Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 = Great Car; Chevy Service = ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

It would be a plus if Chevrolet's flagship car included a loaner car during service. It takes too long and costs too much to rent. Oh, and the shuttle van...Please!

Even the ford dealer gets me a free rental on warranty repairs on my Mustang.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chevy service is pretty bad...... Girlfriend sold her vette and bought a Lexus. No comparision, Lexus is way better.

My self, I found a corvette shop (LG Motorsports) they are much better at corvette repairs than the dealer. They do general repairs as well as Hi Po upgrades.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding superficialities, my experience is that the German dealerships serve you espressos. And the Chevy dealership has a bar where you ask Rodrigo to cook you a cheeseburger with fries.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
Service is dependent on Dealer/Service manager/ Mechanic.

I personally get to know both the service mgr. and mechanic.
Also have the service mgr. select service rep. that you deal with.

Good luck... some are good.

As an aside, the best service we ever received was from Infinity/Q45's. Our Lexus dealer sucked.

It doesn't matter which brand of car you have it depends on these four guys: dealer; service manager; service advisor/writer; mechanic. Although if the last two aren't working out the first two should take care of the situation. I remember about 20 years ago when they took over the local BMW dealership and I overheard the Service Manager chewing out the BMW Service Writer about screwing some BMW owner. The comment I heard was the Customer worked at the local large company and there were many more Chevy Customers who also worked there and they didn't want a low volume car service issue to screw up Chevy sales. Basically, he was told to shape up or he would be replaced.

What was funny about this is I knew the previous BMW dealer and autocrossed with him. This guy was his service manager. The other thing I knew is the other German car owners always brought their cars to them to be worked on since they did a much better job than the other German car dealers. Makes you wonder how bad it was at the other places.

Bill
Old 07-26-2013, 04:58 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

It doesn't matter which brand of car you have it depends on these four guys: dealer; service manager; service advisor/writer; mechanic.

Bill

And of those 4, the one earning the least, matters the most
Old 07-26-2013, 05:01 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Of course there is one solution if you love your Corvette but aren't happy with dealer service...buy a set of tools and an FSM
Old 07-26-2013, 05:15 PM
C6Sixspeed
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

It doesn't matter which brand of car you have it depends on these four guys: dealer; service manager; service advisor/writer; mechanic.
This! When I lived in Hollister I got to know the local dealership pretty well (they did the PDI for my Z06). Only issue I every had was a guy trying to find the ignition switch to drive the car into their garage.

Back in 2000 I bought a brand new S4 from an Audi/Porsche dealership in San Jose. Within a week I started to hear a whine coming from the rear end after the car was warmed up. I took it in and they called me back a few hours saying it was fixed. When I picked it up I asked them what the issue was. Their reply.. tires were over inflated lol. I knew they were just making it up and within 30 minutes after driving away the sound was back. Two weeks later, after having a new diff installed, the sound was gone.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:24 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
I would imagine if you took your vette to a dealer which sells a decent number of them every year, has some in the showroom at all times, etc. then you wont have those issues? I've never had one before so I really don't know, but I would only take my C7 to one of two dealers in my area of population 1 million.
One of the local Chevrolet dealers in my area typically has several dozen Corvettes in stock at any given time, and I've had no complaints with their service. The other area dealers sell relatively few Corvettes, and I won't take the risk. I'd buy one from another dealer (and have) but I'll service them at the large Vette dealership.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 PM
md8232
Cruising

If I buy, I'll have a minimum of 90 minutes one way to St. Louis.
Anyone care to comment on who to trust with a new C7?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Service is why I must try and wait to let GM work the bugs(if any) out of the C7.

Maybe the C7 though will be trouble free and bulletproof. The C6 is a fine piece
Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 PM
nevillej
Instructor

I had leased an Infinity G37X for a few years and at the time of the lease I pre-paid for a certain level of maintenance costs for required service up front to save money vs. paying as I go. The Infinity dealership was cleaner, modernized had a nice seating area for the customers and such but I thought the maintenance costs were way out of control and personally after a while I dumped the lease car and bought a cheap basic transportation Chevy Sonic and I didn't cry or anything.

I'm basically a middle class guy and actually felt the Infinity dealership was really there to impress those who came in that had way to high an opinion of themselves and had to be pampered. I go to Chevy look for the sales department and bullish*t with the guys and talk corvettes and camaro's while I wait for my reasonably priced car or my corvette to be serviced and am much happier now. I don't need fancy coffee machines and such to make me feel a notch or two above everyone else
Old 07-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My GF has a Lexus. I've taken it to the dealer. Here are my observations

1) organization is good. Get them in quick and the blood pressure goes down.

2) it's easy to please people when you feed them coffee and bagels. It's easier to upcharge them for things they don't need this way.

3) it's good to have the nice big screen TV running so you don't realize how long it's actually taking. Entertainment is better than watching the clock and comfortable seats don't make your butt hurt with the wait.

4) when you up-sell service, make sure you smile a lot. People tend to get less annoyed when you smile a lot.

5) when they leave, thank them so they think you're good buddies and will come back again to be upsold on something else next time. After all, it is a LEXUS. It needs proper care and attention!
Old 07-26-2013, 10:47 PM
sesame60
Intermediate

One thing that is important to me is having a loaner car when getting my vehicle serviced. Do Chevrolet dealers offer loaner cars? The last 3 car brands I have owned (Audi, Lexus, BMW) all provided me with a loaner car and it seems pretty standard these days that most car dealers provide loaner cars.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:23 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sesame60
One thing that is important to me is having a loaner car when getting my vehicle serviced. Do Chevrolet dealers offer loaner jucars? The last 3 car brands I have owned (Audi, Lexus, BMW) all provided me with a loaner car and it seems pretty standard these days that most car dealers provide loaner cars.
Yes. No difference with BMW. They have a rep from one of the big rental companies.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:29 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
Yes. No difference with BMW. They have a rep from one of the big rental companies.
My experience with BMW and Lexus varies from dealer to dealer. If it's factory maintenance, they will give you a loaner or free rental.

If it's non-warranty, they will get you a discount on a rental car or do a pick up and delivery service to your home for free.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:48 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sin City
My experience with BMW and Lexus varies from dealer to dealer. If it's factory maintenance, they will give you a loaner or free rental.

If it's non-warranty, they will get you a discount on a rental car or do a pick up and delivery service to your home for free.
I never had any problem with my Bimmer, it was a darling as is my Vette. So I can't really say much other than the convenience is offered. Well, I did have a creaking top that required one day of repair (turned out it needed superlube), and GM paid for the loaner.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:12 AM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by mike100
It would be a plus if Chevrolet's flagship car included a loaner car during service. It takes too long and costs too much to rent. Oh, and the shuttle van...Please!

Even the ford dealer gets me a free rental on warranty repairs on my Mustang.
Exactly. I talked to a Cadillac person who was displaying the new ATS at the Cannery in San Francisco. I asked him how sales were going since i have only seen 2 ATS in the bay area so far. He said in the east coast they are doing well. I told him I suspected in California people with Lexus, BMW, MB, Infiniti get loaners when their car is serviced. I told him I really like the ATS but my problem was for that much money for a Cadillac and all you get is a rental while 13 years later my wife still gets a Lexus loaner from our local Lexus dealer was difficult to rationalize. I suspect many people think the same way and is true of the Corvette as well. However non warranty prices ARE expensive at the Lexus dealer so I guess you get what you pay for.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 = Great Car; Chevy Service = ?

Old 07-27-2013, 03:35 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

It looks like I may have misunderstood something. I never got a free rental car from either BMW or Chevy on any scheduled maintenance. I always had to pay. Both offer the free shuttle.

Last edited by Nitrous Oxide; 07-27-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
It looks like I may have misunderstood something. I never got a free rental car from either BMW or Chevy on any scheduled maintenance. I always had to pay. Both offer the free shuttle.
Some do, some don't. It's up to the dealer.

At my BMW dealer it's actually first come first served. If they run out of free loaners then its a discounted rental.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sin City
Some do, some don't. It's up to the dealer.

At my BMW dealer it's actually first come first served. If they run out of free loaners then its a discounted rental.
Ah! I see. I never heard of that.

Quick Reply: C7 = Great Car; Chevy Service = ?