Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Achmed
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Achmed's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Default Now that we know the weight of the Z51...

The Motor Trend article pegged the 3LT Z51 at I believe 3,444 lbs? (Might be a few lbs off I can't recall exactly now). Sounds like its about 150 lbs more than a non-Z51 1LT. Will the difference in gearing and slightly better tires still make the Z51 faster in a straight line than the non-Z51 despite the 150 lb difference? That's comparable to having an extra passenger in the car at all times.

I'm happy with the Z51's acceleration, what I'd like to know is how will the non-Z51 compare? I'm guessing it'll be hard to find road tests for the non-Z51.

Consider 0-60, 1/4 mile, and 30-100 mph rolling acceleration.
Achmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Hirohawa
CF Senior Member
 
Hirohawa's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2002
Location: Venice, CA
Default

3,444 lbs!?! That must be a mistake - cause if not then this car is an oinker.

I'm curious if they will try to put a positive spin/marketing BS on how this is actually good.
Hirohawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
DCBE
CF Senior Member
 
DCBE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2004
Location: Granbury TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmed View Post
The Motor Trend article pegged the 3LT Z51 at I believe 3,444 lbs? (Might be a few lbs off I can't recall exactly now). Sounds like its about 150 lbs more than a non-Z51 1LT. Will the difference in gearing and slightly better tires still make the Z51 faster in a straight line than the non-Z51 despite the 150 lb difference? That's comparable to having an extra passenger in the car at all times.

I'm happy with the Z51's acceleration, what I'd like to know is how will the non-Z51 compare? I'm guessing it'll be hard to find road tests for the non-Z51.

Consider 0-60, 1/4 mile, and 30-100 mph rolling acceleration.
Did they say the break down, is that wet or dry weight? By the way that is only 146 Lbs over the base.

Last edited by DCBE; 07-23-2013 at 11:06 PM.
DCBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Snorman
Deal with it.
St. Jude Donor '13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

 
Snorman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirohawa View Post
3,444 lbs!?! That must be a mistake - cause if not then this car is an oinker.

I'm curious if they will try to put a positive spin/marketing BS on how this is actually good.
Your backhanded swipes at the C7 are getting as dated as your C6's interior was in 2009.
S.
Snorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
Sin City
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Sin City's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Default

My suggestion: Don't eat at Ihop before going for a ride.

You'll add too much weight to the car.
Sin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
Snorman
Deal with it.
St. Jude Donor '13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

 
Snorman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmed View Post
The Motor Trend article pegged the 3LT Z51 at I believe 3,444 lbs? (Might be a few lbs off I can't recall exactly now). Sounds like its about 150 lbs more than a non-Z51 1LT. Will the difference in gearing and slightly better tires still make the Z51 faster in a straight line than the non-Z51 despite the 150 lb difference? That's comparable to having an extra passenger in the car at all times.

I'm happy with the Z51's acceleration, what I'd like to know is how will the non-Z51 compare? I'm guessing it'll be hard to find road tests for the non-Z51.

Consider 0-60, 1/4 mile, and 30-100 mph rolling acceleration.
Without any details relative to a base car (from MT), IMO it is hard to compare.
MT did comment that the C7 was 69 lbs heavier than the last GS they tested. The last GS they tested was against a 991 911 and they listed it at 3375. GM lists the weight of a '13 GS as 3311. So figure the Z51 is ~82 lbs heavier than a non-Z51 car. That's some really fuzzy math, lol.
So a ~.2/2mph advantage based on weight offset by a slight gearing advantage and a wash in tires (slightly wider vs. higher aspect ratio).
IMO, a base, lightly optioned non-Z51 car will be quicker.
S.
Snorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
Goaty
CF Senior Member
 
Goaty's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Long Island NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorman View Post
Without any details relative to a base car (from MT), IMO it is hard to compare.
MT did comment that the C7 was 69 lbs heavier than the last GS they tested. The last GS they tested was against a 991 911 and they listed it at 3375. GM lists the weight of a '13 GS as 3311. So figure the Z51 is ~82 lbs heavier than a non-Z51 car. That's some really fuzzy math, lol.
So a ~.2/2mph advantage based on weight offset by a slight gearing advantage and a wash in tires (slightly wider vs. higher aspect ratio).
IMO, a base, lightly optioned non-Z51 car will be quicker.
S.
Does the weight of the car vary by option package? Meaning that a 3LT Z51 would be heavier then a 1LT Z51? For example on the C6 they list the coupe at 3225 lbs, I assume this is for the lightest configuration, 1LT 6 speed, it couldn't possibly be the same for a 4LT Auto.

So it's possible that someone could have a C7 Z51 auto 2LT or 3LT weighing in at around 3,500 lbs (using the MT article weight for the 7 spd car as a base). This car would be 250lbs more than a 1LT C6 LS3 "narrow body". That would be one interesting race, straight line at least.
Goaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Snorman
Deal with it.
St. Jude Donor '13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

 
Snorman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaty View Post
Does the weight of the car vary by option package? Meaning that a 3LT Z51 would be heavier then a 1LT Z51? For example on the C6 they list the coupe at 3225 lbs, I assume this is for the lightest configuration, 1LT 6 speed, it couldn't possibly be the same for a 4LT Auto.

So it's possible that someone could have a C7 Z51 auto 2LT or 3LT weighing in at around 3,500 lbs (using the MT article weight for the 7 spd car as a base). This car would be 250lbs more than a 1LT C6 LS3 "narrow body". That would be one interesting race, straight line at least.
I would guess it does, but I haven't seen any numbers for 1LT cars vs. 3LT (or 4LT) cars.
The higher optioned cars have to weigh a bit more with HUD, heated/vented seats, upgraded audio, etc.. I too am curious how much more.
S.
Snorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
Jp23rockstar
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
john_peterson23 rocklegend23
Default

Best solution wait for the C8.
Jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #10
sam90lx
CF Senior Member
 
sam90lx's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Ventura CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar View Post
Best solution wait for the C8.
At the rate things are going it may weigh 4000 lbs.
sam90lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
DREAMERAK
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!
 
DREAMERAK's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Default

69 pounds more than the last Grand Sport tested by Motor Trend
DREAMERAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #12
Jp23rockstar
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2011
john_peterson23 rocklegend23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam90lx View Post
At the rate things are going it may weigh 4000 lbs.
The weight target should of been the 911 which comes in at 3245lbs. I can only imagine the Z06 version coming in at 100lbs more than the current Z06.
Jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #13
vegasredz062
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08
 
vegasredz062's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: LAS VEGAS NV
Default

anyone know the gears in both z51 and non? meaning first gear goes to what in the z51 stick car?
vegasredz062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #14
yellowray
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Default

Well I needed to diet anyway. Replace the battery with a Lipo type $$$ could help too.
LOL.
yellowray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #15
TTRotary
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2000
Location: City of Angels Socialist Republic of Kah-Li-Fohnia
Default

The magazine weights are totally inconsistent and have nothing to do with Mfr curb weight. And there is no way the Z51 package adds 150lb over a base car. Maybe 50. I believe the curb weight on the base car is 3,298, so I'd guess the mfr curb weight for the Z51 will come in at 3,350 or thereabouts - pretty much same as the GS. In any case, I'm sure GM will be publishing the official number very soon.
TTRotary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:37 AM   #16
Trackaholic
CF Senior Member
 
Trackaholic's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
The magazine weights are totally inconsistent and have nothing to do with Mfr curb weight. And there is no way the Z51 package adds 150lb over a base car. Maybe 50. I believe the curb weight on the base car is 3,298, so I'd guess the mfr curb weight for the Z51 will come in at 3,350 or thereabouts - pretty much same as the GS. In any case, I'm sure GM will be publishing the official number very soon.
Except that the magazines actually weigh the car on scales with full fluids and options.

MFG's give a single number for all cars no matter the options and aren't very forthcoming regarding fluid fill.

I'd take a magazine weight any day over the MFG estimate.

Given that some magazines have weighed well equipped C6's ranging from 3310 (Z06) to 3440 (GS Vert), I don't see a huge issue with the weight, although I definitely would have liked to see it closer to 3300:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/cm/roada...51ba6b2de4.pdf

My impression from the article is the 3444 is the Z51 with 3LT, which probably adds some weight due to the extra leather and suede packages. Possibly a 1LT with Z51 would be less, and the base would be less still.

-T
Trackaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:08 AM   #17
MikeyTX
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MikeyTX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Maypearl TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorman View Post
Your backhanded swipes at the C7 are getting as dated as your C6's interior was in 2009.
S.
And this being an open forum he can't comment ?
MikeyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #18
Hot Rod Todd
CF Senior Member
 
Hot Rod Todd's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: Cedar Rapids Iowa
Default

Notable quote in the MT article from Juechter: "It would be easy to make the car light if we weren't worried about fuel consumption."

So the hope is that when they make a performance model they will leave off the 4 cyl. mode. Not only would the engine be lighter, but they could get rid of the steel torque tube (18 lbs saving by itself) and the extra exhaust valves.

Give Chevy props though, the article mentioned that because the car does not default into 4 cyl mode (like Porsche) they could not take full credit for the MPG in that mode (rated it at 29 instead of 30 mpg highway). I for one am glad I don't have to turn the thing off everytime, I can leave it in the mode I want.

It also mentioned the 4cyl. mode is only active in the ECO mode on the 7 spd, but will be used in the first three modes for the automatic version.
Hot Rod Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #19
b4i4getit
CF Senior Member
 
b4i4getit's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto Ontario Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar View Post
The weight target should of been the 911 which comes in at 3245lbs. I can only imagine the Z06 version coming in at 100lbs more than the current Z06.
I don't think they will let that happen unless the cost will be too high. If they can't avoid it the Z06 will have crazy HP to overcome the weight increase.
b4i4getit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #20
Big Dan 427
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2012
Location: Danbury CT
Default

What was the name of that pig on Green Acres? The C7 Z51 can be affectionately known as Arnold.
Big Dan 427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page Now that we know the weight of the Z51...
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2