C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Impression: new Stingray looks like a Ferrari!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Gents, interesting article in the new BBC Top Gear Special Edition "Supercars 2013". Nice article on the new Stingray, but on pg. 027, they note the striking similarity between the Ferrari 599 Fiorino GTO version, and the C7 in a sidebar titled "Shape Swap". They note the differences as "a Yankee bayonet to an Italian brushstroke". Since, I believe, the 599 is the best looking front engine Ferrari since the 275 GTB/4, this is high praise.

I think the C6 is beautiful car, improving on the C5 by reducing bulk and adding definition to the car's classic coupe shape. The C7 builds on the C6 AND the 599, but has enough new twists to make it unique. Ed Wellburn's team deserves a lot of credit, even if they took a big risk with the aft-end. Personally I like the 4 round taillights, but nothing lasts forever...the new taillights are growing on me, and the LED treatments are pretty cool in the pictures I've seen. Can't wait to see one in the flesh....of course the LEDs could have been applied to a set of round taillights also, with good effect.

Interestingly, the new F12 retains the 599's classic wide-spaced single round taillights which go all the way back to the 250 GTO, but change everything else - for the worse in my opinion. The C7 changed everything for the better. I love it.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:01 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulchristian
I'm sorry but I just do not understand all the talk about the C6 looking "dated" compared to the C7. It's simply just new to your eyes. You haven't seen one. In contrast, you have been looking at the C6 for 9 years. As time passes, you will begin to look at the two designs as simply being different; similar to how you view the C1 versus the C2 now.
Seeing the new is exactly how the old looks 'dated'. Thats how it works.

BTW, the C1 has always looked older than the C2 to me. C1 is much more '50s.

I like both the C6 and the C7 designs. BUT, I see the C7 as more than just new. I see it as a lot better. I still like my '05 vert and I will be driving and enjoying it for at least a year or two while I search for my lightly used C7.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Seeing the new is exactly how the old looks 'dated'. Thats how it works.

BTW, the C1 has always looked older than the C2 to me. C1 is much more '50s.

I like both the C6 and the C7 designs. BUT, I see the C7 as more than just new. I see it as a lot better. I still like my '05 vert and I will be driving and enjoying it for at least a year or two while I search for my lightly used C7.
We will have to agree to disagree on this one OX. I can debate this with you all night.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Corvette86
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Interesting!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:30 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

We will have to agree to disagree on this one OX. I can debate this with you all night.
"Better" can be debated all night, for sure. However, there isn't much of a debate when it comes to "the c6 looks old, the c7 looks new." For one, it's just definitionally correct - as one is the new model.

Of course, that's not what we're talking about though. We're talking about design and design cues. I think it's pretty inarguable that the c6 in that picture looks outdated from a design standpoint. Modern design cues are about blended, sexy curves. The c7 is a good example of that - with the exception of the corvette's trademark blocky rear-end, but even that has been rounded and smoothed on the c7. The c6, on the other hand, is a bunch of hard and straight edges. Putting gills and other wingdings on it doesn't hide that.

While beauty/better is in the eye of the beholder, and gents can agree to disagree on that stuff, I think it's pretty safely "inarguable" that the c7 design is much more modern. In that sense, there's really nothing to debate when it comes to old vs new.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:52 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me
Happy? No, because I think you missed the mark by a wide-margin, but it's okay. Not really interested in a e-peen contest about one car over the other. The c6 doesn't concern me.
Really?? For a car that doesn't concern you, you've made several posts discussing it in detail. Who are you trying to convince that your armchair design theories are the $hit.....yourself or others? No one asked for your opinion so it's obviously quite important to you that everyone knows you've proclaimed that the C6 is outdated, old, or.....blah, blah blah.

I like the C6 and the C7. It's easy to bash either one, but totally unnecessary unless you're someone who has an axe to grind. Both are great cars and always will be (of course I'm assuming this about the C7 since they haven't sold any yet). Neither car is a cure for cancer so chill out and try enjoy the fact that cars of this type are a luxury and we're lucky they're still being built. Being condescending to those who enjoy a car that is not of your choice says quite a bit about you.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:33 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Really?? For a car that doesn't concern you, you've made several posts discussing it in detail. Who are you trying to convince that your armchair design theories are the $hit.....yourself or others? No one asked for your opinion so it's obviously quite important to you that everyone knows you've proclaimed that the C6 is outdated, old, or.....blah, blah blah.
Wow really? My 3 or so posts in this thread are "several posts discussing it in detail" in which im "trying to convince that my armchair design theories are th $hit" and so on?

You're coming off as super angry, and it's unwarranted. They're both just cars. The C7 is a new car, and it looks new. It follows modern design trends. The C6 is old, and it looks old. It does not follow many of the more modern design trends. It's easy to admit.

Neither car is a cure for cancer so chill out and try enjoy the fact that cars of this type are a luxury and we're lucky they're still being built.
Unsure why you're telling me to chill out. You're the one getting worked up. All I've done is said one car looks old, and because it's a car that you happen to like, you're acting offended. Not really a big deal to me - I'm not emotionally involved in the same way apparently.

Being condescending to those who enjoy a car that is not of your choice says quite a bit about you.
Don't be silly. Go up a couple posts and see I admitted I was wrong, used too much hyperbole in my initial post, and apologized and retracted my statement. But here you are, pontificated angrily about nothing really. The C6 is an old model. It shows. That, however, doesn't mean it's the equivalent of dog droppings (even if I admit that it does nothing for me). Is it really that infuriating? No need to get all personal about it.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 AM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow really? My 3 or so posts in this thread are "several posts discussing it in detail" in which im "trying to convince that my armchair design theories are th $hit" and so on?

You're coming off as super angry, and it's unwarranted. They're both just cars. The C7 is a new car, and it looks new. It follows modern design trends. The C6 is old, and it looks old. It does not follow many of the more modern design trends. It's easy to admit.

Unsure why you're telling me to chill out. You're the one getting worked up. All I've done is said one car looks old, and because it's a car that you happen to like, you're acting offended. Not really a big deal to me - I'm not emotionally involved in the same way apparently.

Don't be silly. Go up a couple posts and see I admitted I was wrong, used too much hyperbole in my initial post, and apologized and retracted my statement. But here you are, pontificated angrily about nothing really. The C6 is an old model. It shows. That, however, doesn't mean it's the equivalent of dog droppings (even if I admit that it does nothing for me). Is it really that infuriating? No need to get all personal about it.
Whatever......
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 AM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Nice, taking your ball and going home. No problem, I'm somehow a troll because I prefer the c7 to a car that isn't the c7, and I'm on a c7 forum. Imagine that! (unsure what you're looking for here)
Old 07-22-2013, 02:37 AM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Indeed yes, but it also resembles the Lotus Elite Concept you posted up the other day. So I would think the Ferrari 599 is the most dominant influence and how it associates to the F12, as well the Nissan GTR having contributed to the C7 design.

It seems this is the shape of things to come, as the proposed new design language most sports car manufacturers will be evaluating.

Modern vettes have always looked Ferrari-ish ...nothing new here. I will say that the proportions and the roof line that extends all the way back to the rear of the C7 is very Ferrari F12 like when you look at profile of the car

Last edited by User 2623; 07-22-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:17 AM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Plenty of room for controversy over the rear of both these cars. Looking at the rear of the Ferrari the first thing I thought of the center portion was that it resembled a "woman part." Why wasn't there an uproar about this from the Ferrari faithful?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 AM
rgamache
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All high end sports cars must bear resemblance to each other due to aerodynamic considerations.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by rgamache
All high end sports cars must bear resemblance to each other due to aerodynamic considerations.
Very true. Then add in engine location, gearbox location, seating configuration, and safety regulations.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 AM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

O/P
Old 07-22-2013, 11:52 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ching Ho
Let me speculate that the main value add for first time Corvette owners like myself - and there will be many of us - is that you essentially get a Ferrari (or insert any $100K+ brand here) for 1/5 the price.
No, you're not getting a Ferrari at 1/5th price.
You sound like every wannabe Lamborghini owner who gets an R8 and tells everyone within earshot it's the "same" as a Lambo.
Only your analogy is even more ridiculous.
It's not. You know it, everyone who knows cars knows it and everyone at the car show knows it. But if it helps you sleep better....
Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM
VETTE-NV
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice, taking your ball and going home. No problem, I'm somehow a troll because I prefer the c7 to a car that isn't the c7, and I'm on a c7 forum. Imagine that! (unsure what you're looking for here)
Never said you were a troll. That GIF is of a pinhead.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Philr56
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RedThunderbolt
LOL Not even "Updated" Just slightly different IMO. They almost look identical.
Both are beautiful, but once you open the door, the differences are glaringly obvious.

Get notified of new replies

To First Impression: new Stingray looks like a Ferrari!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:41 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Never said you were a troll. That GIF is of a pinhead.
Oh, well that changes everything!
Old 07-22-2013, 02:43 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

The torch red on the 7 doesn't seem to have any more orange in it than the red on the F12. Maybe it's the lighting, but the 7 seems pretty "red" in those pics.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Saw one at Livernois and South blvd Saturday while sitting at the stop light. My friend in the car said whoa look at that Ferrari... err what is that?! I had to explain it was the new vette.

Quick Reply: First Impression: new Stingray looks like a Ferrari!