C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Sting Ray: Genesis of an American Icon.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:28 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette Sting Ray: Genesis of an American Icon.

Peter Brock did the orginal sketches for the Sting Ray (the original one) under the direction of Mitchell who had just returned from Europe and been inspired by the Alfa Romeo Disco Volante. Peter's skertches were the ones Mitchell liked. Despite Peter's boss hiding Peter's sketches after Mitchell first saw them and trying to subtitue others, Mitchell kept asking for Peter's work. The end result was the '63 split window coupe and the Sting Ray racer. For the 60th anniversary, GM let Peter into the archives which has resulted in Peter Brock publishing a new book, Corvette Sting Ray: Genesis of an American Icon. The reason I'm posting this here is that GM has made a BIG fuss that the C7 is worthy of the Sting Ray name, I thought some would like to read the story of the original Sting Ray from the guy who did the job. As far as I know, it's currently in pre pub stage and availablke from BRE only at this time.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:14 PM
jsc7vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
Peter Brock did the orginal sketches for the Sting Ray (the original one) under the direction of Mitchell who had just returned from Europe and been inspired by the Alfa Romeo Disco Volante. Peter's skertches were the ones Mitchell liked. Despite Peter's boss hiding Peter's sketches after Mitchell first saw them and trying to subtitue others, Mitchell kept asking for Peter's work. The end result was the '63 split window coupe and the Sting Ray racer. For the 60th anniversary, GM let Peter into the archives which has resulted in Peter Brock publishing a new book, Corvette Sting Ray: Genesis of an American Icon. The reason I'm posting this here is that GM has made a BIG fuss that the C7 is worthy of the Sting Ray name, I thought some would like to read the story of the original Sting Ray from the guy who did the job. As far as I know, it's currently in pre pub stage and availablke from BRE only at this time.
Yes it should make a great read. I talked to Peter this weekend and you can pre-order at http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc...ory_Code=books and also will be able to pick one up at the 60th Reunion at Laguna Seca in August. Also of note is that the book has an intro written by Ed Welburn
Old 07-17-2013, 12:43 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

I thought Larry Shinoda had some involvement in/credit for the Stingray design also? In fact, the NCM web site credits him with such in their profile on him in his bio in the "Hall of Fame" section.

Perhaps the confusion may arise from the work that Pete Brock and Bob Verzer did on the 1957 XP-84 Q concept Corvette, which had the basic body lines of the later Stingray. See the pic below. That concept was based on early development of the Corvair, and would have used a rear transaxle and IRS!

My understanding is that Shinoda took that concept and refined it into the '63 split window.
Attached Images  
Old 07-17-2013, 01:05 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I thought Larry Shinoda had some involvement in/credit for the Stingray design also? In fact, the NCM web site credits him with such in their profile on him in his bio in the "Hall of Fame" section.

Perhaps the confusion may arise from the work that Pete Brock and Bob Verzer did on the 1957 XP-84 Q concept Corvette, which had the basic body lines of the later Stingray. See the pic below. That concept was based on early development of the Corvair, and would have used a rear transaxle and IRS!

My understanding is that Shinoda took that concept and refined it into the '63 split window.
Yup. After Peter's experience with his boss trying to hide his sketches, Peter quit GM and headed west. Larry did pick up the design and do the refinement along with many others. Peter's original sketches were the ones that best expressed Mitchell's vision of what the Corvette should be. I'm looking forward to seeing what Peter got from GM's archives. In all design cases, there is a main design theme which then is refined through countless itterations by many people. Mitchell was inspired by the Alfa, had a vision in mind, and Peter's work best expressed that vision. Peter was a very young man at the time.

As an aside, when I was working for large corporations, I evaluated the success of a project by how many people and what level they had within the corporation who were taking credit for the project! Success has many fathers, failure is an orphan.

By the by, I never trust the official history on anything. It was written to please and flatter those in power. As for personal histories, I believe they are reality as the person first experienced it and as they continually re experienceing it every time they relive the event. Memory is not recall, it is relive.

Last edited by I Bin Therbefor; 07-17-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Sting Ray: Genesis of an American Icon.

Quick Reply: Corvette Sting Ray: Genesis of an American Icon.