C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone starting to 'cool off' on the C7 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It's funny but no. I was asked yesterday about it and we went off on a 20 minute discussion about what new things have been learned in recent weeks.

I'm actually pretty pumped. Too bad I have at least another 6 months to wait.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by CaryKen
To the members who back in late 2012 were complaining about "GM isn't releasing enough information early enough" - I direct your attention to this thread and others of its ilk.

We have a member who is furious because he put in an early pre-production order and GM has had the effrontery and gall to delay production all the way into the actual quarter they said production would start.

We have members who are furious because the general public does not yet have access to an online visual interface for configuration of a car that is not yet in production, cannot be ordered through the majority of dealers in the GM dealership network, and has no delivery dates announced even for the first batch of limited production orders.

We have members who are bored with the C7 and find it to be unexciting now that the initial rush of the announcement and first pictures is over. Even though not a single customer or dealer has received a car yet.

And you wonder why GM didn't start the announcement and release process any EARLIER?!? Sheesh.

Roll your eyes all you want but if you offer a car to the public and ask them for money, the least you can do is give them a configurator so they can decide if they want one and how much it would cost so they can plan their purchase.

If you want to roll your eyes, roll it at the audacity of a company to ask you for your money and not tell you what your buying.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Philr56
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

My brother and I plan on ordering ours in winter for a spring delivery. Yes, this is the best Corvette yet and it will be worth the wait, even with the "batmobile" styling.

If the design fails you that much, simple don't buy one. The rest of us will be happy with the C7, defective tail light design and all.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:04 PM
paracord
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

I was cool ever since the day they introduced it. I think it is very ugly although i'm sure it will be the best performing generation yet when it's all said and done.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:15 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default time

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I have to say it, I'm beginning to feel less excitement; thinking I already have a fantastic vette, what's the hurry? I can either rush right in, or wait for a nice used one in the not too distant future. The lack of a configurator isn't helping either.....starting to vacillate a little...what say you?

gm should have tried to get as many C7's as they could on the road by this summer. it would have continued to heighten and sustain interest.

imo of course
Old 07-16-2013, 02:46 PM
LouB57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red1990VT
It's hard to cool off to something you never warmed up to in the first place. The C7 simply does not look like a Corvette from the doors back. The Camaro tail lights, restricted visibility hatch, batmobile styling, and the general rear end appearance of a 1980s Japanese car doesn't work for me, and apparently for a lot of others either.

The front of the C7 is awesome. The interior is fantastic. Rear of the doors is a different car that certainly isn't a Corvette and doesn't fit with the rest of the vehicle.

GM really needs to rethink producing the C7 versus redesigning the rear portion to harmonize with the rest of the car, and to look like a Corvette.

following that logic....

Man should not have evolved, and remained Neanderthal / Cro-Magnon
Old 07-16-2013, 02:55 PM
paracord
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LouB57
following that logic....

You can evolve as a brand but still maintain what makes the brand recognizable.

The Rolex Submariner came out the same year as the Corvette and it still maintains a TON of design cues from the original.

I realize cars change more than watches.....but you have the iconic things that Corvettes have that MAKE them Corvettes. The cross flags, the fiber body, the front-hinged hood, V8, round tails, etc.

You can put the cross flags on a Cobalt. But that doesn't make it a Corvette. People have an expectation of a car that isn't a totally clean slate. It has characteristics that make it iconic.

The new Vette just departs from too many of those things ESPECIALLY the rear end. It just looks like nothing that has ever been there before. Incredibly busy and japanese/ninja-looking.

That's all we're saying.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:56 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Love the car! Every time I see it in person, amazes me even more (as do many pictures). My wife, who likes our C6, loves the C7 and wants it to "come home soon."
Old 07-16-2013, 03:00 PM
John_R
Racer

Up here in Eastern Canada am always cool, and in the winter months we're chillin

I'll be waiting for 2nd or 3rd year, who knows what else would be standard or if they get that 8 spd Auto. I'll end up with the 7 spd manual most likely.

This would be my first non used Corvette. The C7 would be a keeper and hopefully my last car that I buy. (Even I don't believe what I just said about it being my last)
Old 07-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I'm still in the fence. Thinking I'd like a 2015, but having a hard time giving up the classic look of my '13 GS.

My sales guy at my Chevy dealer, will call me as soon as he gets one in for me to drive.

That will be the deciding factor. The look, handling, interior, etc., will have to hit me pretty hard. If it does, I'll order a '15 C7 next July, if not, I'll be very happy with my new C6 GS.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I think there will be more excitement when we start getting performance data from magazine testing.
IMO, it will be very impressive for what is a base car with or without Z51.
S.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I have to say it, I'm beginning to feel less excitement; thinking I already have a fantastic vette, what's the hurry? I can either rush right in, or wait for a nice used one in the not too distant future. The lack of a configurator isn't helping either.....starting to vacillate a little...what say you?
Exactly. Make up your mind, stand in line or wait a few months or years. But, stop complaining.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:44 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Exactly.. we're in the lull period between the release/info gathering and the delivery of actual cars. Once people start getting them they will post up about their experiences and start modding and racing them and things will get very exciting like they do with every generation.

Then the Z06 will come out and people will go nuts... then the L88 and people will go more nuts.

Then one day... years down the road... the forums will be inundated with vendor posts and "how do I fix this?" or "This is squeeking" or "Do you like my cheap-*** eBay purchased mods to this once new and exciting car?" Such is the life-cycle of every model/forum.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Davidl81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand what the OP is saying. Please do not take this as bashing the C7. I have a C7 on order, but the wife has been pressing me hard to look at a four seat car (we have a 6 month old baby and she wants something we can all ride in, hard to argue about that). She had me thinking and yesterday I test drove a 2013 M6. I know they are totally different cars, but now I am having trouble deciding on what to do. The M6 is almost as fast as the C7 (albeit 1k lbs heavier), and it has the four seats that my wife likes.

I think the issue is that I'm pretty excited about a new car and I can get the M6 today, and my C7 won't come in till October. It just becomes a lot of time to start to think about other options.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:03 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by evilmonkey
He's just working through the 12 stages of new model ordering:
1) OMG, I can't wait to see the new vette, will it be better?
2) WOW, look at that vette, I can't wait to own one
3) Yes, I got my order in - first in line!
4) OMG yes, my order is accepted, her comes my baby!
5) Hmm, why am I stuck at 3000? anyone else moving?
6) OMG, are they ever gonna start building these things???
7) I hate GM, they just don't care about me!
8) I hate the new vette - I can't take any more of this rejection! (current stage of OP)
9) Wait a minute, my TPW!
10) Built/shipped! YES!
11) Arrived! I LOVE IT!
12) My new C7 is making a squeaking noise somewhere above my head, anyone else notice that?
I especially like the reality check on number 12.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 PM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LouB57
following that logic....

Actually, for the sustainability of mankind on planet Earth, that is exactly what should have happened.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:21 PM
F4Topgun
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

I feel like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas. To hell with the money or the wait. "This is my toy and you can't play with it!"

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone starting to 'cool off' on the C7 yet?

Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 PM
TRT SR
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 102 Posts

No Way!!!! getting hotter!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by paracord
You can evolve as a brand but still maintain what makes the brand recognizable.

The Rolex Submariner came out the same year as the Corvette and it still maintains a TON of design cues from the original.

I realize cars change more than watches.....but you have the iconic things that Corvettes have that MAKE them Corvettes. The cross flags, the fiber body, the front-hinged hood, V8, round tails, etc.

You can put the cross flags on a Cobalt. But that doesn't make it a Corvette. People have an expectation of a car that isn't a totally clean slate. It has characteristics that make it iconic.

The new Vette just departs from too many of those things ESPECIALLY the rear end. It just looks like nothing that has ever been there before. Incredibly busy and japanese/ninja-looking.

That's all we're saying.
Great example of why some os don't love this new car. Get ready for lots of angry attacks though as an adult opinion or conversation about the design is a big no no here.

Get ready to be called and accused of these things:

1) A Hater
2) Jealous cause your are a possible C6 owner
3) Jealous cause you can't afford it
4) don't like the "envelope pushed" with your designs
5) your are a troll that wants to start trouble
6) you are one of only 6 or so people on here who don't like the car

Last edited by Hirohawa; 07-16-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 PM
John_R
Racer

Originally Posted by Davidl81
I understand what the OP is saying. Please do not take this as bashing the C7. I have a C7 on order, but the wife has been pressing me hard to look at a four seat car (we have a 6 month old baby and she wants something we can all ride in, hard to argue about that). She had me thinking and yesterday I test drove a 2013 M6. I know they are totally different cars, but now I am having trouble deciding on what to do. The M6 is almost as fast as the C7 (albeit 1k lbs heavier), and it has the four seats that my wife likes.

I think the issue is that I'm pretty excited about a new car and I can get the M6 today, and my C7 won't come in till October. It just becomes a lot of time to start to think about other options.
Just get yourself a McLaren F1, will fit the wife and baby, what more can you ask for. It even has 2 trunk space.

RIGHT & LEFT TRUNK

Quick Reply: Anyone starting to 'cool off' on the C7 yet?