Sponsored by:

C 7 Projected Sales

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:06 PM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
I agree, I just don't see that happening. I think GM sold ~12k the year before last.
S.
To be fair, it was an old design in a competitive market. What was hot in 2006, ain't hot in 2013 to most of the buying market.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:08 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
I'm going to give Chevy the benefit of the doubt here. They certainly knew in advance how many sales they would get by having the C6 around a few more years, even if they upgraded it, versus an entire new design like the C7.

And, I wouldn't doubt that the C6 would have been discontinued anyway with new crash regulations, increased costs, obsoleted shared parts, and fleet fuel mileage standards at some point. The pressure must have been on from the top to get sales up and not drag the rest of the fleet down.

It is a business after all.

But I also agree that the Corvette is "worth" far more to Chevy and GM than just the sales. It's been the symbol of the company for years. Killing it would be like Ford killing the Mustang after the Mustang 2 fiasco. I'm sure some bean counters told the Ford exec's the Mustang was done and not worth reinvesting. It's easy to say "no" to everything. The problem is, nothing ever gets done if you do.

My feeling is that it may take 30K cars in 2 years to break even -- which I'm sure Team Corvette told GM they could do. I'm sure they do not want to be a money loser to the company. If they are, there will be no C8.

But kill it because it only got 29K cars in 2 years? Never gonna happen.

I agree. Corvette, carries its own weight on profit/loss and I bet the team has a very good idea how to keep their profitability streak going.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:32 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

The previously posted 18 to 20K units seems ambitious but also realistic as a sales target. GM will support the vette as they always have, as a halo car for tech advances and an attention draw to the Chevy brand. So many things should have killed the vette by now: only 300 were made in its first year, then the 1970's with de- tuning and rubber bumpers, and even the recent recession and bankruptcy. It's still around, getting under people's skin for now, but when it hits the dealers in numbers it will sell itself, going to be hard to resist.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverC6AZ
If they plan on selling 30,000/year the dealers will eventually need to start discounting off MSRP. They are not going sell 30,000 units a year all at/near MSRP. I'm waiting for prices to drop and there are thousands more waiting just like me.
I'm sure you have noticed that discounts are already being given. As soon as the "must have it first buyers" cycle through and the pre-orders are done watch the pants come down on the pricing. The more the dealers order unsold units, the more the price will come down.
As has been stated don't take the weak economy out of the equation, as much as many on this forum think b/c some rag reviews have been good it doesn't change peoples priorities.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:49 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
I'm sure you have noticed that discounts are already being given. As soon as the "must have it first buyers" cycle through and the pre-orders are done watch the pants come down on the pricing. The more the dealers order unsold units, the more the price will come down.
As has been stated don't take the weak economy out of the equation, as much as many on this forum think b/c some rag reviews have been good it doesn't change peoples priorities.
However, even in this lousy economy I think it will take more than 30,000 units before the general population gets below msrp.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

I'm going to give Chevy the benefit of the doubt here. They certainly knew in advance how many sales they would get by having the C6 around a few more years, even if they upgraded it, versus an entire new design like the C7.

And, I wouldn't doubt that the C6 would have been discontinued anyway with new crash regulations, increased costs, obsoleted shared parts, and fleet fuel mileage standards at some point. The pressure must have been on from the top to get sales up and not drag the rest of the fleet down.

It is a business after all.

But I also agree that the Corvette is "worth" far more to Chevy and GM than just the sales. It's been the symbol of the company for years. Killing it would be like Ford killing the Mustang after the Mustang 2 fiasco. I'm sure some bean counters told the Ford exec's the Mustang was done and not worth reinvesting. It's easy to say "no" to everything. The problem is, nothing ever gets done if you do.

My feeling is that it may take 30K cars in 2 years to break even -- which I'm sure Team Corvette told GM they could do. I'm sure they do not want to be a money loser to the company. If they are, there will be no C8.

But kill it because it only got 29K cars in 2 years? Never gonna happen.
This is the most sensible comment out there. And based reading of how the automobile industry works and knowledge of business in general, the truth.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:29 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

yawn....
Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 PM
WhiteAndBlackC7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6

I think 30k a year in this economy is a lofty goal.
Stock market at all time highs
Home prices at 5 year highs, 10% rise in value in past year alone
corporate earnings at record levels
unemployment at 4 year low
household income at multi-year highs

... the "economy" card should not be used any more. That is outdated and not relevant anymore. If "good economy" means making a living at the peak of an unrealistic economical bubble like it was back in 2006/2007, then you will always think the economy is "bad". Truth is, the economy is normal. Smart people making money, stupid people still poor.

Last edited by WhiteAndBlackC7; 07-28-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
yawn....
Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteAndBlackC7
Stock market at all time highs
Home prices at 5 year highs, 10% rise in value in past year alone
corporate earnings at record levels
unemployment at 4 year low
household income at multi-year highs

... the "economy" card should not be used any more. That is outdated and not relevant anymore. If "good economy" means making a living at the peak of an unrealistic economical bubble like it was back in 2006/2007, then you will always think the economy is "bad". Truth is, the economy is normal. Smart people making money, stupid people still poor.
Unemployment and under employment still over 10%. National debt almost doubled since 08 (need to raise the debt ceiling again), government deficit spending of 800 billion a year,over 100 million on food stamps, ACA health care fiasco, just to name a few.

If you think this economy is normal...
Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 PM
WhiteAndBlackC7
Instructor

Unemployment and under employment still over 10%. National debt almost doubled since 08 (need to raise the debt ceiling again), government deficit spending of 800 billion a year,over 100 million on food stamps, ACA health care fiasco, just to name a few.

I live and do business in California with many companies. Things are booming out here, people are doing well. A $50-60K car is the norm here. I don't know anything about Minnesota, except the state gets snow sometimes, but I think maybe the economy issues you are stating may be isolated to your state.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:28 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I live and do business in California with many companies. Things are booming out here, people are doing well. A $50-60K car is the norm here. I don't know anything about Minnesota, except the state gets snow sometimes, but I think maybe the economy issues you are stating may be isolated to your state.

I'm not going to hijack this thread but I suggest you go over to PRC and start a thread on how great the economy is....
Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I'm not going to hijack this thread but I suggest you go over to PRC and start a thread on how great the economy is....
Old 07-28-2013, 07:32 PM
WhiteAndBlackC7
Instructor

Yes, let's not hijack it. Let's stay on topic.. and I assure you C7 sales will be very good. We are not talking about a $100K car here, but a $52-70K vehicle.

If you think that the economy is so bad and 30,000 C7 sales wont happen, explain how Tesla is on track to sell almost 20,000 Model S sedans that have an average price of over $100K?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Although I agree the economy is one factor, there's been a softening in the market for 2 seat sports cars for years in favor of sports sedans. There's more competition now for those who want more than just a people mover. People want more practicality.

Like it or not, your BMW SUV does a lot of what a sports car can do and feel like-- and still take the kids to school or pick up the groceries. And they cost the same if not more than the Corvette.

Do you know what Porsche's best seller is? The 911? Nope. It's the Cayenne.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 PM
WhiteAndBlackC7
Instructor

Although I agree the economy is one factor, there's been a softening in the market for 2 seat sports cars for years in favor of sports sedans. There's more competition now for those who want more than just a people mover. People want more practicality.

Like it or not, your BMW SUV does a lot of what a sports car can do and feel like-- and still take the kids to school or pick up the groceries. And they cost the same if not more than the Corvette.

This I can agree on.

Corvette sales are strictly affected by interest in 2 seater sports cars. Practicality has always been the 2-seater's enemy.

In the days of Jeep SRTs, Porsche Cayennes, and BMW X5-M's the 2 seater Corvette typically appeals to those looking for a weekend toy rather than a practical daily driver, especially those with kids. I feel the economy could be doing 10X better than it is now, and it wouldn't matter too much because it comes down to the actual interest in the vehicle more than anything. Hell, even auto loans are the cheapest they have been in decades!

I have a Chevy Silverado, BMW X5-M, and will now have the C7 Stingray. The SUV is just not the same as a 2 seater sports car. The Stingray will be my weekend warrior... I just cannot do the "Jack of all trades / master of none" thing with a performance SUV, and that is why my wife drives the X5-M. It's fun when taking the kids places and I am driving it, but there is no replacement for a sports car.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Yes, let's not hijack it. Let's stay on topic.. and I assure you C7 sales will be very good. We are not talking about a $100K car here, but a $52-70K vehicle.

If you think that the economy is so bad and 30,000 C7 sales wont happen, explain how Tesla is on track to sell almost 20,000 Model S sedans that have an average price of over $100K?

I don't think the economy will restrict sales much. It's the size of the market that's changing. There are just fewer people who still want or can justify a dedicated 2 seat sports car.

Get notified of new replies

To C 7 Projected Sales

Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I think thats one of the problems when you're marketing a high end two seat sports car to younger families. I know several youngsters in that income level but their two and three kids keep them from even thinking about a car like a Corvette.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:43 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

I have a Chevy Silverado, BMW X5-M, and will now have the C7 Stingray. The SUV is just not the same as a 2 seater sports car. The Stingray will be my weekend warrior... .
The average new Ferrari buyer has 5 cars. Any wonder why they get driven so little and only on weekends?
Old 07-28-2013, 07:45 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
See post above for the source of this "rumor"

You might be wrong? There's a ton of $$$ in the R&D behind this one!

WB
you smokem too much weed in peace pipe.

Quick Reply: C 7 Projected Sales