Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Played around with the 2014 yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Geof180
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Played around with the 2014 yesterday!

Good morning everyone,

As I said late last night, I would add more of my thoughts on this latest corvette generation.

How did this happen you ask? Wifey and I were driving back home from my brother’s wedding. Bowling Green happens to be on the way back to Dayton, OH. We arrived in Bowling Green just minutes before the Corvette Museum was closing. I decided to stop anyway because I wanted to see if they had any new cars inside the main lobby. The answer to that question was “No.” There were several 2013s and a Hot Wheels Camaro positioned in the lobby.

Since I had still never seen a 2014 in person, I decided to drive across the street and take a lap around the plant. Low and behold, there were three of them sitting in front of the corporate plant office!

The red car was a 3LT, Z51 with a black. The blue and green cars were both “base” models. The green one was also a 3LT – but had the tan interior. Forgive me, I didn’t get a chance to really inspect the NRB car. I don’t remember what trim level it had. I know I am not using the proper color terms, like “Brownstone” or “Kalahari”; at that moment, the interiors were simply black and tan.

I was told there are about 18 7th gen cars driving all over the U.S. right now. In total, they have amassed about 500K miles of driving.

The first thing I noticed was how the “base” model quarter vents are indeed blocked off. The vents are there in the body work, but beyond that, they do not appear to be functional. In contrast, the Z51 car’s vents clearly reveal the air passage heading down towards their respective components.

As wifey and I were taking pictures and looking over the cars, two engineers came out of the office. One gentleman was driving the red car. He fired it up and let me hear the different exhaust notes accompanying each driving “mode”.

There is a definite difference between each “mode.” The exhaust note is very pleasing and has a noticeable growl to it. My 94 ZR-1, with Jeal headers and a Corsa exhaust, sounds much more like a traditional hot rod than the new Stingray.

Getting the opportunity to sit inside this car was a real treat! I was wanting to capture every detail with my iPhone, but at the same time, I wanted to play with all the ***** and buttons…and feel every surface.

Compared to my ZR-1, this interior is beyond spectacular! I have driven both 5th and 6th generation cars as well, and let me tell you, the Stingray’s interior is out of this world!! The red car was equipped with the GT seats. Upon sitting, I immediately noticed just how supportive they are. These are much improved over my 20 year old ZR-1 sport seats…and I love the way my 4th gen car feels wrapped around me.

This interior has a distinctive cockpit feel, without being overly cramped. The gentleman kept asking me how I felt in the car…if I had enough room, etc. The answer is yes! I am 5’ 11”, and weigh around 230 pounds. This car was extremely comfortable!! I cannot express this any clearer.

I asked the engineer about the competition seats, but he has never sat in one of them. So there is nothing to report on that front.

As a 3LT car, the seats were leather and suede. The black leather door panels and dash added a very sophisticated feel to the car. The A and B pillars, along with the headliner were a suede / alcantara material. This is some top notch craftsmanship!!

Based on this one car and its interior, I am seriously considering making my own car a 3LT versus the 2LT.

The HUD is amazingly clear! Despite the white graphics, the numbers and tach are extremely legible. And the colors make for a very interesting display. We have all heard great things about the digital gauge cluster and associated “infotainment” displays. They are everything you have heard and more. Pictures do not do these displays justice. They are crystal clear and oh so simple to manipulate.

Interestingly enough, this red car had the carbon fiber dash – despite all the hoo hah we are getting about production issues. The carbon fiber is so subtle, yet it adds a distinctive look to the interior.

I was checking out the rear visibility. Umm, there is NO issue there! I have read all kinds of posts on this forum about poor visibility. That is simply not true. You look in the rear view mirror, and you see right out the back of the car. When you adjust the side mirrors properly, you can clearly see all around the car. There are no issues whatsoever with rearward visibility.

The engineers were telling my wife how they enjoyed hearing and seeing my excitement firsthand. It was gratifying to them because they have been working on the car for so many years. They also thanked me for my brand loyalty and for my business. I told them I will be ordering my new Corvette once I graduate, come September 2014.

That’s about all I can think of right now guys and gals. I need to get back to schoolwork now.

BTW, I am not sure if you guys read this forum or not, but Dan and Sarah, thank you so very much for affording me this opportunity!!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

Great stuff. Many thanks.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Chip A
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That grin says it all!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 AM
gorilla1969
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Nicely detailed write-up!

It's great that the engineers were so accomodating - I'm sure they get lots of attention on a regular basis from the general public and they sounded very gratious about it.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 AM
extisme4290
Intermediate

Sweet!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 AM
manic mike
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome pics and story!

I had the privilege to see both the C7 coupe and vert and to sit in the vert a week ago in Winter Park, Colorado. I agree with everything that you say except for a couple of personal choice preferences. After seeing the 3lt leather treatment on the dash I will go with the 2lt. Also, because I am old school, I prefer my instrument cluster on my C6 but that will not keep me from getting my C7 sometime in the next couple of years.

Good luck in school!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Awesome Thanks for sharing
Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Mardis Gras
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip A
That grin says it all!

Nice write up
Old 08-07-2013, 11:43 AM
bobbykart
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Thanks for the inside info...

I was thinking about switching to 2LT to get more contrast of the Kalahari and black dash, but my salesman said it was too late. Comfortable now with stickin with the 3LT. Goin to Monterey next week
hope to see one there!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:43 AM
post-it
Racer

Originally Posted by Geof180
Good morning everyone,

As I said late last night, I would add more of my thoughts on this latest corvette generation.

How did this happen you ask? Wifey and I were driving back home from my brother’s wedding. Bowling Green happens to be on the way back to Dayton, OH. We arrived in Bowling Green just minutes before the Corvette Museum was closing. I decided to stop anyway because I wanted to see if they had any new cars inside the main lobby. The answer to that question was “No.” There were several 2013s and a Hot Wheels Camaro positioned in the lobby.

Since I had still never seen a 2014 in person, I decided to drive across the street and take a lap around the plant. Low and behold, there were three of them sitting in front of the corporate plant office!

The red car was a 3LT, Z51 with a black. The blue and green cars were both “base” models. The green one was also a 3LT – but had the tan interior. Forgive me, I didn’t get a chance to really inspect the NRB car. I don’t remember what trim level it had. I know I am not using the proper color terms, like “Brownstone” or “Kalahari”; at that moment, the interiors were simply black and tan.

I was told there are about 18 7th gen cars driving all over the U.S. right now. In total, they have amassed about 500K miles of driving.

The first thing I noticed was how the “base” model quarter vents are indeed blocked off. The vents are there in the body work, but beyond that, they do not appear to be functional. In contrast, the Z51 car’s vents clearly reveal the air passage heading down towards their respective components.

As wifey and I were taking pictures and looking over the cars, two engineers came out of the office. One gentleman was driving the red car. He fired it up and let me hear the different exhaust notes accompanying each driving “mode”.

There is a definite difference between each “mode.” The exhaust note is very pleasing and has a noticeable growl to it. My 94 ZR-1, with Jeal headers and a Corsa exhaust, sounds much more like a traditional hot rod than the new Stingray.

Getting the opportunity to sit inside this car was a real treat! I was wanting to capture every detail with my iPhone, but at the same time, I wanted to play with all the ***** and buttons…and feel every surface.

Compared to my ZR-1, this interior is beyond spectacular! I have driven both 5th and 6th generation cars as well, and let me tell you, the Stingray’s interior is out of this world!! The red car was equipped with the GT seats. Upon sitting, I immediately noticed just how supportive they are. These are much improved over my 20 year old ZR-1 sport seats…and I love the way my 4th gen car feels wrapped around me.

This interior has a distinctive cockpit feel, without being overly cramped. The gentleman kept asking me how I felt in the car…if I had enough room, etc. The answer is yes! I am 5’ 11”, and weigh around 230 pounds. This car was extremely comfortable!! I cannot express this any clearer.

I asked the engineer about the competition seats, but he has never sat in one of them. So there is nothing to report on that front.

As a 3LT car, the seats were leather and suede. The black leather door panels and dash added a very sophisticated feel to the car. The A and B pillars, along with the headliner were a suede / alcantara material. This is some top notch craftsmanship!!

Based on this one car and its interior, I am seriously considering making my own car a 3LT versus the 2LT.

The HUD is amazingly clear! Despite the white graphics, the numbers and tach are extremely legible. And the colors make for a very interesting display. We have all heard great things about the digital gauge cluster and associated “infotainment” displays. They are everything you have heard and more. Pictures do not do these displays justice. They are crystal clear and oh so simple to manipulate.

Interestingly enough, this red car had the carbon fiber dash – despite all the hoo hah we are getting about production issues. The carbon fiber is so subtle, yet it adds a distinctive look to the interior.

I was checking out the rear visibility. Umm, there is NO issue there! I have read all kinds of posts on this forum about poor visibility. That is simply not true. You look in the rear view mirror, and you see right out the back of the car. When you adjust the side mirrors properly, you can clearly see all around the car. There are no issues whatsoever with rearward visibility.

The engineers were telling my wife how they enjoyed hearing and seeing my excitement firsthand. It was gratifying to them because they have been working on the car for so many years. They also thanked me for my brand loyalty and for my business. I told them I will be ordering my new Corvette once I graduate, come September 2014.

That’s about all I can think of right now guys and gals. I need to get back to schoolwork now.

BTW, I am not sure if you guys read this forum or not, but Dan and Sarah, thank you so very much for affording me this opportunity!!

Man, you struck gold down there! Sounds like the Engineers were very friendly and accomodating. Thanks for the great pictures and report......
Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Very cool story, thanks for sharing!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:49 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,073 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Thanks for the great post.
Did you ask when production of customers C7's will begin?
I am driving home, to NYC, from Daytona Beach FLA., on 8/26 and have decided to detour to Bowling Green for a nights stay. I hope to get the same experience you had. My C7 has a TPW of 8/19, this could change but if it holds I may get lucky and see my car in the lot.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:52 AM
post-it
Racer

Man, you struck gold down there! Sounds like the Engineers were very friendly and accomodating. Thanks so much for the great pictures and story......
Old 08-07-2013, 11:57 AM
0-60B4U
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool pics and write-up! I'm chomping at the bits!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
kozmic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 609 Likes on 273 Posts

Lucky dog!

Great post, pics, and write-up! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Zee51Vert
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

green with envy...
Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Study hard. It will take a good job to buy a C7, but I suspect you will do it, b/c your explanation of the C7s you saw was awesome. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Played around with the 2014 yesterday!

Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Geof180
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am actually a Major in the Air Force. Mother AF is allowing me to get my PhD in aeronautical engineering.

I figured a new Corvette would be a good graduation present..
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Really answers some of the questions constantly on C7 re when will the cars be ready-----they are making the rounds of the US roads to the tune of 500K miles on 18 or so cars so that they will be good to go.

Great write up from a totally disinterested party with no axe to grind (well, a small one in that you already own a Corvette unlike some, and will buy yet another relatively soon...).

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Wish you could have taken a shot showing the Kalahari interior in the green car. It's a color combo I've been wanting to see. I really like the base wheels and spoilerless rear.

Quick Reply: Played around with the 2014 yesterday!