Sponsored by:

Did you ask the wifey?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Davidl81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I would give serious consideration to the next generation M4 coupe... my bet is it will be outstanding. I owned an E92 M3 coupe and really loved it!
I'm going test drive a m6 in a few hours. I hope you guys don't hold this against me.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:01 PM
donkeyman
Heel & Toe

My wife and I have have our own income (we make about the same) and maintain separate bank accounts for "our own stuff". She buys whatever she wants. I buy what I want. But we talk to each other before any big purchases.

I was looking at pictures of the C7 and simply showed her how nice the car was. She said to me, "Why don't you get one. You never buy anything for yourself." I am still "thinking" about it because I never buy anything new, so I will wait until 2016 to see what's available in the used market.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:18 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidl81
I'm going test drive a m6 in a few hours. I hope you guys don't hold this against me.
The M6 is beautiful but not sporty enough for me. It's a big and FAST GT but doesn't feel nimble. If you want closer to a Corvette feel, wait for the M4 IMO.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:24 PM
1stTimeforEverything
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 14 Posts

My wife asked me to test a C6, then told me to buy a C7. I obeyed. (I originally had no intention of doing either.)
Old 07-20-2013, 12:32 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

When I told her my GTO was getting too old and I wanted the new Vette, she said I'm not surprised.....of course, she got her dream ride a couple years ago - a new Mercedes E350 with all the bells a whistles, (great car, BTW). She also got the SUV she wanted out of the deal, a Hyundai Santa Fe we share. Win-win-win.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:44 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,278 Posts

I'm very fortunate to be married to a "guy's gal". Spoiled with having a great wife, and she knows and is ok the 7 is on my radar.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:52 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

She suggested black, I'm partial to laguna blue. Hopefully, she'll get one of her own otherwise I anticipate the occasional 'discussion' over who gets to drive....
Old 07-20-2013, 02:23 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

The m6 is a great car yet if you can wait for the new m4 coupe thats about to release as mentioned you should find find it more sporting. The m6 is a cool ride ...its a GT car and I look forward to your review.

The m6 is a bruiser and cruiser. I have a feeling the new BMW m4 will be more sports car like...bigger and sleeker than the m3 coupe but lighter and more powerful.

The M4 reviews and the release are just around the corner.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:53 PM
manic mike
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

6I used to own a Shelby Cobra GT500 which she didn't like. That car was great in the straights but not the best for mountain driving in Colorado. So I sold it a couple of years ago.

When the details of the C7 became public I got the bug. She said I was crazy.

Well, I couldn't wait and I bought an '07 Z51 Monterey Red with 3LT and chrome wheels. She absolutely loves this car and Is driving it all the time.

Recently I showed her a pic of the C7 next to a C6 off of this forum. She has fallen in love with the C7. All I need to do now is get her into one for a test drive. My dilemma now will be to get a '14 or wait for the '15 to come out.

She rocks!

By the way, my Vette is an awesome ride in the mountains. I know the C7 is going to be even better!

Last edited by manic mike; 07-20-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:55 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 207 Likes on 146 Posts

She's the one that insisted we buy one.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:57 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 348 Likes on 224 Posts

When I bought my C6, the first my wife knew about it was when I drove it home from the dealer. When she bought her 911 the first I knew about it was when it showed up in the driveway. We have a great relationship but don't need one another's permission to buy stuff.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:14 PM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

She gets her 2014 MB E550 next week. I get my C7 soon thereafter, at 3000v I hope.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

My wife loves Vettes. Our 07 is the longest we have kept one. Any option I wanted was fine. We did take a few weeks to agree on the interior color.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,965 Likes on 1,387 Posts

I'm running into the issue many 30 year olds run into. We have a new born baby and the two seats become a big issue. The wife brings up a good point, if I get a vette we will never really get to ride together since we don't have room for the baby. She is also nervous about me just taking the baby and putting her in the front seat. She told me I can get it if I want, but I'm starting to look at a few other cars that have four seats so we can take trips in it together.
I would just take "her car" for the family outings, and use yours for work, personal errands, and solo drives. Generally with small kids, you have carry all kinds of stuff anyway, diaper bags, toys, etc., which a larger family car is better for. Also kids are hard on a car, spilled food and drinks, vomit, scratches, etc.

I would have no problem putting a child in the front seat of a Corvette. The main issue previously was that the air bags did not turn off which could injure a small child. All the new cars support turning off the bags for the front passenger. Also the Corvette is not a small car - plenty of crush space in an accident.

Michael
Old 07-20-2013, 03:54 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I would just take "her car" for the family outings, and use yours for work, personal errands, and solo drives. Generally with small kids, you have carry all kinds of stuff anyway, diaper bags, toys, etc., which a larger family car is better for. Also kids are hard on a car, spilled food and drinks, vomit, scratches, etc.

I would have no problem putting a child in the front seat of a Corvette. The main issue previously was that the air bags did not turn off which could injure a small child. All the new cars support turning off the bags for the front passenger. Also the Corvette is not a small car - plenty of crush space in an accident.

Michael
Exactly how I manage it. I have 3 kids from 2 to 12 in age and it is rare they are in my car. The odd time is no issue. I have an inexpensive winter vehicle and my wife has a family-mobile. Works exceptionally well and I get the Vette too.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:09 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A

Michael
Your logic is flawless and correct...still pregnant soon to be moms often have concerns that transcend logic...

No reason to poke the bear! especially if you'd be happy with an m4 or m6 BMW...

They are both fine cars too...

Honestly you could buy the c7 and by the time your ready to travel with the baby if your wife still has concerns....you can lease a beater Chevy Malibu or cruze for 150 a. Month no money down (with a few gm card bonus points) if need be

I'm sure you would also be able to sell a one year old 2014 c7 z51 with MRC and NPP and the m7 for 5 grand less than you paid for it too.. (Worst case)
Old 07-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Turbobndt
Instructor

I'm single and ask no one. Just have to struggle with my inner-self about these big decisions. The struggle lasted for about 2 seconds after the unveiling.

Get notified of new replies

To Did you ask the wifey?

Old 07-20-2013, 04:29 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 966 Likes on 573 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

I'm running into the issue many 30 year olds run into. We have a new born baby and the two seats become a big issue. The wife brings up a good point, if I get a vette we will never really get to ride together since we don't have room for the baby. She is also nervous about me just taking the baby and putting her in the front seat. She told me I can get it if I want, but I'm starting to look at a few other cars that have four seats so we can take trips in it together.
Get the Corvette, you WON'T regret it! And I have small kids.
See sig.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Its my money. Not her's. I did not need to ask her opinion on how I made it, So I do not need to ask her opinion on how I spend it.

Sorry that you do.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:43 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

On finances, we have a 50/50 deal. I put money in and she takes it out of the ATM. She's never asked if we can afford anything I've bought.

When I came home after spending 8 hours one day shopping for the C6 I bought in 2011, all she said "You mean you were serious about buying a Vette?"

When I showed her a picture of the C7 in a local newspaper, she actually said she thought it was really good looking so I'll buy one when the mood hits. The mood generally hits if I walk into a dealership so I'll avoid doing that because I do really enjoy my C6. (plus I don't know if I want a vert or a coupe.)

Quick Reply: Did you ask the wifey?