C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2009 Corvette Z51: Track Tested (same Driver)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Conversely, those of us buying a C7 should be able to discuss the C7 without people trolling the threads trying to derail them by bashing the C7.

What's funny is now that performance data has been obtained by third-party sources (i.e. magazines, online testers, etc.), it's not valid because they aren't "production cars". So, we will have to continue to endure the trolling, and the negativity and the sniping remarks until such point that those of us with C7's start posting drag strip and track data. Then I'm sure that data will be questioned because private owners race their cars at tracks and in conditions far better than magazines and GM do. The goal posts will continue to move.
S.
One piece of performance data: Top speed on the new C7 is way down compared to a lowly base C6 Z51, vintage 2008.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Lavender
Melting Slicks

Received 320 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
You like that argument don't you I suppose you need to have something The tires make up a piece of the difference, yes, but only 1s of 3s at VIR. But, let's keep discussing tires
I swear I have NEVER EVER seen a person so butt-hurt over a simple set of tires. He's worse than the local Viper Alley hero..or any other Rustang fanboy.

Anyway....I do enjoy the show.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:39 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavender
I swear I have NEVER EVER seen a person so butt-hurt over a simple set of tires. He's worse than the local Viper Alley hero..or any other Rustang fanboy.

Anyway....I do enjoy the show.
Butt Hurt....Please!

I would love to see the C7 on Sh@tyear tires! Everyone keeps talking how the C7 is so much better, thank GM for going with Michelins!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 427 has Michelins!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
My 427 has Michelins!
You have the C7 covered Dan!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if you missed it Sam but I did say somewhere I can't wait to roll up on a C7 and see if the driver has the cajones to run.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
In a straight, I will bet it is closer than you think on the same rubber. My GY's couldn't hook...my Michelins do!
I agree on this. There won't be a large margin in the straights.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Don't know if you missed it Sam but I did say somewhere I can't wait to roll up on a C7 and see if the driver has the cajones to run.
Same here, just for giggle's. I would be shocked if the C7 could not handle my GS!
Old 08-05-2013, 03:57 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gthal
I agree on this. There won't be a large margin in the straights.
And I agree the C7 will be a track beast not just because of the tires, but the updated and improved suspension. I cant wait to see the Z version on 305s or bigger!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:02 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

And I agree the C7 will be a track beast not just because of the tires, but the updated and improved suspension. I cant wait to see the Z version on 305s or bigger!
The Z will be crazy.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyTopp
Disappointing really considering the HP gain and the techno jump of C7 direct injection and electronics.
Fixt
Old 08-05-2013, 05:15 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

And very well should be that way! Question is by how much and "if not much" why in the world would we trade or sell a GS for a C7. I have said all along...coming from a C4 or C5, makes perfect sense for the upgrade in power. If it would flat out smoke and embarrass my GS I would order now.....ugly *** and all. At this point, I want to see what the Hi-Po model does and looks like.
and hope GM doesn't price it out of my pocket
Old 08-05-2013, 05:19 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
When the production C7 does 11's in the 1/4 there will still be those in....... DENIAL

Originally Posted by rocknroller
And with a good driver this is going to happen. Surprised we haven't seen it yet.
Of course it will. There are production C6 LS3s in the 11s
Old 08-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
One piece of performance data: Top speed on the new C7 is way down compared to a lowly base C6 Z51, vintage 2008.
Thank you for perfectly illustrating the point of my previous post (notwithstanding the fact that your claim is bogus).
S.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Uhhh...until someone has tested the car's top speed, I doubt it.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:25 PM
sweetcharity
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15

And very well should be that way! Question is by how much and "if not much" why in the world would we trade or sell a GS for a C7. I have said all along...coming from a C4 or C5, makes perfect sense for the upgrade in power. If it would flat out smoke and embarrass my GS I would order now.....ugly *** and all. At this point, I want to see what the Hi-Po model does and looks like.
Forget about the performance aspect and look at the interiors of both cars....that right there is a big enough embarrassment to make me ditch a C6 in favor of the C7
Old 08-05-2013, 07:54 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sweetcharity
Forget about the performance aspect and look at the interiors of both cars....that right there is a big enough embarrassment to make me ditch a C6 in favor of the C7
I will have to sit in one to make that call, I saw the TR at Barrett Jackson and it was nice but there again....not nice enough to step up from my GS plus I don't buy Vette's for the Interior.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2009 Corvette Z51: Track Tested (same Driver)

Old 08-05-2013, 09:29 PM
BLACKVETTE102
Advanced

sorry but anybody that has ever had to launch a C6 on stock runcraps knows how much garbage they are in a straight line. Not to mention they are heavy. Forget the badass michelins i've gone from crappy goodyears to nitto invo's and picked up almost half a second. Before I had my Z. The goodyears are literally rock solid sidewalls.

Doesn't matter much though since 99% of people will never see a strip. Hence why people saying changing different street tires has negligable effect on 1/4 mile. Most will only see the occasional random street roll race which means the only real factor their is the trap speed. And i'll tell you one thing 1 mph trap speed difference is not much to hang your hat on. That is easily close enough to call it a drivers race. To put that in perspective from a roll on 1 mph is about 10 feet distance between the from front bumper to front bumper in a race to 120. Thats not even enough to offset the extra weight of a passenger if the C6 driver is by themself. With equal traction that .1 in the 1/4 mile.

I'd just like too know where all the people went that 6 months ago was saying the C7 would be comparable to the Z06. Because if a C7 meets a Z06 on the highway and its a 117 mph trap speed car vs a 124 mph trap car that going to be a real bad beatdown. Definitly going to wait for the LT4 or 5

Last edited by BLACKVETTE102; 08-05-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BLACKVETTE102
sorry but anybody that has ever had to launch a C6 on stock runcraps knows how much garbage they are in a straight line. Not to mention they are heavy. Forget the badass michelins i've gone from crappy goodyears to nitto invo's and picked up almost half a second. Before I had my Z. The goodyears are literally rock solid sidewalls.

Doesn't matter much though since 99% of people will never see a strip. Hence why people saying changing different street tires has negligable effect on 1/4 mile. Most will only see the occasional random street roll race which means the only real factor their is the trap speed. And i'll tell you one thing 1 mph trap speed difference is not much to hang your hat on. That is easily close enough to call it a drivers race. To put that in perspective from a roll on 1 mph is about 10 feet distance between the from front bumper to front bumper in a race to 120. Thats not even enough to offset the extra weight of a passenger if the C6 driver is by themself. With equal traction that .1 in the 1/4 mile.
A few things...
I doubt that going from a 325 Goodyear to a 285 Michelin RFT is going to have any positive impact on how the car launches. They are both RFT's, both with a short sidewall and the Michelin isn't exactly a DR compound (like an MT or Hoosier DR). The Michelin isn't good enough to offset 40mm of width with respect to hooking IMO.
Invos are not RFT's and thus they have a softer sidewall and lots of people like them.
Also, I think the difference in trap speed will turn out to be more like ~3-4 mph when owners start running their cars.

I say this as somebody apparently in your 1%. I probably made well over 100 passes in the last year alone.
S.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 PM
BLACKVETTE102
Advanced

Originally Posted by Snorman
A few things...
I doubt that going from a 325 Goodyear to a 285 Michelin RFT is going to have any positive impact on how the car launches. They are both RFT's, both with a short sidewall and the Michelin isn't exactly a DR compound (like an MT or Hoosier DR). The Michelin isn't good enough to offset 40mm of width with respect to hooking IMO.
Invos are not RFT's and thus they have a softer sidewall and lots of people like them.
Also, I think the difference in trap speed will turn out to be more like ~3-4 mph when owners start running their cars.

I say this as somebody apparently in your 1%. I probably made well over 100 passes in the last year alone.
S.
Its 285 to a 285 the article did not compare a grand sport to a C7. The michelin is really that good. It is the top street tire on some of the most expensive cars out there. And the goodyears are one of the worst tires for drag racing out there. But me and you can go back and forth all day until someone gets the same tires on the same track no one will really know. At the end of the day trap speed doesn't lie and a 1 mph trap difference doesn't equate to .3 or .6 in the 1/4 if traction is equal. That is basic drag racing. Shame they didn't publish the short times. And you can THINK that the trap speed maybe wrong but that doesn't make it so. All the mag articles I have seen has it around 117 not just edmunds. a few even have the et slower. And at the end of the day since according to edmunds the C6 has 7.511 hp to pound ratio and the C7 has a 7.486 hp to pound ratio it seems that the trap speeds that the mags are making seem to be alot more realistic then your opinion. Near identical power to weight ratio, identical gearing, both have manuals, Not to mention much more rotational weight (bigger wheels, heavy driveshaft, big brakes) I'm not sure where 3-4 mph trap speed increase would come from.

Also since their was 215,125 C6 corvettes produced it is pretty fair 1 or 2% actually have enough passes to have a valid opinion in this matter.

The C7 will be a great road course car but it just doesn't do it in the straights. I think it's been seriously nudered to appease CAFE democrats and to add an easy mid model hp jump. It literally has a statistically negliable power to weight ratio improvement. 0.025 Hp to weight improvement and people question the trap speeds. If the C7 driver is 50 pounds heavier then the C6 driver it now has a worse power to weight ratio then the C6.

People will mention power under the curve and torque under 4000 rpm comparable to the LS7. Which makes a great street car and its good for a road course car if you do not know how to keep the revs up through the twisties. But means nothing from a roll. And only effects the hole shot at the strip.

Last edited by BLACKVETTE102; 08-05-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2009 Corvette Z51: Track Tested (same Driver)