C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is GM going to reduce the curb weight of the future Hi-Po C7?

Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by MEJ
What I don't understand is how come the C7 got heavier in its newest gen but the Porsche 911, which is also bigger, ended up lighter? The Porsche has all top quality interior materials which would not be lighter and the whole body shell is made of galvanized steel. So where does the weight of the C7 come from?
Body and frame is much lighter. Cam, brakes, diff, gearbox, radiators, more lubricant, cylinder deactivation mechanism, seats, etc.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:38 PM
SharkbyteLT4
Le Mans Master

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

The one thing you got to remember the Z06 is built to be fast around the road course, not the drag strip. I bet if you put the ls7 in the base stingray, it would beat a c6z despite the weight disadvantage due to its stiffer frame and new generation magnetic shocks.

I think they are going to have to go FI to get to the power level they need to smoke the viper and you can put the GT500 in their too. You cant build a big cube motor making 600hp that runs smooth like butter. Not everybody loves the big cam feel in their cars.

But to get on point here with the weight. I think they are going to have to do a CF driveshaft and CF rear fenders/fascia. That should be 40 or so pounds right here.
I think they will offer carbon ceramic brakes but leave that as a option due to its increased cost.

Either way we are all looking at almost a 100k Z06 for the C7
Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC_427_Vert
The one thing you got to remember the Z06 is built to be fast around the road course, not the drag strip. I bet if you put the ls7 in the base stingray, it would beat a c6z despite the weight disadvantage due to its stiffer frame and new generation magnetic shocks.

I think they are going to have to go FI to get to the power level they need to smoke the viper and you can put the GT500 in their too. You cant build a big cube motor making 600hp that runs smooth like butter. Not everybody loves the big cam feel in their cars.

But to get on point here with the weight. I think they are going to have to do a CF driveshaft and CF rear fenders/fascia. That should be 40 or so pounds right here.
I think they will offer carbon ceramic brakes but leave that as a option due to its increased cost.

Either way we are all looking at almost a 100k Z06 for the C7
OK, I don't really have a dog in this race (since I am happy with my 622 h/p, 3050 lb Z06 for now). BUT, having had a lot of Vettes including one C5 Z06, 2 C6 Z06's, one C4 ZR-1 and one C6 ZR1, I have looked at C7 performance variants with some interest.

First, I think Keeks was right that the LT1 was set up as the base for a FI performance variant. Second, I don't believe GM will affix the Z06 moniker to any FI model. Z06's have always been N/A whether they were C2s, C5s or C6s. It wouldn't even surprise me if the C7 performance version is not called "ZR1." Third, I am dubious that a business case can be made for GM to produce two high performance C7 variants, at least not anytime soon. Sales figures tell the tale - the hi po variants sold in very small numbers vs the base and GS cars. The investment needed to support two high performance models seems to not make very good business sense to me. The price point for Corvette has a definite ceiling. As someone pointed out, as the C6 Z's raised prices drastically, their volumes fell accordingly.

Just IMHO..
Old 08-01-2013, 08:29 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by irun4cops
so what is the downside to a mag wheel? they shatter if curbed. But they dont shatter from bumps (very rare)

so you are chevy, and you have the opportunity to make money on a oem 1500 dollar wheel when guys wives curb them.

Oh no, thats just a horrible idea that makes money. Dont do that.
Uhhh..it doesnt work that way....first wife curbed wheel that shatters hubbie will be on Corvette Forum exhorting the troops to organize a class action suit against GM , asking for an immediate NHTSA investigation, pics on auto sites worldwide within a few minures , story on that night's local news of the Corvette wheel that exploded "tapping " a curb while parallel parking.

Last edited by usroute66 MKW; 08-01-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

few car companies on earth top performance car... makes them money from sales.

They build the car to be able to compete at racetracks... and win

They sell hats, and shirts, and get on covers of magazines... and all the other cars, that are of that brand, have people who cheer and say "I DRIVE A _____ TOO!!!"

Mclaren f1 didnt make money
ferrari enzo and up i dont believe have
the only company who might is porsche because they are overcharging for something that is not that complicated like a gt2 or a gt3...

Point is, even if chevy loses money to make a z06 and a zr1... they will do it. They must have something to give people to brag about. its that simple.

Will they lose money when its over? no. But will they make huge profits? No. Does that bother them? No.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:14 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by usroute66 MKW
Uhhh..it doesnt work that way....first wife curbed wheel that shatters hubbie will be on Corvette Forum exhorting the troops to organize a class action suit against GM , asking for an immediate NHTSA investigation, pics on auto sites worldwide within a few minures , story on that night's local news of the Corvette wheel that exploded "tapping " a curb while parallel parking.
perhaps. Not saying what you are saying doesnt make sense.

But, with all the c5z06 wheels made... or even the MAG wheel option on the c5...

do you know of any suits off hand? Or events that you are speaking of?

I dont recall any. And i know people on the forum still pay top dollar for both used for use on their track cars... so...

...?

And since we owned a few chevy stores... on the other hand do recall people's wives shattering wheels and coming in and buying replacements and they were not cheap. Don't recall any suits tho. Or news casts. But, times change, people whine about more every day, so you may be right.

Last edited by irun4cops; 08-01-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Don't forget that GM got a 4120 pound car to do a 7:41 at the Ring.

Now it's certainly not a perfect comparison, but that's ahead of times that a couple C6Zs, GT2/GT3s, Skyline GTRs, R8, Lambos, M3 GTS, SLS AMG, Zonda, Ferrari 599.

I think every variation of this car will be incredible on a track no matter the curb weight.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:58 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdhommert
Don't forget that GM got a 4120 pound car to do a 7:41 at the Ring.

Now it's certainly not a perfect comparison, but that's ahead of times that a couple C6Zs, GT2/GT3s, Skyline GTRs, R8, Lambos, M3 GTS, SLS AMG, Zonda, Ferrari 599.

I think every variation of this car will be incredible on a track no matter the curb weight.
Ahead of a couple of C6 Zs? Just to get real world for a moment, in 2011 Jim Mero drove a ZR1 & a Z06 at the Ring.

ZR1 7:19 and change
Z06 7:22 and change.

To my knowledge no GM testing of any C6 Z was in the +7:41 category.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Suaveat69
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Ahead of a couple of C6 Zs? Just to get real world for a moment, in 2011 Jim Mero drove a ZR1 & a Z06 at the Ring.

ZR1 7:19 and change
Z06 7:22 and change.

To my knowledge no GM testing of any C6 Z was in the +7:41 category.
Th first C6Z with magnussen was 7:42. It was done with full track and a standing start.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:41 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaveat69
Th first C6Z with magnussen was 7:42. It was done with full track and a standing start.
what tires were on the 7:42 car?
Old 08-03-2013, 01:33 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

whats the point in arguing over a bad time? 7:42? Theres a million variables that yield a bad time... who was driving?

The only relevant point here is that a z06 made it around in 7:22.

What the c7 does it in will be compared to that number.

What the c7 z06 does will be compared to that number.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:34 PM
irun4cops
Melting Slicks

"i know a z06 that took 12 minutes to go around the ring, therefore you guys are lying!"
"yeah, but what tires were on it?!?!"

Listen to yourselves. Who cares.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How is GM going to reduce the curb weight of the future Hi-Po C7?