a bonus utility.

It's that much better in many people's minds.

It's not better for those who really like the handling characteristics of the 911. In a best handling (or best driver's car, I can't remember which it was) test by a major auto magazine a few years ago, the GT3 won overall, beating the second place Cayman. The grip produced on-throttle (because of the rear weight bias) and the lighter and more precise steering of the GT3, makes it a phenomenal sports car; "better" in the magazines opinion than the Cayman.

LOTS of people buy sports cars because of how the cars drive when not max performing them. You can't spend 100% of your time in the car at WOT or at max cornering g, so how the car drives for the huge percentage of the time you're not doing these things is the real litmus test in their opinion. I believe most people don't pick a sports car because of their fear of other sports cars that might pull up next to them at a stop light, or for the numbers some magazine got on a test track (although it seems there are some here on this forum who worry about that to the exclusion it seems of other considerations except price).
Jesus, what is with you Porsche defenders and your divide-and-conquer strategy with posts??? It makes them very tiresome to reply to thoroughly, heh.

Anyways, this goes back to what I was saying before about Porsche reviews (and car mag reviews in general).

"Driver feel" is a subjective advantage at best, and one that in my experience is not nearly significant enough to justify the extra cost (including higher maintenance costs), especially given the performance disadvantages. Plus, there are those people who prefer the thrill of having to tame a beast that struggles to keep the power down coming out of a turn. There are certain people who consider overly grippy Porsches "almost boring":

If someone else really likes the way the 911 feels behind the wheel so much more than the Corvette (or another competitor) that they really feel it justifies the price, that is fine. I'm not gonna hate. But I still don't believe that that is the reason a good chunk of 911 buyers choose the car. And for other people, I think their ability to easily afford it expands the perceived value. Also, I don't believe that justifies the cost difference. Not necessarily in terms of value, but in terms of cost. And Porsche's margins prove that. If anything it is MORE expensive and requires more technology to isolate the driver from the road... But in bringing that up, I guess I am veering dangerously close to another debate about capitalism.

EDIT: I also don't think you are going to be able to safely experience whatever thrills there may be with the Porsche's handling/feedback advantages during the vast majority of your street driving. I certainly couldn't, which may be part of why I think the cars are criminally overrated and overpriced. And when you're on the track, I think the main thrill comes from just going fast. Probably why I was able to enjoy the hell out of tracking even my Lexus IS350 with an automatic transmission and a steering system that was almost unanimously considered numb and overly light by everyone. And that's probably why racing is fun even in a completely feedback-free environment: videogames... but I digress.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 08-12-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To F-Type V8S vs Stingray Z51 0-60 MPH

Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Achmed
Drifting

If someone else really likes the way the 911 feels behind the wheel that much better than the Corvette (or another competitor), that is fine. I'm not gonna hate. But I still don't believe that that is the reason a good chunk of 911 buyers choose the car.
LOL next you will get the "do you have a study to prove that" question from Guibo
Old 08-12-2013, 04:54 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Do you believe the Cayman and Boxter are superior to the C7?

Also, the 1/4 mile is closer to a second different in the C7 versus Cayman/Boxter, than just a few tenths.
Once again you are defining your definition of how good a car is by objective performance figures. Quarter mile times, lap times etc. In the real world a lot of folks look beyond numbers. If you are only interested in which is fastest that is fine. But you don't seem to want to acknowledge the fact that some folks really and truly do appreciate aspects of how a car goes about it's business in subjective ways.

You think if a car doesn't put up better numbers then people only buy it for status. While some folks do buy for status, you are lumping everyone into that category.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by jschindler
Once again you are defining your definition of how good a car is by objective performance figures. Quarter mile times, lap times etc. In the real world a lot of folks look beyond numbers. If you are only interested in which is fastest that is fine. But you don't seem to want to acknowledge the fact that some folks really and truly do appreciate aspects of how a car goes about it's business in subjective ways.

You think if a car doesn't put up better numbers then people only buy it for status. While some folks do buy for status, you are lumping everyone into that category.
That's not what I said at all. I know some Porsche buyers pick their car becasue the like they way it looks, or feels, etc (I do consider these tangible qualities, even though they are subjective). What I'm saying is I would bet that the majority of Porsche buyers are largely motivated by wanting a status symbol over the other tangible measures, reason being that the difference in price seems too high to justify even if one believes the subjective qualities are better.

Last edited by Achmed; 08-12-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Quick Reply: F-Type V8S vs Stingray Z51 0-60 MPH