C7 Auto Or Stick for 800HP ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:54 AM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default C7 Auto Or Stick for 800HP ?

Hey Guys , looking to pick up my 3rd vette. I spoke to Andy at A&A corvette..he told me to stay away from the Auto. He told me its the same POS from the C6 06-13 models

My plans are to s/c it as soon as it arrives. I would like to be around 650whp or take the next step and forged the pistons and rods and go up to 850whp. I really wanted an auto.. Now I am second guessing myself.

I am surprised Chevy stuck that same POS tranny that can only handle 550hp in auto mode.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Just because the 6L80 can't handle 650whp+ doesn't make it a POS by any means.

Maybe GM will put a 6L90 behind a hi-po auto C7 but I doubt it.

Until then I'd just get the manual.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm sure RPM transmissions can build that sucker up for whatever your performance goals are. If you're planning on boosting and forging your motor anyway, what's a transmission upgrade to you?

If you had a stick, you'd have to switch to a 1300 dollar clutch anyway...
Old 07-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

So which OEM Automatic transmission is NOT a POS because it can handle 800HP without mods? There is no such thing. If you want that kind of power you'll have to perform driveline mods either way. The list of things you need to get a slushbox to handle that kind of power would be pretty long. Even with the manual, you're sure to need a clutch and driveshaft mod at least.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:59 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
I'm sure RPM transmissions can build that sucker up for whatever your performance goals are. If you're planning on boosting and forging your motor anyway, what's a transmission upgrade to you?

If you had a stick, you'd have to switch to a 1300 dollar clutch anyway...
Just got off the phone with RPM. They told be the auto is not really upgradable and that the ECU and Tranny communicate with each other causing future issues. So they recommended Manuel and should i choose to convert it to a AUTO the ECU will basically stay out if it..lol

I guess i will order a manuel and go from there.If i really hate the stick , ill convert it to a level 7 RPM trans.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:30 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stupid is spreading like wildfire here.

Engine
Clutch/flywheel
Transmission
Driveshaft(torque tube)
Differential
Axles

Oh and suspension that can actually manage to put that power down.

Generally speaking, that's what you have to address in a RWD car. You're concerned about the trans when literally doubling the power? I think you'll need deeper pockets then you think to put a car together like you want.

650whp is about 770hp. I think you're sadly mistaken to think the LT1 will be able to handle a 310hp increase unforged. The 7 speed wont handle 770hp for very long either. NOTHING on the car will.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1

Engine
Clutch/flywheel
Transmission
Driveshaft(torque tube)
Differential
Axles

Generally speaking, that's what you have to address in a RWD car. You're concerned about the trans when literally doubling the power? I think you'll need deeper pockets then you think to put a car together like you want.

650whp is about 770hp. I think you're sadly mistaken to think the LT1 will be able to handle a 310hp increase unforged. The 7 speed wont handle 770hp for very long either. NOTHING on the car will.
Talk about uninformed?

First of all, I'm running the original T56 6spd in my '99 FRC. It's made at least 650bhp since summer of 2006. At peak, it made 706rwhp before I de-tuned it without Meth in April. Now upgrading the fuel system and hoping to be back over 700rwhp. This is with a stroker 402 and a Vortech T-trim pushing 12psi.

Now onto your comment about engines. There are several members in the C5 forced induction section making over 700rwhp on stock short block LS1's and LS6's. More than a handful have done it with LS2's and LS3's. You're telling me the LT1 is weaker than any of these engines?

Hell a member of my Corvette group is rocking 622rwhp on his stock shortblock LS1 and staying California smog legal. He's also using the original T-56 transmission and rear end. What are your qualifications to make these comments?

`
Old 07-19-2013, 11:07 AM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1

Engine
Clutch/flywheel
Transmission
Driveshaft(torque tube)
Differential
Axles

I think you are still stuck in the c4 days..lol

My 06 Z06 made 678whp on pump crap CA gas with no meth. I beat the crap out of the car on stock clutch, stock motor.The only thing that was added was a Supercharger.

my car stock made 437whp on the same dyno... thats 241whp. more on pump gas.

so I would say your on the stupid side...

Last edited by vegasredz062; 07-19-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Talk about uninformed?

First of all, I'm running the original T56 6spd in my '99 FRC. It's made at least 650bhp since summer of 2006. At peak, it made 706rwhp before I de-tuned it without Meth in April. Now upgrading the fuel system and hoping to be back over 700rwhp. This is with a stroker 402 and a Vortech T-trim pushing 12psi.

Now onto your comment about engines. There are several members in the C5 forced induction section making over 700rwhp on stock short block LS1's and LS6's. More than a handful have done it with LS2's and LS3's. You're telling me the LT1 is weaker than any of these engines?

Hell a member of my Corvette group is rocking 622rwhp on his stock shortblock LS1 and staying California smog legal. He's also using the original T-56 transmission and rear end. What are your qualifications to make these comments?

`
Count yourself lucky. GM isn't going to throw money away and add weight to over design just so people can put blowers on their cars. None of your cars would pass GM's durability testing either.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 07-19-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Educate me guys.

Not trying to start a war here but, I thought it was a pretty basic rule of thumb to strengthen the bottom in when boosting a car that was designed to be NA. Are these C5s with double the power being boosted daily or just going in for a dyno run and then not being driven 364 days a year. I have a hard time believing that any car can double the hp, use stock NA pistons and NA crank and be perfectly fine being ragged out for years with no issues.

-Alex
Old 07-19-2013, 03:45 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Id say manual. I spent thousands on my Nissan GTR dual clutch and it still couldn't hold up. I wonder if the clutch in the C7 is the same as the C6 and if not the improvements. I know the one used in the Camaro sucked ***. I burned it out on my first pass at the strip
Old 07-19-2013, 06:52 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
Id say manual. I spent thousands on my Nissan GTR dual clutch and it still couldn't hold up. I wonder if the clutch in the C7 is the same as the C6 and if not the improvements. I know the one used in the Camaro sucked ***. I burned it out on my first pass at the strip
Yea, I will go with the Manual setup.

As far as the GTR tranny... A stage 4 (25K) can handle 1500hp.
AMS just went 7.98@186 through a built GR6.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:55 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
Educate me guys.

Not trying to start a war here but, I thought it was a pretty basic rule of thumb to strengthen the bottom in when boosting a car that was designed to be NA. Are these C5s with double the power being boosted daily or just going in for a dyno run and then not being driven 364 days a year. I have a hard time believing that any car can double the hp, use stock NA pistons and NA crank and be perfectly fine being ragged out for years with no issues.

-Alex
Alex,
I would say 40%-50% increase in power is still with in reason with a safe tune... some tuner push the tunes to the limit. Keep the timing in check and AFRs deep in the 11s. Should last a good 50k miles or so.

as far as double? no chance. If a Z06 is making 430whp.. there is no way it will live at 860... 650-680 with a proper tune you will be fine.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:13 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto
Educate me guys.

-Alex
You would get more responses in the c5 and c6 forced inductioned sections for obvious reasons. The ls cranks are good for over 1000hp and most who forge their bottom ends, stay withthe oem cranks. As far as the rods and pistons, they can handle double the factory power within reason. You arent going to get 100k miles out of a factory shortblock with +300-400hp, but 50k is definitely do-able.

You will find all spectrum of owners. Dyno queens, track junkies, and daily driver types. I fall under the daily driver spot.

I got 27k of 480-512rwhp out of a stock long block ls1 that was supercharged at 107k miles with the original clutch. She had blow-by when I pulled the motor but was still running hard and the clutch was still grabbing with street use.

My 402 has almost 40k miles and the only issue it has had was one of the terra yellow rockers broke in april. She has factory rockers back in her now.

You should see the power they are making out of the truck 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 engines...
Old 07-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys

-Alex

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Auto Or Stick for 800HP ?

Quick Reply: C7 Auto Or Stick for 800HP ?