Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Dracla
I'd like to be sure it is the same color, but I'm wondering how sure you are?
Paint code for the 2014 Stingray WA-505Q.

Paint code for the 2013 Corvette WA-505Q.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:15 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

So what I hear all of you saying is that the Tintcoat is not exactly the same as Metallic. But they are similar.

Will the average person be able to tell the difference, and if they can, what is the difference they will see?
"Metallic" is the little bits of silver flecks you see when you're up close to the paint. They can be very fine textured or they can be bigger and multicolored like when you look closely at Cyber Gray.

Tintcoat is an extra coat of clear (in addition to the usual base color and clear coat) that has been "tinted" with some color. Generally it adds depth and intensity to a metallic color like Crystal Red more so than to the non-metallic Velocity Yellow tintcoat
Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Dracla
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
Paint code for the 2014 Stingray WA-505Q.

Paint code for the 2013 Corvette WA-505Q.
OK, I get it. The paint code for both is exactly the same.

However, the names Tintcoat and Metallic are not. Therefore, there must be SOME difference.

I'm trying to understand that difference, because I already have a CRM in my 2010 C6, and I have a CRT on order for my C7. Will I be able to see a difference? If so, what will I see?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:24 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by ZL-1
"Metallic" is the little bits of silver flecks you see when you're up close to the paint. They can be very fine textured or they can be bigger and multicolored like when you look closely at Cyber Gray.

Tintcoat is an extra coat of clear (in addition to the usual base color and clear coat) that has been "tinted" with some color. Generally it adds depth and intensity to a metallic color like Crystal Red more so than to the non-metallic Velocity Yellow tintcoat
This is a good description. The formulation of the Crystal red changed in calendar year 2011 when the tsunami hit Japan. The sole factory in Onahama that makes the Xirilic flake used to form the metallic was wiped out. That forced the CRM paint on to constraint as it was the sole sorce for that pigment. Lots of work went in to reformulating the paint to be an exact visual match with an altered formulation.

The paint on both the current generation Corvette and the next generation Stingray Corvette are metallic. The tint coat simply describes the process used to arrive at the final color.

All Corvettes use a primer, a base color coat and a clear coat. Some of these clear coats are conventional and some of them are tinted based on the desired final color. The tint is nothing more than a pigment added to conventional clear coat to alter the shade of the final color. Both the 2013 and the 2014 Crystal Red are Metallics and both are tint coat colors. I don't know why the name changed for 2014 but the color is the same.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:24 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

OK, I get it. The paint code for both is exactly the same.

However, the names Tintcoat and Metallic are not. Therefore, there must be SOME difference.

I'm trying to understand that difference, because I already have a CRM in my 2010 C6, and I have a CRT on order for my C7. Will I be able to see a difference? If so, what will I see?
You will not see any difference because there isn't any difference to see. Different in name only. The key to the paint code being the same indicates that they are interchangeable and you could use that touchup paint on either. The paint codes only change when the color changes.

Here's a good photo of a Crystal Red Stingray shot by forum member mpuzach.

Name:  P1020753.jpg
Views: 8885
Size:  419.4 KB

Last edited by talon90; 07-11-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Dracla
Racer

Thank you for that detailed explanation. I do feel better, and I'll sleep easy now...at least until the night before I go to pick up my new ride.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:08 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

You will not see any difference because there isn't any difference to see. Different in name only. The key to the paint code being the same indicates that they are interchangeable and you could use that touchup paint on either. The paint codes only change when the color changes.

Here's a good photo of a Crystal Red Stingray shot by forum member mpuzach.

I think the word "tintcoat" was added to explain why those colors cost $1000.00 extra.

You can use your 2010 touch up paint on your 2014
Old 07-11-2013, 05:14 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZL-1

This is a good description. The formulation of the Crystal red changed in calendar year 2011 when the tsunami hit Japan. The sole factory in Onahama that makes the Xirilic flake used to form the metallic was wiped out. That forced the CRM paint on to constraint as it was the sole sorce for that pigment. Lots of work went in to reformulating the paint to be an exact visual match with an altered formulation.

The paint on both the current generation Corvette and the next generation Stingray Corvette are metallic. The tint coat simply describes the process used to arrive at the final color.

All Corvettes use a primer, a base color coat and a clear coat. Some of these clear coats are conventional and some of them are tinted based on the desired final color. The tint is nothing more than a pigment added to conventional clear coat to alter the shade of the final color. Both the 2013 and the 2014 Crystal Red are Metallics and both are tint coat colors. I don't know why the name changed for 2014 but the color is the same.
So now I'm confused. One quote says it is base, clear, tint clear and the other post says base, tint clear only. Which is correct?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Torch 97
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 CRM. I believe it is primer, base color coat, tinted clearcoat, and clear clearcoat. I think there is an extra coat hence the upcharge.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:51 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Torch 97
I have a 2008 CRM. I believe it is primer, base color coat, tinted clearcoat, and clear clearcoat. I think there is an extra coat hence the upcharge.
So now we have a third recipe.
This one must be a nightmare to fix minor body repairs.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:27 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Torch 97
Actually, it isn't. EVERY Corvette is painted the same way at the factory. Primer coat, color coat and clear coat. Some of the clear coats are tinted, some are not. No Corvettes have an additional clear as part of the standard paint process.

The up charge is to clean out the clear coat paint robot and switch it over to the tinted clear.

Feel free to search my posts in C6 general on the paint process if you would like a little more in depth explanation about the factory paint process.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Dracla
Racer

Actually, it isn't. EVERY Corvette is painted the same way at the factory. Primer coat, color coat and clear coat. Some of the clear coats are tinted, some are not. No Corvettes have an additional clear as part of the standard paint process.

The up charge is to clean out the clear coat paint robot and switch it over to the tinted clear.

Feel free to search my posts in C6 general on the paint process if you would like a little more in depth explanation about the factory paint process.
Now it sounds like some of the cars differ in color (at least a little) from the other cars of the "same" color.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Fantastic level of detail in your explanation...as always, thanks for the info you bring.

S.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:52 PM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

A bit OT, but how is the inferno orange done?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:44 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
The same GM paint code - WA505Q. See link below.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcod...915635&rows=50

Edit: Although "not confirmed" in comments column.
CRT/CRM can be found on most GM cars. You'd think they would have tweaked it to fit the lines of this new release.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

I have no connections at the BG plant like Talon does. But when you go to buy paint, many of the tint coat colors are called "tri coat". I always assumed it to mean base coat, tint coat, clear coat, the extra $1000.00 being for the extra step.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:20 AM
PGSJOE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 12GS is 89U Claret Red metallic(red jewel tintcoat)
they charge extra because its a Three Stage paint system while most other colors are two stage...base and clear. The three stage paint system has a basecoat, 2nd stage binder that is 80% clear and the metal flake and followed finally the 3rd stage the clearcoat. The "tintcoat" part is the 2nd stage and as stated adds tramendous depth to the color profile. GM has a pearl white that is a 3 stage also.

Get notified of new replies

To Crystal Red Tintcoat vs Crystal Red Metallic

Old 07-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

They look different to me. And if one has only a clear and the other has a tinted clear to bring in the base color, then either the base color is different or the tinted clear would not be necessary.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM
PGSJOE
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They get the depth of color by taking all the flake and putting it in the Middle stage, and yes it does have a very dark red - almost flat basecoat - not the same as other meallic reds where the pigment and metal flake are combined in the first stage. If any of you have a red jewel tint/crystal red/red claret metallic and you put it next to another color like the metallic reds there is a night and day difference, but twenty feet seperation and its hard to pick up. you get next to each car and the hue and depth are amazingly evident.
SIKKENS (paint company) makes a 2 stage that is very very close but ppg/dupont/spies-hecker/matrix/glasurit do not. if you have to get any paint match work done keep your eyes peeled and body shops doing repairs may try to blend in an off color because its very hard to prpoerly match that color.
Call ANY auto paint supply store and give them WA505Q and you will get a stage 1 base, Stage 2 binder and have to clear coat over it all.
oh and its freakin expensive too.

Last edited by PGSJOE; 07-12-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:54 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by PGSJOE
My 12GS is 89U Claret Red metallic(red jewel tintcoat)
they charge extra because its a Three Stage paint system while most other colors are two stage...base and clear. The three stage paint system has a basecoat, 2nd stage binder that is 80% clear and the metal flake and followed finally the 3rd stage the clearcoat. The "tintcoat" part is the 2nd stage and as stated adds tramendous depth to the color profile. GM has a pearl white that is a 3 stage also.
To state this again, the assembly plant does NOT do any 3 stage paint for the Corvette, period. EVERY Corvette that leaves the assembly plant has been painted with a primer, a base color coat and a clear coat. Some of the clear coats are tinted, some are conventional clear but NONE are 3 stage with an additional clear. While this is how many body shops will arrive at a color match for these colors, it is not how the assembly plant paints them.

Quick Reply: Crystal Red Tintcoat vs Crystal Red Metallic