Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crystal Red Tintcoat vs Crystal Red Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:09 PM
PGSJOE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that is all well and good however the color in the auto refinising industry is not available as a base clear - take it for what you will. I know this personally because I have painted this color more than once.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:13 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Paint work on any of these color with tinted clear is a nightmare. Millennium Yellow was the worst due to how translucent the yellow base coat could be and then the tinted clear on top of that.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:06 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by PGSJOE
that is all well and good however the color in the auto refinising industry is not available as a base clear - take it for what you will. I know this personally because I have painted this color more than once.
No one ever said it was. The topic and the earlier question was about the color, how it is painted at the factory and the match of the 2014 color to the 2013 color.

In post 37 you introduced how the paint is handled in the aftermarket and represented that this is also how it is done at the factory. I was correcting that assertion because it is inaccurate. Yes, it is very common to paint this color and many other tint coat colors as a tri-coat because getting a good match to the factory paint is difficult without blending unless it is done this way.

Last edited by talon90; 07-12-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
No one ever said it was. The topic and the earlier question was about the color, how it is painted at the factory and the match of the 2014 color to the 2013 color.

In post 37 you introduced how the paint is handled in the aftermarket and represented that this is also how it is done at the factory. I was correcting that assertion because it is inaccurate. Yes, it is very common to paint this color and many other tint coat colors as a tri-coat because getting a good match to the factory paint is difficult without blending unless it is done this way.
Actually, the original question was about Tintcoat vs Metallic. And I asked because I have Metallic on my 2010 C6, but I ordered what I thought was the same thing for my C7. Now I find out the names changed, but from all I hear, Tintcoat and Metallic look essentially the same. I'm happy with that.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Dracla
Actually, the original question was about Tintcoat vs Metallic. And I asked because I have Metallic on my 2010 C6, but I ordered what I thought was the same thing for my C7. Now I find out the names changed, but from all I hear, Tintcoat and Metallic look essentially the same. I'm happy with that.
It's even worse than that. The marketing (order guide) name for the paint has changed this we know. The Crystal red color across both generations was and is both a metallic color and a tint coat paint so there is no difference between the two in that regard.

Quick Reply: Crystal Red Tintcoat vs Crystal Red Metallic