Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 11:54 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default How long before TopGear gets a run at the C7

Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone has any idea how long after the car is released that we can see it on TopGear (british one, American TopGear is terrible).

I enjoy their reviews and the jokes about the cars they are testing. Even if I don't agree with some of their reviews, you still get a good walk around regardless.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:26 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Someone would have to ship them their car. Europe isn't going to get them before us.

If they wanted to pay for the shipping and my plane tickets and expenses, I'd totally loan them my car. LOL
Old 06-30-2013, 12:31 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I don't care what they think. Their show is entertainment and to me, not fact based. Click and Clack were much better, and they were entertaining.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:40 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

New series starts tonight in the UK.

I'm sure they will, they came here for the Viper and the ZR1 I believe.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:40 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Top gear UK? 2 years.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:49 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Top gear UK? 2 years.
No way. It will be tested in the next series which will air in either fall or winter.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:58 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know about that. Some cars they're pretty quick on and I'd say MOST cars they're slow as hell to get their hands on.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by AORoads
I don't care what they think. Their show is entertainment and to me, not fact based. Click and Clack were much better, and they were entertaining.
Well yes, they have to be entertaining. They do exaggerate things, but I still enjoy it. But I would not say they were completely fictional.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:04 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BMadden
No way. It will be tested in the next series which will air in either fall or winter.

5th Gear? You are right. Top gear? I say 2 years.

They have already filmed the next series of Top Gear.

They won't do it in the next series because GM doesn't want it tested.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:27 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

They won't do it in the next series because GM doesn't want it tested.
Why do you say that?
Old 07-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

GM would do well to get Top Gear a first-year car. The review will haunt YouTube for years, so get it in while everything is at its freshest relative to the competition.

We already know the lads will joke about the leaf springs and the plastic butt; let them have those harmless jabs. But they'll likely say flattering if not effusive things about the interior, and The Stig will post a gonzo lap time, and that will sell some cars overseas.

Honestly GM can't NOT have a car on Top Gear and expect to be taken seriously, given the way previous Corvettes have been judged. And if it doesn't go well, there's a chance to fix it with the next Zed Ah Won.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:51 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Why do you say that?
Nothing to gain, everything to lose.

I can see 5th gear as they are more of a real car show. Topgear is more entertainment with clever snide remarks and a general prejudice (well, actual disdain) against American cars.

What TG did to Telsa was a complete fabrication -- and Tesla took them to task about it.

BTW: I think they will like the Vette because it has a manual, is inexpensive, reasonably fast, handles well enough, and makes the right noises. But, overall they will say it's not ready for prime time, cheaply made compared to European cars, the dash is overly fussy, the HUD silly as is the hidden compartment behind the TFT, the colors and details vulgar, the driver control switch options too limiting, the TFT screen graphics too "playstation", and it's not designed for the Euro market (no steering wheel on the right side). Oh, and they won't like the styling as it's not "pretty".

It's a guess and I'm sure they will say it's a better car than before but it won't be good enough for them IMO. I can't see what's to gain from GM's perspective.

Last edited by Sin City; 07-03-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:33 AM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
GM would do well to get Top Gear a first-year car. The review will haunt YouTube for years, so get it in while everything is at its freshest relative to the competition.

We already know the lads will joke about the leaf springs and the plastic butt; let them have those harmless jabs. But they'll likely say flattering if not effusive things about the interior, and The Stig will post a gonzo lap time, and that will sell some cars overseas.

Honestly GM can't NOT have a car on Top Gear and expect to be taken seriously, given the way previous Corvettes have been judged. And if it doesn't go well, there's a chance to fix it with the next Zed Ah Won.
Bottom line: If you got something special you wanna get it out there exposed and raved. If it's just a little bit more than the same then you obfuscate, delay, and spin to your base.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 AM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Top Gear is broadcast all over the world with an absolutely MASSIVE audience and GM is taking this generation of the Corvette global. It would be very foolish for GM not to get this car in Jeremy's hands to advertise it to the world as soon as possible after the car is available.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:07 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm wondering if anyone at any of these recent events pushed the rear with their hand to see if it flexes like the C6 did on Top Gear.

I suspect the TG boys will like it but will continue to make fun of it nonetheless. They will go on about the Corvette's 60th birthday and how the C7 is the culmination of all those previous cars and yet it is still the "Plastic Fantastic'.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:04 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I'm wondering if anyone at any of these recent events pushed the rear with their hand to see if it flexes like the C6 did on Top Gear.

I suspect the TG boys will like it but will continue to make fun of it nonetheless. They will go on about the Corvette's 60th birthday and how the C7 is the culmination of all those previous cars and yet it is still the "Plastic Fantastic'.
I was wondering the same thing. I have a feeling that it does not flex anymore but have not confirmed. I am sure somebody here will try it.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:14 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Nothing to gain, everything to lose.
Hardly. You're absolutely right that TG is mostly entertainment and car ****, less actual information and reviews. The part that gets serious is Stig's driving. As someone else pointed out: TG is one of the most watched show on television, literally in the world. That's coverage GM's own advertising organization couldn't match.

GM would gain eyeballs. No one pays any attention to the "objective" (note the quotes) reviews the guys give cars. They do pay attention to what the Stig is able to accomplish with it.

What TG did to Telsa was a complete fabrication -- and Tesla took them to task about it.
...annnnd lost. Someone forgot to tell Mr. Musk that TG was entertainment. He took it way too seriously. GM knows better and they won't do the same thing.

Get notified of new replies

To How long before TopGear gets a run at the C7

Old 07-03-2013, 10:22 AM
TomcatMF
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As I recall they lambasted the base C6, but they loved the Z06 and ZR1 variants. Jeremy couldn't get enough of all the power that they had. (Remember the 5th gear standing start test?)

We will probably see the C7 review on the fall season.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:28 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Sin City does have a point. And I think his suggestion of what the review will be will be close to theirs. At the same time, JVP makes a good point on the advertising perspective.

But like the Tesla, you don't want completely bad press. I agree it is entertainment, but what TG to the Tesla was wrong. And I totally side with Musk on flipping out about it. The thing is, even if TG was playing around, electric cars are still in the infant stage and don't need any more bad press. The joke was easily being seen as true information. So I could see why GM would be hesitant since they have no idea what TG will say. However, does GM have to give them a car in order for them to review it? We really don't think they will get their hands one any other way?

TomcatMF is right. Jeremy loved the Z06 and the ZR1. He loved how you could put it in 5th and get to full speed without any issues. But he didn't like the plastic body on any of them. But who cares if it is plastic. I would prefer it. Its lighter and if someone happens to bump or tap the back end, you don't have to take it to the shop to get the fender fixed from a dent.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

I just don't see what they have to gain. Everyone in the US will already know about this car before TG does something.

When it comes to the Europeans, maybe the sales will go from 50 to 75. Seriously...if you want Euro's to like this car, have Evo test it and like it. Then you may have something. Just make sure you send them a manual because unless its a POS gearbox they will like it.

I don't know what we are sending to Europe but I know they are all Z51's. Hopefully some manual boxes in there.

I can see them giving TG the new Z06 because it's not a daily driver kind a thing. It's unique, brutal, and probably exciting enough for them to overlook their British snobbishness for just a few minutes.

5 gear.. yes. Top Gear... I don't think so.

Last edited by Sin City; 07-04-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Quick Reply: How long before TopGear gets a run at the C7