C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is GM or this study right about the buying trends of future car buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Joined 7-6-2013 with three posts. Quite an expert on Corvette owners, he thinks he is..........
how does a number of posts in this forum correlate to corvette knowledge? You don't have to be an active member of this forum to know a thing or two about vettes. Seriously?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 PM
BLKTA
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I think there are several factors at play here. The US is just not the car culture it used to be and this generation of kids definitely are not as interested in driving as previous generations. My 18 year old son was in no rush to get his license and got it on his b-day (bought him a boring, but safe and reliable Olds which he loves). His friends were the same way.

I know that's not the target demographic for the C7 but I will say it has caught his eye and attention like no other new car. He recently came up to me ranting about the new Stingray. I told him it's the name of the new C7 Corvette and he looked at me puzzled and said "Oh, well it's awesome and I love the looks."
Old 07-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
The corvette is becoming less popular since like a post said, there are allot of sport
sedans that look just as good.
Like what? I just can't get excited about a sports sedan.

Speaking of colors, I saw a 5 series BMW on the road today in a color other than white, silver, grey or black. It was a metallic maroon, and I literally could not take my eyes off of it, as the sun hit the paint from different angles at various parts of the body. It was such a rare occurrence, he might as well have been driving a Ferrari. He also ggets extra points for having the guts to buy a luxury car in a color other than the standard four.

Michael
Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Do you not want your car to look good? I mean if you just actually enjoy duller colors more than brighter ones, then sure, I guess your logic holds up. But bright colors are not [necessarily] for attention. Some of us like bright colors on our cars just because they put a smile on our face every time we see them. And because it's borderline depressing being on the freeway in a traffic jam surrounded by a sea of various shades of gray and brown.
Looks are subjective. In the 1980's neon was in (clothing) & 10 years later it was considered outdated & only people that were older & were out of fashion wore it. Trust me, just because you are young does not mean you have better taste. Chances are, you simply want to be different than the generation that preceded you thus whatever they like, you will like the opposite. This cycle never ends. Your kids will likely say to their friends "I don't know why my dad picked that ugly bright green car". The more things change, the more they stay the same...short hair, long hair etc...
Old 07-30-2013, 06:44 PM
85scott
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Imagine how much more appealing owning a new car is, than say 20 years ago. When you now get amazing performance, better styling, luxury, build quality, etc.

Combine that with today's gotta-have-it-now culture.
The virtal zero rates, easy leasing, etc.

And you can see why so many people buy new cars.
However, I also expect more boom & bust cycles than before too.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 AM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sin City

The other reason is that younger people do not see the need to drive. Insurance is outrageous for this group. They would rather text each other than meet at the mall.

It's not just young people but everyone who finds no need to pile on the miles like we all did prior to the referenced year of 2004 .

How many miles wasted running purchasing related errands are saved now by the internet . I now buy probably 90 perecent of my hard goods on line at the cheapest price anywhere with just a mouse click and it shows up at my door , and if from Amazon, it arrives in two days with free Amazon Prime shipping. I have bought small , inexpensive but needed items on Amazon that were less than the gas I would have used , not even counting the item cost itself ! I save scores of hours wasted in gas and time and aggravation with traffic and clueless sales clerks , etc, etc. I prefer to use that money saved to gas up my boat !
Latest example ....my cell phone battery started acting up a three days ago while up at my summer lake home , with nearest phone store 60 miles away . New one delivered to my doorstep yesterday for 4 bucks, with free shipping from Amazon . Would have cost me 25 bucks just in gas to drive to the store and back , which I would have had to have done 10 yrs ago.

Last edited by usroute66 MKW; 07-31-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:09 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Driving is not as much fun anymore for a number of reasons.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:55 PM
WHT
Drifting

Time will tell.

The younger buyers are NOT into cars as much as previous generations. Most say in polls they would rather have a fast computer or smart phone over a fast car. Too much traffic, congestion and hassle to make a fast (relatively expensive) car desirable. Plus our middle class is dying economically and the young have less opportunity for well paying jobs.

I don't think C7 sales will be as good as GM wants or needs. And, ironically, the "old farts" C7 fan boys and GM seem to dislike so much are still the main buyers for moderately expensive sports cars.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:10 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zland
Looks are subjective. In the 1980's neon was in (clothing) & 10 years later it was considered outdated & only people that were older & were out of fashion wore it. Trust me, just because you are young does not mean you have better taste. Chances are, you simply want to be different than the generation that preceded you thus whatever they like, you will like the opposite. This cycle never ends. Your kids will likely say to their friends "I don't know why my dad picked that ugly bright green car". The more things change, the more they stay the same...short hair, long hair etc...
You misinterpreted my post. I never said my tastes were better or worse than others' tastes. I just said that my desire (and anyone else's desire) for certain colors was not necessarily motivated by the desire for attention, but just because we think it looks better.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:15 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT
Time will tell.

The younger buyers are NOT into cars as much as previous generations. Most say in polls they would rather have a fast computer or smart phone over a fast car. Too much traffic, congestion and hassle to make a fast (relatively expensive) car desirable. Plus our middle class is dying economically and the young have less opportunity for well paying jobs.

I don't think C7 sales will be as good as GM wants or needs. And, ironically, the "old farts" C7 fan boys and GM seem to dislike so much are still the main buyers for moderately expensive sports cars.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:30 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usroute66 MKW
It's not just young people but everyone who finds no need to pile on the miles like we all did prior to the referenced year of 2004 .

How many miles wasted running purchasing related errands are saved now by the internet . I now buy probably 90 perecent of my hard goods on line at the cheapest price anywhere with just a mouse click and it shows up at my door , and if from Amazon, it arrives in two days with free Amazon Prime shipping. I have bought small , inexpensive but needed items on Amazon that were less than the gas I would have used , not even counting the item cost itself ! I save scores of hours wasted in gas and time and aggravation with traffic and clueless sales clerks , etc, etc. I prefer to use that money saved to gas up my boat !
Latest example ....my cell phone battery started acting up a three days ago while up at my summer lake home , with nearest phone store 60 miles away . New one delivered to my doorstep yesterday for 4 bucks, with free shipping from Amazon . Would have cost me 25 bucks just in gas to drive to the store and back , which I would have had to have done 10 yrs ago.
Just to add to what you've posted... many more people now work from home, myself included, as opposed to 10 years ago. I figure I'm saving one hour of driving per day, or 5 hours per week, at a minimum. It's more about the time and aggravation saved than the gas money.

I've been doing this for 4 years now and have no desire to rejoin the rush hour commute. It's not for everybody, obviously, but it works great for me at this stage in my life.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:53 PM
WHT
Drifting

Originally Posted by usroute66 MKW

I totally agree. But, that's because you are a man. My wife and daughter see driving and shopping as a recreational past time. They see most online buying, and Amazon especially, as an evil institution designed to take all of the fun out of spending money. They will take tactile experiences over convenience any day, anytime. That of course also includes a long lunch at a nice restaurant to regain their strength for more afternoon driving and buying.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:30 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT
I totally agree. But, that's because you are a man. My wife and daughter see driving and shopping as a recreational past time. They see most online buying, and Amazon especially, as an evil institution designed to take all of the fun out of spending money. They will take tactile experiences over convenience any day, anytime. That of course also includes a long lunch at a nice restaurant to regain their strength for more afternoon driving and buying.
My wife loves to go shop dressed in her fancy designer crap carrying her latest fancy purse. Why? To show off to all the other women doing the same crap. It's akin to shining up your Corvette to go drive through the car show. Sure you can look at pictures online, but car shows are much more fun.

Quick Reply: Is GM or this study right about the buying trends of future car buyers?