Sponsored by:

Did you ask the wifey?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 05:04 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Its my money. Not her's. I did not need to ask her opinion on how I made it, So I do not need to ask her opinion on how I spend it.

Sorry that you do.
Welcome to 1950 We all live life differently and that's a good thing

I will say that the "Sorry that you do" comment isn't necessary IMO and many of us don't see it as manly or macho (maybe you didn't mean it that way). Some married couples are true partnerships and are very happy to operate that way. I don't think I would be interested in a relationship otherwise but that is just me. While I'm making money, she is taking care of our house and kids which, to me, is a damn important job and to be honest I get the better end of that stick (and I work a LOT in my job and still I think I have the better job). So, given it is 2013, there is zero need to feel sorry for anyone who has a different type of relationship with their spouse... some people might think the same thing about your arrangement (feeling sorry for you) but that wouldn't be correct either because we all get to choose how it works for us

Last edited by gthal; 07-20-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:38 PM
indyjack18
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We were on vacation, in a cabin in the Smoky Mountains and watched the unveiling on the iPad. Wife looked at me once the torch red C7 rolled out and asked "when we getting that?"
We have the best vacations doing little road trips in the vette and will do more of the same with the Stingray
Old 07-20-2013, 07:26 PM
F4Topgun
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

I told my wife 15 years ago, when I retire and lose the company car, I buying a vette. This will be my car for the rest of my life. The only discussion we've really had is about the color. She's into black and that is a very good thing! But, I'm buying CRM with Kalahari. Women. She asked how she would look in Kalahari. I replied, HOT. She asked when do we get it?

We will take our first road trip in spring 2014. Charlotte to Phoenix via the southern route, Las Vegas, San Diego up the PCH to Oregon, back through the Rockies and then home in about 3 months. We'll never travel more than 1 tank of gas in a day and there will be many stops at the premiere golf courses. TPC Scottsdale, TPC West, Torey Pines, Pebble Beach, Cypress Point, Bandon Dunes, Whistling Straits, Medinah, Oakmont and a couple more. After this trip I can die a happy man! In the fall of 2014 we're going south to Key West. Life is good and its going to get better in a 2014 Stingray!
Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 PM
WBT
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I would never ask the Goddess (my wife) if i should/could buy a C7. First of all she knows that I would never overpay for any car. When I do buy one I won't do anything foolish. Secondly she knows my beliefs when it comes to marriage. I have always believed that when a couple gets married, the man makes the rules and the woman simply obeys the rules. This eliminates conflict between the two and couple lives happily ever after. In otherwords, THE MAN RULES, the woman is nothing.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:11 PM
sboxs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

#81 on Gm'er list is automatic cause the wife said so !
Old 07-20-2013, 08:53 PM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

My wife loves the C7, but I have two little kids, so she is convincing me to get the Porsche Panamera S or The Tesla. I am sticking to the vette
Old 07-20-2013, 09:08 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I won't be asking the wife, just like I didn't ask her 'permission' for my C6. I have my money, she has hers, and we have our 'general fund'. She will know about it before I get it and I will ask her input on color (even though I will already know) but that's about it.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:31 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

My ***** belong to me...
Old 07-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Geof180
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wifey is all for it!
Old 07-20-2013, 09:47 PM
ChucksZ06
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Good luck with the democracy in the home guys. As far as the comment about the 50's, I will take America in the 50's any day over the sissified country we live in today. Of course if she is the major breadwinner then you have lots of reasons to ask her permission...if I had done that the last 30 years I would have a lot less firearms and cars and have thrown out a lot of furniture and clothes.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I'm sure I could go buy one I can't buy a base model Vette, so I'm waiting. Add to that I've gone on a trip every month since I sold the Z06 I'm actually enjoying not having a sports car. NYC, Austin, California, Ontario, Miami, Ireland, Tenn, it's been a great year.

I'm waiting to see what the performance model has and will continue to travel until that time.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:27 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by DoTheyMakeOtherCars?
Female...single...I ask no one :-)
Old 07-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

On 1/13/13 I said I am getting one and she just replied "ok"

She also said it better be a manual. Love her.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I was walking with my GF to the movie theater through the parking lot and I saw a new red C6. I told her that I was going to buy a Corvette next year.

She said. "Ooooh...Looks nice. Who makes this?" (you have to understand she's from Russia -- doesn't follow cars particularly well).

I said Chevrolet.

See says: "Wow. Looks great. What country makes that?" (I'm trying to not laugh)

I said, "It's General Motors. It's American".

She say: "Oh, no, no no. You crazy! American car? No, no" (you have to imagine thick Russian accent).

I said, no it's a good car! You said you liked it.

She said: "Ok honey. You like it. You buy it." and smiled.

Can't beat that.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Jesterissimo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No wife, no kids, just a couple of dogs (only one of which rides in cars and the other is so old that I dread the day when she finally runs out of time) but being 32 I know that it probably won't be too many more years before I do have those sorts of additional responsibilities so I'm buying the vette while I still can

While I'm young and single the vette will be my daily driver, then at some point when I'm not it will go into semiretirement as my weekend toy and I'll get a (slightly) more practical car for family duties (maybe a CTS or an M5 or something, who knows by then?).
Old 07-21-2013, 12:06 AM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

She's the one that wanted it. She picked out the colors and trim level, while I only got to pick out the performance options.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:13 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,076 Likes on 533 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

My wife and I decided to renovate our home of 30 years. I told her I needed to allocate 70k for the garage, she can't comprehend where I could possibly spend 70k on a garage that doesn't need work. She'll understand in September when my C7 comes home.

Get notified of new replies

To Did you ask the wifey?

Old 07-21-2013, 01:10 AM
Davidl81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
The m6 is a great car yet if you can wait for the new m4 coupe thats about to release as mentioned you should find find it more sporting. The m6 is a cool ride ...its a GT car and I look forward to your review.

The m6 is a bruiser and cruiser. I have a feeling the new BMW m4 will be more sports car like...bigger and sleeker than the m3 coupe but lighter and more powerful.

The M4 reviews and the release are just around the corner.
Well I bought the M6. I looked at the M3 and I just did not care for it so much. A little too plain inside. I'm sure the M4 will be nicer , but patience is not one of my best virtues.

The M6 is a little big, but it does not fell any bigger than my 2011 grand sport did. It does feel heavier though. But the car is so nice inside I pretty much fell in love with it when I sat in it. The car runs like a damn rocket ship, just incredible acceleration from 60-100.

The DCT is pretty sweet, the shifts are so fast. The only think I don't like about the DCT is that if I want to go from say 7th to 4th I have to shift through 6th and 5th first so a quick downshift on the highway to say pass up a car is a little pain in the rear.

Granted the C7 will run circles around the track compared to the M6, but there is trade off with everything. After I bought the car me, the wife, and the baby went up to the mountains and did a few curves. We watched the sun set and then headed back home. Sure the vette would have been a different ride, but I have to admit it was nice having both girls with me. I'll post some pics if you guys want.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:32 AM
mark1107
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Fellas grow some *****!!!! Too many ***** whipped dudes here.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
Welcome to 1950 We all live life differently and that's a good thing

I will say that the "Sorry that you do" comment isn't necessary IMO and many of us don't see it as manly or macho (maybe you didn't mean it that way). Some married couples are true partnerships and are very happy to operate that way. I don't think I would be interested in a relationship otherwise but that is just me. While I'm making money, she is taking care of our house and kids which, to me, is a damn important job and to be honest I get the better end of that stick (and I work a LOT in my job and still I think I have the better job). So, given it is 2013, there is zero need to feel sorry for anyone who has a different type of relationship with their spouse... some people might think the same thing about your arrangement (feeling sorry for you) but that wouldn't be correct either because we all get to choose how it works for us
Welcome to 1950? More like welcome to 2013. Where women are more independent than ever and are able to take care of their own bills & responsibilities without a man's input. If a woman doesnt need my input on her spending, why should I need a woman's input on my spending.

And while I agree the "Sorry that you do" comment could have been interpreted as unnecessary, it was directed at those who get up, go out and earn their own money, but then need another individual "approval" when it comes time to spend that money. There are many couples that still work that way, where the paychecks are combined & shared.. with one or both individuals in the relationship controlling & approve that combined spending.

That does not make sense to me. So here's a nicer way of saying what works for me.

I work full time. I earn my own money. I pay my bills on-time. I handle my own responsibilities. I control my spending.
She works full time. She earns her own money. She pays her bills on-time. She handles her own responsibilities. She controls her spending.

I do not tell her what to do with the money she earns. She does not tell me what to do with mine. We are both independent, responsible adults. We see no need to control or approve each others financial. And we are able get along just fine with our arrangement to remain financially independent, while paying some shared "community" bills together.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 07-21-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Did you ask the wifey?