Sponsored by:

Manual transmission with parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Default Manual transmission with parking brake

It's a pretty common move when starting on a steep hill with a manual transmission to use the parking brake to hold the car while releasing the clutch so that the car doesn't coast backwards too far.

But I have zero experience driving a manual transmission with an electronic parking brake, like the C7 apparently has.

With an automatic transmission and electronic parking brake, some cars will automatically release the parking brake when you start accelerating. You don't have to press the parking brake button to release it.

Does anyone know if that's the way it will work on the C7 with a manual transmission? Because if it does, I'm thinking a steep hill-start will be even easier with an electronic parking brake.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

It's super easy.

You just set the parking brake and it holds automatically until it senses the car moving forwards. Then, it releases for you.

Really great for being on steep hills.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

I don't think I've ever used a parking brake for that but yeah, what Sin City said. I'm pretty sure it worked like that in the CTS-V I drove but that was awhile ago.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:02 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001conv
It's a pretty common move when starting on a steep hill with a manual transmission to use the parking brake to hold the car while releasing the clutch so that the car doesn't coast backwards too far.
It is also pretty common to heal and toe while starting on an incline. You use the toe on your right foot to hold the brakes, feather out the clutch with your left foot, and give it gas with the heal of your right foot.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
It's super easy.

You just set the parking brake and it holds automatically until it senses the car moving forwards. Then, it releases for you.

Well, I hope you are correct, but I can tell you for sure that it does NOT work that way in my 2013 Volt with the electric parking brake. Not that it necessarily matters, but it has the same control handle as a C7.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

I'm used to the old way of holding with the pull up (between seat and tunnel or on tunnel) parking brake and releasing as you let out the clutch. I'm going to miss that :-(
Old 07-08-2013, 12:42 PM
RPOZ51
Race Director

Location: For the strength of the pack is the wolf . . . . . . and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
It is also pretty common to heal and toe while starting on an incline. You use the toe on your right foot to hold the brakes, feather out the clutch with your left foot, and give it gas with the heal of your right foot.
This is what I do.

I have never used the hand brake on a hill.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Axial
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just start letting go of the clutch and then swap the right foot over from brake to gas when I feel it grab. Backwards coast is only a few inches at most, usually nothing perceptible at all.

Using the parking brake to accomplish this task just seems like more work.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:07 PM
donkeyman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPOZ51
This is what I do.

I have never used the hand brake on a hill.
Not possible for me with my smaller feet. So I pull the hand brake as well before taking off to prevent rollback.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 PM
donkeyman
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday while returning to my parked manual transmission car, I noticed that I FORGOT to pull the park brake or leave it in gear. I do this at least once a year just because I am distracted or forgetful. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed off at myself for doing it (again). I was luck nobody leaned on the car and got it rolling the slow slope in the parking lot.

With the electric park braking system (in GM's design), is there a way for the electric brakes to automatically engage as soon as the ignition is turned off, etc.? This will prevent stupid accidental mistakes like the one I had yesterday.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I never used a parking brake for steep hills, instead I focus 100% on my shift and realize that I cannot afford to take it for granted.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM
indyjack18
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
It's super easy.

I'm lost why would the Ebrake release if senses car moving forward? Wouldn't that defeat its purpose? Or does car know it is being driven instead of rolling down a hill.

I live in Indiana......very flat! We just release clutch while removing foot off brake and then apply the go juice.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by indyjack18
I'm lost why would the Ebrake release if senses car moving forward? Wouldn't that defeat its purpose? Or does car know it is being driven instead of rolling down a hill.

I live in Indiana......very flat! We just release clutch while removing foot off brake and then apply the go juice.
If it works this way, it should only disengage if throttle is being applied and not simply moving forward.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:45 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

Automatically releases on my manual Audi A4 as long as seat belt is fastened.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Matt26
Pro

I hope the E-brake disengages automatically.

I have used both the e-brake and heel toe method when starting up hills and the e-brake method is easier IMO.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:15 PM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Here you go:

Automatic EPB Release
The EPB will automatically release if the vehicle is running, placed into gear, and an attempt is made to drive away. Avoid rapid acceleration when the EPB is applied, to preserve parking brake lining life.

The EPB can also be used to prevent roll back for vehicles with a manual transmission taking off on a hill. When no roll back is desired, an applied EPB will allow both feet to be used for the clutch and accelerator pedals in preparation for starting the vehicle moving in the intended direction. In this case, there is no need to push the switch to release the EPB.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Matt26
Pro

Originally Posted by GM'er
Here you go:
Awesome news GM'er!

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual transmission with parking brake

Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by GM'er
Here you go:
Automatic EPB Release
The EPB will automatically release if the vehicle is running, placed into gear, and an attempt is made to drive away. Avoid rapid acceleration when the EPB is applied, to preserve parking brake lining life.

The EPB can also be used to prevent roll back for vehicles with a manual transmission taking off on a hill. When no roll back is desired, an applied EPB will allow both feet to be used for the clutch and accelerator pedals in preparation for starting the vehicle moving in the intended direction. In this case, there is no need to push the switch to release the EPB.
Is that from the C7 Owners Manual??? If so, where can we get a PDF version???
Old 07-08-2013, 02:21 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Axial
I just start letting go of the clutch and then swap the right foot over from brake to gas when I feel it grab. Backwards coast is only a few inches at most, usually nothing perceptible at all.

Using the parking brake to accomplish this task just seems like more work.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:25 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

You don't need an electronic parking brake for that feature. My M3 had it, and had a manual parking brake. It activated when depressing the clutch pedal before releasing the brakes. It held the car for 2 seconds, or when car started moving, whichever occurred first. That's the best method, but at least the C7 has a way to deal with that, if desired.

Quick Reply: Manual transmission with parking brake