Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the C7 have 2 speedometers ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 PM
John_R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why does the C7 have 2 speedometers ?

After watching the C7 test videos, I couldn't help but wonder whats the purpose for 2 speedometers?

Clearly you have the digital speedometer no matter what setting you choose, and the analog speedometer to the left. Granted I haven't seen the car in person let alone sit in it, but it seems that it would be blocked by the steering wheel.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 PM
blksw4n
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the digital goes out, you still know how fast you're going :-)
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 PM
rijowysock
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most sports cars have digital and analog..

porsche has analog left, digital center... many others as well.

did you also know they are calibrated "fast" on purpose.. usually as much as 5-8% fast so that less actual "speeding" occurs..(less news of people getting hurt).. also warning chimes are not mandatory for no seatbelt but most sports cars make them louder/annoying on purpose to also prevent loss of life in their vehicles to prevent bad press.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:17 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Well it could possibly have 3 if you get HUD.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:22 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,911 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Well it could possibly have 3 if you get HUD.
You can never have too many speedometers.

Michael
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 AM
DFW_C7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
You can never have too many speedometers.

Michael
Unfortunately plausible deniability just went out the window when we get pulled over ...

Cop: So sir you're trying to tell me you don't know how fast you were going ... not even with all 3 of those speedometers?

Old 07-30-2013, 01:31 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In case you want to read it more than once.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

It depends on the mode selected, and what you've chosen to display. Here are the images from the Chevy web site. I know there are many more options. This car also has a HUD, so as already pointed out, you could have 3 speedos displayed at once.

Weather:

Eco:

Tour:

Sport:

Track:

Old 07-30-2013, 03:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,046 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

One of the nice things about our C5 and C6 is the large analog speedometer, I can easily read to within 1/3 mph and the unit is so accurate that it's useful information.

The dial on the C7 looks smaller and a smaller arc, so we will lose a bit of clarity there. Oh well...
Old 07-30-2013, 03:34 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock

did you also know they are calibrated "fast" on purpose.. usually as much as 5-8% fast so that less actual "speeding" occurs..(less news of people getting hurt).. also warning chimes are not mandatory for no seatbelt but most sports cars make them louder/annoying on purpose to also prevent loss of life in their vehicles to prevent bad press.
Calibrated fast??? No, they have a tolerance that is allowed by the government. But they are not calibrated on purpose to be 5-8% fast. check your with gps. I know on my Acura it's dead on. I've been in other cars, at various speeds I've seen them be off by a mile, maybe 2 at the most. But rarely.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:48 PM
rijowysock
Racer

Originally Posted by speedlink
Calibrated fast??? No, they have a tolerance that is allowed by the government. But they are not calibrated on purpose to be 5-8% fast. check your with gps. I know on my Acura it's dead on. I've been in other cars, at various speeds I've seen them be off by a mile, maybe 2 at the most. But rarely.
buy more cars... and check em out.

my 2011 and 2012 cayenne, both 8% over.
my 2012 991 carrera, 8% over
my 2010 GTR, 5% over
my 2007 911 Turbo, 5% over

maybe it depends on brand, but every new car i have owned was a little fast on the speedo.. asked a porsche engineer once at a porsche setup driving event and they said that it was done on purpose for safety...

also shows why car magazines use GPS instead of relying on the cars instruments.

easiest way to check is the radar signs on highway/street... but you can use GPs/app if desired..

was a large discussion on it regarding "false" mileage, but they allow a variance so it's not illegal.. cause technically you would be adding extra miles.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

my 2010 GTR, 5% over

maybe it depends on brand, but every new car i have owned was a little fast on the speedo.. asked a porsche engineer once at a porsche setup driving event and they said that it was done on purpose for safety...

also shows why car magazines use GPS instead of relying on the cars instruments.

easiest way to check is the radar signs on highway/street... but you can use GPs/app if desired..

was a large discussion on it regarding "false" mileage, but they allow a variance so it's not illegal.. cause technically you would be adding extra miles.
Must be German cars. My wife's GTI reads faster then the car is going. I checked it with our GPS.. What is it with Germans!
Old 07-30-2013, 04:02 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

my 2010 GTR, 5% over

Then all of those cars are cheating on their warranty by 5-8%. You will loose the amount of mileage you are supposed to be covered for. That could be the real reason. It's cheating. And it may be related to the manufacturer. My wife had a Hyundai that had that problem. When I brought the discrepancy they finally replaced the odometer after much deliberation.
I think if anyone else finds this to be true they should fight it. The speedometer/odometer should be accurate. If not, it's fraud. Just think if all manufactures did this. When you add up the total fleet miles for warranties, they could save themselves 5-8% on warranty related claims. Total dollars much much more. Depending on the average amount of the claims.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:23 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Must be German cars. My wife's GTI reads faster then the car is going. I checked it with our GPS.. What is it with Germans!
My Mini is the same way. A steady 75 by my GPS (cruise set) the car's speedometer reads 77.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:38 PM
tbasco 6
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

The new Z/28 eliminated the radio for weight savings but had to install one small speaker for the seatbelt chime (govt mandated) to protect us from ourselves.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Iceman5000
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by tbasco 6
The new Z/28 eliminated the radio for weight savings but had to install one small speaker for the seatbelt chime (govt mandated) to protect us from ourselves.
Correct!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

my 2010 GTR, 5% over

My Mercedes reads 2 MPH above the actual speed(GPS) whether it's at 30 MPH or 80 MPH and my C6 is dead on(the analog reads the same as my GPS, but the digital reads approximately 1/2 MPH slower.

Had my old 64 coupe out Saturday and checked it against my GPS. Analog speedometer approximately 1/2 MPH faster than my GPS. That was with the original full mechanical connection(cable) between the transmission and the speedometer head. BUT, that was running modern radial tires that are 1" smaller in diameter than the OE 6.70-15 tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Why does the C7 have 2 speedometers ?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:22 AM
Mregor
Instructor

My C6 was off from DIC cruise speed to the HUD displayed speed. If I set cruise at 75, HUD read 77.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:16 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Assuming that the roadside radar speed sign in my neighborhood is correct, my 2010 Mercedes S550 speedometer is dead on accurate and has been ever since I bought it three years ago.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 AM
rijowysock
Racer

Originally Posted by speedlink
Then all of those cars are cheating on their warranty by 5-8%. You will loose the amount of mileage you are supposed to be covered for. That could be the real reason. It's cheating. And it may be related to the manufacturer. My wife had a Hyundai that had that problem. When I brought the discrepancy they finally replaced the odometer after much deliberation.
I think if anyone else finds this to be true they should fight it. The speedometer/odometer should be accurate. If not, it's fraud. Just think if all manufactures did this. When you add up the total fleet miles for warranties, they could save themselves 5-8% on warranty related claims. Total dollars much much more. Depending on the average amount of the claims.
i agree on the warranty part, but... any "borderline" warranty issues i've had (i.e. very close to warranty end) they generally allow them under good faith...

i guess the % over depends on brand, but my personal findings were over...

Quick Reply: Why does the C7 have 2 speedometers ?