St. Jude Donor '14
Default Hot Rod Magazine Review and commentary from Peter Brock

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...y/viewall.html
Old 07-27-2013, 07:12 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
Nice read... some of their comments on the group complaining were funny Especially his comment... "the taillights really don't look like a Camaro's. If you don't like them, that's fine. From your vantage point, they'll get smaller very quickly, anyway."

But here is something the said that I wasn't aware of or heard before...

So the car's easy to drive and easy to bangshift with the No Lift Shift programming.
Is that true? No lift upshifts? Wow if true... THAT would be fun
Old 07-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,160 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Some of the quotes I like:

The computer controls cannot change the laws of physics, so you can still get in plenty of trouble. We found out exactly how much trouble when all the electronic assistance was shut off, and we could barely keep the nose pointed downstream. We want to believe that we're better drivers than any computer. It's just not true. We're barely as good as the Sport 1 setting. You can look at the Corvette's computer one of two ways: It either gives you faster lap times or it keeps you from getting stupid. Probably both.
As for us, we feel the cars look better in person than in the photos we'd seen prior, and they change radically depending on color: The metallics highlight the myriad body lines, and the light solids tend to smooth them out. The selections of wheel and roof finishes also alter the vibe from car to car. The textures of the slightly metallic black trim and the nature of the various interior surfaces just don't read in print or on the screen, but they add a lot in person.
And, hey, you—Facebook guy; the taillights really don't look like a Camaro's. If you don't like them, that's fine. From your vantage point, they'll get smaller very quickly, anyway.
We caught up with Brock and asked him for opinions on the new car and the origin and rebirth of the Sting Ray (Stingray) name.
"I think it's the first really new exciting Corvette since Mitchell directed the design of the '63. The big difference is that this time everything on or about the car is real! No more phony slots, scoops, and vents. Everything that has been learned by the Pratt and Miller team in years of competition has been directly applied. I think the overall exterior design is excellent, giving the Corvette a new fresh look that is not only handsome but aerodynamically efficient—something that was sadly lacking on both the '59 prototype XP87 Stingray ‘Racer' and the production '63 and even the [original] Grand Sport.

"I think negative opinions will change once naysayers actually see the car. The taillights, for example, have come under criticism as ‘too Camaro,' but when you study them closely they are jewel-like with great depth—really ‘today' in lighting.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:20 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by gthal
Nice read... some of their comments on the group complaining were funny Especially his comment... "the taillights really don't look like a Camaro's. If you don't like them, that's fine. From your vantage point, they'll get smaller very quickly, anyway."

I caught the "No Lift upshifts" also. I hadn't read it before, would be interested in learning more about it. I also never knew the true origin if the Stingray name. Good info in that article imo. Hot Rod is always good for an unbiased review and some good laughs thrown in. Lol
Old 07-27-2013, 07:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,493 Likes on 1,954 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I haven't read the other "interviews" or even Brock's. But his reputation precedes him. He is a noted driver, designer and builder. I'll read his/this column for sure. He's done everything from Cobras (Shelby) Datsuns (Hap Sharp/Paul Newman cars).
Old 07-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good article, thanks for sharing

No lift shifting will further the lack for need of old school talents in a modern day world of electronic wizarrdy ........ not always the plus the uninitiated will think it to be

The one negative that stood out IMO is the bit about the dash being out of focus .......... don't think I would like that very much

Great write-up on the electronic rear diff.

The things they can do these days is amazing

Last edited by Shurshot; 07-27-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,160 Likes on 6,209 Posts

We find the computerized dash display annoying because it's not quite in focus, and the simulated tach needle is jumpy rather than smooth. That said, temper our opinion with the knowledge that we also don't like the touchscreen audio/info center. In any car. We're looking forward to the day those go the way of the eight-track, and they can take engine start/stop pushbuttons with them.
They're Neanderthals! In need of glasses!
Old 07-27-2013, 07:48 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,477 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Nice read.

Thanks for posting.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 PM
edved
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

One of the best reviews posted yet!

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:28 AM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Originally Posted by edved
One of the best reviews posted yet!

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:30 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 609 Likes on 191 Posts

I am tired of guys making political rants on car forums. This isn't a cable news forum. I am sure if you want to talk politics you can find plenty of folks to do it on political forums. Can we focus on cars?

I hope everyone realizes that any Political statement you makes angers about 50% of the readers and it then derails the thread. Remember...best to not discuss politics and religion...
Old 07-28-2013, 09:12 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,359 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Thanks for posting the article.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:42 AM
JudgeNjury
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No lift up shifts gets my vote for cool new corvette tech....
Old 07-28-2013, 10:25 AM
es
Pro

Originally Posted by gthal

Rev match on upshifts is something that GM has talked about since the first release of info back in January but almost everyone missed/ignored it until this review from Hot Rod. All the other reviews talk about the downshift and stop there. Glad to see it finally being brought to everyones' attention. Now all we need are more details.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:36 AM
jsc7vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by AORoads
I haven't read the other "interviews" or even Brock's. But his reputation precedes him. He is a noted driver, designer and builder. I'll read his/this column for sure. He's done everything from Cobras (Shelby) Datsuns (Hap Sharp/Paul Newman cars).
Plus Peter was a designer under Harley Earle and Bill Mitchell and penned the initial sketch for the 1963 Split Window Stringray.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 AM
jsc7vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Good article, thanks for sharing

No lift shifting will further the lack for need of old school talents in a modern day world of electronic wizarrdy ........ not always the plus the uninitiated will think it to be

The one negative that stood out IMO is the bit about the dash being out of focus .......... don't think I would like that very much

Great write-up on the electronic rear diff.

The things they can do these days is amazing
I saw that as well and wondered since none of the other magazine reviewers ever made a similar comment. Also the shots of the dash that I have seen all appear to be in focus. I wonder if they were talking about the HUD but again, no one else has made a similar critique.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,886 Likes on 1,174 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by es
Rev match on upshifts is something that GM has talked about since the first release of info back in January but almost everyone missed/ignored it until this review from Hot Rod.
Rev-matched upshifts and NLS aren't the same thing. The ZR1 has NLS if Launch Control is used. The CTS-V also has it, but it's always active. The basic idea: keep your foot planted firmly to the floor, clutch, shift, de-clutch, and keep going. The computer will hold whatever RPM the engine was in when you clutched versus letting it bounce off the rev-limiter.

It's entirely different from rev-matching the upshifts.

Get notified of new replies

To Hot Rod Magazine Review and commentary from Peter Brock

Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14

Lol Hot Rod is the only muscle car magazine that I have a subscription to that's not geared towards specifically Chevy. They tend to drive the vehicles and give honest reviews.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:11 PM
live2drive
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
Another good review. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:14 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,202 Likes on 706 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

if you cannot keep the political commentary out of here then find another topic or click on the link that takes you to PRC...LAST WARNING

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Magazine Review and commentary from Peter Brock