Electronics questions....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 11:25 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Electronics questions....

I am not an electronic geek tech type, so forgive me here if these questions seem elementary, but I'm sure there are a few other luddites out there that would like to know...

So, Ok, what exactly is the described "AM/FM/SiriusXM7 MP3 RDS Audio with Memory Package USB/SD card input and input jack" on the spec sheet? Yeah, I get AM/FM/Sirus Xm7...(worthless imho)

What exactly does "MP3 RDS Audio with Memory Package" mean and what is it?

Same question with respect to "USB/SD card input with input jack"?

How do these work? what do you need to make them work?

How do you hook up your ipod to work on this system?

Thanks for your input....
Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

I think you just plug your iPod cable into the USB slot and the iPod menu shows up on the infotainment screen.....that's how it works on my Hyundai ! Works and sounds great !!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:19 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

MP3 - This is a commonly used format for digitally storing audio files on memory devices. iPods typically use a different format that is unique to that device (which the Corvette will handle as well). MP3 files compress the data in the music to make a smaller file size so you can fit more songs on a device. Different amounts of compression (bitrate) affect the tradeoff between file size and audio quality.

RDS Audio - Radio Data System (RDS) is a system for providing information along with FM broadcasts. This inaudible information provides such features as program service name, program type, traffic announcement standby, automatic tuning and program type tuning, and is used for various purposes, the most common and basic being to display the current station name, artist, and song that is playing. Not all FM stations broadcast this data stream.

USB is an interface commonly used to connect devices to computers. USB sticks or USB memory or USB drives are terms used to describe small rectangular sticks that plug directly into a corresponding slot. They can have plenty of digital memory to store the above-mentioned MP3 files. Some digital audio players can be plugged in using a USB cable.

SD cards are a different form of memory for holding digital files. They are small thin squares that are inserted into a narrow slot. There are also Micro-SD cards that are truly tiny.

Input jack usually refers to a hole that accepts a single metal cylindrical plug (as is found on the personal earphones that came with your iPod). Different sizes and configurations exist, but the car most likely uses the same type of jack as your headphones... a 3.5mm mini-stereo plug.

I'm stumped by their use of "Memory Package" unless this refers to the ability to index all the digital music files on your plugged in memory device and let you call them up by genre, artist, title, etc.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:07 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the memory package system is the same as the C5's, it means that your presets will change with the driver number you're on.

Meaning, if you are driver 1 (driver key fob 1) and you set your presets, then driver 2 (presumably your wife has the second key fob), her presets would be saved separately from yours. This is how it worked with my C5's memory package. I don't know if that carried over to the C6s.

The memory package stuff like this also extends to seating and mirror positions, as well as the A/C settings.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

That makes sense, SCM. But I was puzzled as to why "memory package" was lumped in with all the audio information in the same sentence (as provided by CoupeGuy).

Here's a cute thought... What if the Memory Package settings not only swapped out seat/mirror settings, etc. but also the presets on the radio? Each driver could have their own favorite stations stored.

I don't know of any audio system that does this and I don't actually believe it is implemented in the Vette this way. But it would be a cute extra cherry on the memory sundae and not very difficult to program.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Does anybody know if the USB ports are USB 3.0 in the C7 ? I have not seen this reported anywhere.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 AM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Does anybody know if the USB ports are USB 3.0 in the C7 ? I have not seen this reported anywhere.
They'll probably be USB 2.0 but I've read somewhere that they're up to 10W so they should charge tablets, etc. I know that's an issue with my phone (Galaxy Note II) - it needs some serious juice to charge up that battery quickly. I didn't see any blue in pictures yet unless GM is ignoring that convention. Apple does.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:18 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryKen
MP3 - This is a commonly used format for digitally storing audio files on memory devices. iPods typically use a different format that is unique to that device (which the Corvette will handle as well). MP3 files compress the data in the music to make a smaller file size so you can fit more songs on a device. Different amounts of compression (bitrate) affect the tradeoff between file size and audio quality.

RDS Audio - Radio Data System (RDS) is a system for providing information along with FM broadcasts. This inaudible information provides such features as program service name, program type, traffic announcement standby, automatic tuning and program type tuning, and is used for various purposes, the most common and basic being to display the current station name, artist, and song that is playing. Not all FM stations broadcast this data stream.

USB is an interface commonly used to connect devices to computers. USB sticks or USB memory or USB drives are terms used to describe small rectangular sticks that plug directly into a corresponding slot. They can have plenty of digital memory to store the above-mentioned MP3 files. Some digital audio players can be plugged in using a USB cable.

SD cards are a different form of memory for holding digital files. They are small thin squares that are inserted into a narrow slot. There are also Micro-SD cards that are truly tiny.

Input jack usually refers to a hole that accepts a single metal cylindrical plug (as is found on the personal earphones that came with your iPod). Different sizes and configurations exist, but the car most likely uses the same type of jack as your headphones... a 3.5mm mini-stereo plug.

I'm stumped by their use of "Memory Package" unless this refers to the ability to index all the digital music files on your plugged in memory device and let you call them up by genre, artist, title, etc.
Thanks for the comprehensive explanation!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I seriously doubt they would be USB 3.0, because the audio system would not require anything faster than USB 2.0.

However, USB 3.0 devices are compatible with USB 2.0, so you can plug in any USB 3.0 devices into a USB 2.0 slot, and it will work fine.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 PM
kirbsc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure what they mean by memory package but my Infiniti G37 (just sold for Corvette) had a 30 GB hard drive that I could store music on from CD's. I know that the Corvette will not use a CD drive but didn't know if it my have the storage ability.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:17 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

That makes sense, SCM. But I was puzzled as to why "memory package" was lumped in with all the audio information in the same sentence (as provided by CoupeGuy).

Here's a cute thought... What if the Memory Package settings not only swapped out seat/mirror settings, etc. but also the presets on the radio? Each driver could have their own favorite stations stored.

I don't know of any audio system that does this and I don't actually believe it is implemented in the Vette this way. But it would be a cute extra cherry on the memory sundae and not very difficult to program.
Yes and it should also configure the HVAC system for that FOB.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:48 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you CaryKen. I'm wondering where the SD card would come into play, my having them only in cameras for photos/video. Boy, this dinosaur has a lot to learn (while parked).
Old 08-08-2013, 12:13 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Dan, apparently the Stingray has a slot that will accept an SD card. It's just an either/or alternative to using a USB flash drive (memory stick, whatever). Different form factors, but it's all just memory to hold the bits comprising your music files (or photo/video files in your case).

You should be able to use the same SD card as your camera uses. Except that most cameras these days use the Micro SD format, which is a smaller piece of plastic. There is a cheap/free adapter that lets you insert a Micro SD card in a standard SD card slot.

These standards can easily drive you crazy. For instance, SD users will want to know if the car supports the higher bus speeds of UHS-I or UHS-II cards (See https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/bus_speed/). This isn't important for music playback, but could conceivably speed up the indexing process when inserting a card with lots of songs.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Promind
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Our MDX has its memory settings tied to all music presets too, so I'd assume this is why it's bunched in here.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:46 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Indeed, the presets ARE linked to the memory package (based on the FOB used to unlock the car). This is how the C5 is, and should be the same for C6 and C7.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:20 PM
kirbsc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coupeguyz51
I am not an electronic geek tech type, so forgive me here if these questions seem elementary, but I'm sure there are a few other luddites out there that would like to know...

So, Ok, what exactly is the described "AM/FM/SiriusXM7 MP3 RDS Audio with Memory Package USB/SD card input and input jack" on the spec sheet? Yeah, I get AM/FM/Sirus Xm7...(worthless imho)

What exactly does "MP3 RDS Audio with Memory Package" mean and what is it?

Same question with respect to "USB/SD card input with input jack"?

How do these work? what do you need to make them work?

How do you hook up your ipod to work on this system?

Thanks for your input....
Looking at the Chevy page under their mylink-radio section should give an idea of what the Corvette will be like.

http://www.chevrolet.com/mylink-radio.html
Old 08-08-2013, 10:37 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank You CK. Blink once or twice and the tech world just leaves you in the dust.

Get notified of new replies

To Electronics questions....

Quick Reply: Electronics questions....