Sponsored by:

NAV System

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 03:41 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Dracla
I've been a lot of places, some very new, and the NAV system in my 2010 C6 has always worked. In fact it worked great. It has never gotten me lost, and it has never failed to find a place, even if it was new (at least I thought it was new).

So all this time I've been assuming that it updated automatically when it was in sight of a satellite. So, now that I learn all this from this board, I'll have to admit that apparently, I am a dummy. But fortunately for me, it has not mattered.
No, you're not a dummy! Please just read your owners manual. You will no doubt find out more about your car. Some really good stuff!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:41 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
Good rebuttal. Red2012 is trolling as usual.
Why don't you just mind your business. God forbid anybody say anything about the beloved C7. I think the Kenwood unit is the better unit in itself and don't care about the integration. I don't troll but speak my mind or is that not allowed in C7. Put me on your ignore list than you won't have to deal with me.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Lincoln has sent me 2 free upgrades for my 2011 MKX MySync system which included new maps. Still, I would prefer a Garmin NUVI Nav as the Lincoln's Nav system is not very good. It does however provide text to speech for incoming messaging which is nice but not outgoing speech to text. If GM's system recognizes "normal sentence structure verbal commands" as advertised it will be a big improvement. Not sure if the C7 does this but the Impala advertises it.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:07 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I dont know why they all just dont use Google Maps anyways. Gmaps on my iPhone is by far the best NAV mapping software I've ever used. It locates everything, its constantly updated, it has built in Zagat reviews, phone numbers, addresses, etc.

About the only issue I have with Gmaps on iPHone is that is sucks at redirecting.. and sucks at live traffic. But there literally an update this morning that addressed those two issues.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,056 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
You mean the same Kenwood NAV that has been working on C6 HUD integration for the past 3 years.. and its still not available yet? While the factory navigation system available in the C6 is horribly dated, it has seemlessly intergrated with the C6 HUD since 2004, when the 2005 C6 was first introduced. HUD integration is the best use of NAV instructions, because it means you never have to take your eyes off the road to see the instructions. Easier directions and less chance of causing an accident because you were looking down at your console trying to decipher a map while driving. Besides.. if I wanted to look down at a screen for NAV instructions, then I could just use my smartphone.

Neither the C6, nor the Kenwood NAV headunits are news to me. I've researched C6 NAV & headunit options for about four years now and never felt impressed enough by what the aftermarket has put those solutions in my car. The Garmin navigation in the Kenwood units is one of the better systems on the market, and can able to locate/direct much better than other aftermarket NAVs. But the interface on the Kenwood units is slow, clunky & still using very low resolution graphics. They really do look like something from a 90's Nintendo game. The picture below shows exactly what I mean:

I also looked into Pioneer NAV/headunit offerings which do have a smoother, prettier and higher resolution interface. Pioneer also has better smartphone integration & the ability to mirror/remote control some applications off my iPhone. But to get everything working there are still way too many adapters, cables, add-ons needed. (Bluetooth, Handsfree mic, voice navigation input, GPS antenna, clunky iPhone cable). Even then the solution is not stable and many people run into problems later when features stop working on the car.

Trust me. Having a choice of any available aftermarket solution in my C6 or 2014 MyLink. I'd still take the MyLink every time. Which is exactly why I said instead of spending $2K to upgrade to touchscreen NAV in my C6.. I'll just use that $2K towards upgrading the entire car to a C7.

An excellent explanation of why I too have not changed from factory nav to aftermarket, in our C6.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,056 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Dracla
I've been a lot of places, some very new, and the NAV system in my 2010 C6 has always worked. In fact it worked great. It has never gotten me lost, and it has never failed to find a place, even if it was new (at least I thought it was new).

So all this time I've been assuming that it updated automatically when it was in sight of a satellite. So, now that I learn all this from this board, I'll have to admit that apparently, I am a dummy. But fortunately for me, it has not mattered.
We've been using the factory nav over most of the U.S. for over 100,000 miles since 2006; our luck is not quite as good as yours but our factory nav still performs as well, overall, as any of the aftermarket units or Garmins. We own two Garmins and 4 cellphone navs, plus many thousand of miles in caravan with others using non-factory systems, so this is not a snap judgment.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:44 PM
GTVETT
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just replaced the nav in my 2006 with a kenwood. Full integration with iPhone, both BT and hard cable plus it uses garmin based nav. It also integrates with Pandora and more. The graphics are awesome and user friendly. You use an interface cable so you don't have to cut and factory harnesses. You can easily go backwards.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:17 PM
willie2323
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
I just use my iPad - better map from Google, always up to date, and it talks me through it. NAV in a car is OBE. All I need is a good iPad stand / power socket.
absolutely! I use my Ipad off road. tons of mounts available.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:35 PM
GTVETT
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing like a high end in dash nav entertainment system. No mounts or cables to deal with and always at the ready to integrate automatically with iPhone. Many time you need the nav after you begin your drive. It's neater in the vehicle and has no clutter. God knows there's not much room in the cockpit.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,330 Likes on 1,985 Posts

If it were a $1500-2500 option like it used to be, I'd agree and pass. But for what they're asking, it's more than reasonable to avoid having to drag mount/cables/garmin/etc along. I'm hoping for a very good system.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
No, you're not a dummy! Please just read your owners manual. You will no doubt find out more about your car. Some really good stuff!
Read the owners manual? That is a novel idea I will certainly try as soon as I have a problem. Until then, I'll just tool along and pretend I know what I'm doing.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 PM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daekwan06 FTW. Excellent points made. I'm an ardent Waze user as well. Will be interesting to see how Google integrates with it.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:44 PM
rijowysock
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
You're not supposed to be driving and looking at the screen anyway. Google maps gives me directions through my bluetooth headset. And yes, factory installed nav is a ripoff.
$795 is actually dirt cheap compared to most other brands nav cost.

order a new Cayenne and it's $4k for Nav.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 PM
c7luvr
Racer

One of the main differences between smartphone nav and factory installed nav is that the factory installed nav has an extra level of precision by using data from the vehicle speed sensors.

Quick Reply: NAV System