Sponsored by:

Ordered car . . . 2 questions for help . . . Roger

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Roger Sobin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered car . . . 2 questions for help . . . Roger

Ordered my new Corvette this afternoon – Torch Red with Adrenaline Red seats.

1. How will that look?

2. I selected the Corvette Museum Delivery for $990 extra. Then I said, “Well, I should not have the delivery charge of $995, correct.” My order person looked at the screen, hit the keys a few times and said, “No, they still charge the local delivery fee.”

So we discussed this for a few minutes. I stated, “Well, maybe Corvette places a sign on the truck that says, “This space is where RMS’s (me) car should be, but he flew to the factory to pick it up himself.” He laughed and said he doubted it.

I said, “Then that really mean is they are charging $995 and $990 = or $1,985 for getting the car.”

Is this the way it works? Seems misleading to me.

Thoughts, thanks. Roger
Old 08-06-2013, 09:34 PM
DoTheyMakeOtherCars?
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

That's the way it works. Someone told me it was a union thing but did not explain. You pay delivery either way. I'm doing Museum delivery too :-) Red on red is ok. I probably would pick a black interior with red.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

I'm doing the museum delivery as well. Torch Red, Z51, blk wheels, 3LT, Kalahari, red calipers, & NPP exhaust pkg.

Delivery charge is on every car period. The local dealer reimburses the museum for PDI etc.

VIP factory tour and dash plaque is included.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

The "destination charge" has been with the auto industry almost from the beginning, I think.
(economics 101: high value item, customer pays the shipping costs)

When I worked for GM production back in the late 1970's we were told it had "economically morphed"
into an accounting charge for shipping all the parts to the final assembly plant, which was/is recoverable
by passing it on to the customer.

So, there's nothing you can do about it. The museum delivery charge is a separate fee for that specific privilege.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:58 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Think of it this way: museum delivery is $1985. You can reduce that to $995 if you don't want it.

Sounds better this way.

Last edited by Sin City; 08-06-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 PM
rijowysock
Racer

i wish it was otherwise, but yes it's both... if it weren't i would do it... delivery charges probably cover all the title work and so forth and bunch of hidden fee's and dealer $.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,106 Likes on 6,184 Posts

The car is actually transported from the plant to the Museum (even though it is basically across the street).
Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,454 Likes on 2,274 Posts

That's a lot of red, imo. You probably have some time to firm your "final" preference on the interior if you just placed the order, tho. And in the end, if it's red, then go for red.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Roger Sobin
Advanced

Thanks for the above input.

On seats. What is the difference of "Red Perforated" and Adrenaline Red???

I did not see the "Perforated" on the order sheet.

Have I missed something? Thanks, Roger
Old 08-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

On the C6, the perforated seats were the "sport seats," describing the material used for the seating area itself.
This designation has possibly been continued for the C7--not sure.

(this is different, and likely in addition to, the type of seat for the C7: touring or competition)
Old 08-07-2013, 12:59 AM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Sobin
Ordered my new Corvette this afternoon – Torch Red with Adrenaline Red seats.

1. How will that look?

2. I selected the Corvette Museum Delivery for $990 extra. Then I said, “Well, I should not have the delivery charge of $995, correct.” My order person looked at the screen, hit the keys a few times and said, “No, they still charge the local delivery fee.”

So we discussed this for a few minutes. I stated, “Well, maybe Corvette places a sign on the truck that says, “This space is where RMS’s (me) car should be, but he flew to the factory to pick it up himself.” He laughed and said he doubted it.

I said, “Then that really mean is they are charging $995 and $990 = or $1,985 for getting the car.”

Is this the way it works? Seems misleading to me.

Thoughts, thanks. Roger

Torch Red and Adrenaline Red are different shades of red. I don't like when 2 colors are similar, but different enough that it looks mismatched.

I think it was in the 60's when they standardized the delivery charge. Previously, they charged actual cost, but dealers in the west did not like that they had to charge more than dealers near the factories. People would buy from dealers with lower delivery charges in other states. So, the dealer's association decided that the delivery charge would be the average of all states.

The truckers union agreement with GM is that all cars will shipped on their trucks, even if it's 1 mile.

The Museum Delivery cost was $490 for many years. They decided to raise it for the C7. But, their services have increased and improved over the years. The PDI is done at the Museum by some great people. Much better than the PDI you would get from a grease monkey at your Chevy dealer. Plus, if they find a problem, they take it back to the Plant and get it fixed.

If you haven't gone there, you need to go to the NCM website: http://www.corvettemuseum.org/ncm_delivery/index.shtml
Old 08-07-2013, 01:40 AM
Promind
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C6BOB
Torch Red and Adrenaline Red are different shades of red. I don't like when 2 colors are similar, but different enough that it looks mismatched.
Half true. Adrenaline red was designed on purpose to go with torch red. Remember, this was the reveal combo. I talked with Ryan Vaughn about the color combos. If you like red and the launch car, have no hesitation-- it was a purposeful color coordination.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Roger Sobin
Advanced

Question: do any of you have or find an image of the Torch Red and the newer red seats??

I guess the carpet and interior (other than the seats) will be black. I thought that would make the red seat pop out . . .

Thoughts, thanks . . . Roger
Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Torch red with the Adreniline red interior is an excellent combination (that's what I have on order.) They were designed specifically to go together and this was the color scheme on the reveal car in Detroit.

On the delivery and destination piece, as noted, the delivery charge is a negotiated national average rate. A car being taken to the museum or a Chevrolet dealer here in Bowling Green pays exactly the same as the same Corvette being taken to northwest Oregon.

Cars for museum delivery are still transferred to the transportation company (Jack Cooper Transportation, no longer Allied), staged, loaded on a truck and driven across the street to the NCM where they are unloaded and sent in for PDI. As a result, they are subject to the rate just like every other Corvette.

Cooper is a bonded carrier and is fully responsible and liable for the vehicle until possession is transferred to the NCM, as was Allied.

The R8C (Museum Delivery) option charge gets your car not only PDI'd at the NCM (in my opinion the very best PDI - pre-delivery inspection available on a new car. It also gets you unlimited time with a member of the NCM delivery team, a tour of the assembly plant, a tour of the NCM and a complete system review of all of the features of the car and any questions that you may have.

Further, if a problem is detected during the PDI or delivery the plant gets involved immediately and either remedies it at the NCM or takes the car back across the street to be fixed.

Here are a few images of TR with AR interior.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:46 AM
TexSon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The delivery charge is an average cost to deliver a vehicle anywhere in the nation and is the same at every dealer. It is done so, granted, you are paying $990 to go a mile, but someone in the Northwest or southern Cal is still only paying $990 instead of and extra 1 or 2 grand it might cost them. Keeps folks going to the local dealer instead of everyone going to one next to the plant, where if it weren't averaged, delivery charge would be next to nothing.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:31 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

I had not seen the 2 reds - they do match. Odd that they would have 2 different names.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Roger Sobin
Advanced

Thanks so much for all of the information on the Museum Delivery and the color, and the images above. Most appreciated.

I will keep the red on red, and am planning the trip. Price-ie, flying up, getting there, the drive back, several hotels involved, eating, etc.

SAY -- is there a T-Shirt of "I'm waiting for my new 2014 Vette" or something like that?????

Get notified of new replies

To Ordered car . . . 2 questions for help . . . Roger

Old 08-07-2013, 02:20 PM
THECORVETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 110 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Default red on red ???? think twice.....

Ordered my new Corvette this afternoon – Torch Red with Adrenaline Red seats......How will that look? Thoughts, thanks.......
Think twice before you order this. My 2005 was a red on red, and it looked horrible. The shade of interior red will never match the shade of exterior red very closely. It is way too much red.
After 6 months, I dumped my '05 and had a really hard time selling it. Nobody wanted it.
So, think twice and change your colors before it is too late in the process.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Roger Sobin
Advanced

Interesting responses above to the Red on Red . . . almost a love / hate of that combination.

In the October Vette magazine -- on page 66 is another photo.

I do not want black . . . so what other options could work with the red outside . . .
Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 PM
champ_85
Instructor

Interesting responses above to the Red on Red . . . almost a love / hate of that combination.

In the October Vette magazine -- on page 66 is another photo.

I do not want black . . . so what other options could work with the red outside . . .
I ordered the Crystal Red Tintcoat with Kalahari interior. The input on the forum has been almost all positive. You may want to consider the Kalahari interior and it also protects you from the red/red overkill. Best thing to do is try to get more pictures before you get to production level.

Quick Reply: Ordered car . . . 2 questions for help . . . Roger