Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 = Great Car; Chevy Service = ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:15 PM
c5vette73
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 90 Posts

Default C7 = Great Car; Chevy Service = ?

I must say that the only concern I have with the C7 has nothing to do with the car itself.

My concern is having to deal with the Chevy service dept.

This will be my 3rd vette, with a Lexus being my current car.

I felt that Lexus service dept was stellar. I can't say that about Chevy.

I don't mind the compromise, but I guess you can't have it all.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM
harrydunn
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Without opening a can of worms but giving an honest assessment of my two local Chevy dealers, I can't say either one has been much count. They are nice enough but in the past I've usually ended up taking things back for them to try again (tire balances, leaks, etc). What finally convinced me to find a great privately-owned repair facility was the Smart Choice warranty fiasco some of you may remember back in 2003 and beyond. I had $1,200 worth of warranty work performed and the dealer assured me that if I paid it upfront, I would be reimbursed in less than one month. SEVEN YEARS later, I received a little over $900 after a class action suit. Oh, well. That's how it goes sometimes. Live and learn.

Car dealers obviously make their money on selling new cars so I feel many of them neglect their service departments.

Just my .02, peeps.

Last edited by harrydunn; 07-26-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

It's 100% hit or miss with service. Best advice is find the best dealer in your area and be willing to drive for service. In my area a dealership in Newport News (about 45min to an hour) had a "Vette shop" with a Corvette only master tech. I'd take it up there for everything. Unfortunately he passed away a few years back of a sudden heart attack. But... I haven't had a Corvette with a warranty in a long time.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:32 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Service is dependent on Dealer/Service manager/ Mechanic.

I personally get to know both the service mgr. and mechanic.
Also have the service mgr. select service rep. that you deal with.

Good luck... some are good.

As an aside, the best service we ever received was from Infinity/Q45's. Our Lexus dealer sucked.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:34 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Perhaps try a different dealership? They are not all created equal, dealerships are independent businesses and some are run better than others.

Now, if you are talking about the posh, kid glove treatment, well, probably not going to happen. And that's not really a bad thing. I mean really, friendly, fast, reliable, and fair that's the important thing...I am a big boy, I can get my own coffee thank you.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

You enjoy the car itself 24/7 for years, and you enjoy the service only every 3 months or so when you need an oil change, or any repair and maintenance. If you compare the time it's pretty insignificant, so I don't get why some people would be swayed in their purchase decision just due to service.

Or if one buys a comparable sports car for $100k and gets better service, woudl the $40k cost differential be worth it as a premium for better service?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:38 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

I want honest and accurate w/o the upsell bullcrap most service writers push. Case in point my parents have a Ford Econoline van with a wheelchair lift for my brother. It's had an exhaust rattle. Dealer told my father the cat was bad and it needed a new one at a large $$$ point. Dad takes it to a local shop to have it checked. A section of the tail pipe had simply come loose causing a hanger tab to break. A little welding a $27 later all was fixed.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:40 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Achmed
You enjoy the car itself 24/7 for years, and you enjoy the service only every 3 months or so when you need an oil change, or any repair and maintenance. If you compare the time it's pretty insignificant, so I don't get why some people would be swayed in their purchase decision just due to service.

Or if one buys a comparable sports car for $100k and gets better service, woudl the $40k cost differential be worth it as a premium for better service?
Tell that to the C5 guys who had rocker panels cracked by ignorant techs or oil change jockeys who had no idea how to put one on a lift properly.

There are certain things that have to be done right to service these cars.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Tell that to the C5 guys who had rocker panels cracked by ignorant techs or oil change jockeys who had no idea how to put one on a lift properly.

There are certain things that have to be done right to service these cars.
I would imagine if you took your vette to a dealer which sells a decent number of them every year, has some in the showroom at all times, etc. then you wont have those issues? I've never had one before so I really don't know, but I would only take my C7 to one of two dealers in my area of population 1 million.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

My local Chevy dealer actually does a good job. No service department is perfect, but I have no problems continuing to take my Corvette back to them.

Funny you mention Lexus because I think they've gone downhill quite a bit in the last several years. So much that we no longer buy Lexus. (We have owned two.)
Old 07-26-2013, 02:49 PM
harrydunn
Racer

Hmmm...according to this I am mistaken. Their service looks fantastic. My bad. These clean-cut techs looking nothing like those at my local dealer(s).

Old 07-26-2013, 02:50 PM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

Enjoy the car, ignore the service
Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Al77Vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Achmed
I would imagine if you took your vette to a dealer which sells a decent number of them every year, has some in the showroom at all times, etc. then you wont have those issues?

I had great success with 3 large Chevy dealers in my area. I have a friend that takes his 67 big block to one of these same dealers.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:15 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydunn
Without opening a can of worms but giving an honest assessment of my two local Chevy dealers, I can't say either one has been much count. They are nice enough but in the past I've usually ended up taking things back for them to try again (tire balances, leaks, etc). What finally convinced me to find a great privately-owned repair facility was the Smart Choice warranty fiasco some of you may remember back in 2003 and beyond. I had $1,200 worth of warranty work performed and the dealer assured me that if I paid it upfront, I would be reimbursed in less than one month. SEVEN YEARS later, I received a little over $900 after a class action suit. Oh, well. That's how it goes sometimes. Live and learn.

Car dealers obviously make their money on selling new cars so I feel many of them neglect their service departments.

Just my .02, peeps.
I do remember your problem. You got the royal shaft.
With that said, sales and service are two separate entities. I agree service needs to get much better. There isn't much trust.
I think it's time for Corvette and Cadillac to merge sales and service. I know, we will have some that say Cadillac also needs some help. But I believe merging the two would help elevate the Corvette brand to a higher level in both marketing and sales. Hopefully service would be somewhat better as well......IMHO
Old 07-26-2013, 03:30 PM
MeanDean43
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Achmed; Obviously you've never been to Wyoming! We don't have an ywhere near a million people in the entire state, and personally I wouldn't trust my local Chevy Dealer to check the air in my tires!
Old 07-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C5vette73

I got rid of a C6 and the Chevrolet dealership that went with it. Now I enjoy a beautiful new sports car and an excellent service department and dealership. Thebrand: Porsche , of course. You can have the same.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:44 PM
harrydunn
Racer

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
C5vette73

I got rid of a C6 and the Chevrolet dealership that went with it. Now I enjoy a beautiful new sports car and an excellent service department and dealership. Thebrand: Porsche , of course. You can have the same.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 = Great Car; Chevy Service = ?

Old 07-26-2013, 03:46 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

C5vette73

You need to make a left turn to the Porsche site.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:48 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

C5vette73

Memo
To: Colorado C6

Talk to the hand cause the face ain't listenin.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:50 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a Lexus owner myself, I don't expect Chevy to come remotely close to Lexus' quality of service... however I never go to the dealer for anything but free services, anyways. ESPECIALLY a luxury dealer since they will rip you the **** off. That will not change if/when I get a Corvette. So it shouldn't be a big deal unless my Vette ends up needing a lot of warranty work... which would suck.

Quick Reply: C7 = Great Car; Chevy Service = ?