The reasons behind the 2014 Stingray Premiere Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 02:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm a bit on the fence about this "model..." Someone who knows, help me out.

Has F-car, V-car or P-car ever done something like this: new model or new gen., intros car, before production starts-bring out dealer showroom model with some special pieces on it?

It's a real question. I can understand dealers wanting something for the floor. I can understand loading something up w. all the options so everyone who walks in can see the options on at least one car. I just wonder about the need for a special model with a limited run that may or may not serve as an actual floor model/display model for very long, or at all if sold quickly.

So, my questions remain: has any other car mfr. of a comparable type of car done this before? If so, who? Thanks!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Dklean2003
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by live2drive
http://www.corvetteconti.com/blog/?p=19028 . Scroll down. I actually like the 5YU Torque wheels.

How much extra are these wheels? Do they offer them in aluminum????
Old 06-29-2013, 02:25 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I

So, my questions remain: has any other car mfr. of a comparable type of car done this before? If so, who? Thanks!
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...erent-special/
Old 06-29-2013, 02:31 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Why would anyone object to this? Because this is the C7 forum, where whiny little girls go to post.

I swear, as I type this, the reveal was 24 HOURS AGO, and some of the geniuses in this thread claim that GM changed how the Premiere Edition was going to be handled (in 24 HOURS) because of an outcry by a few keyboard warriors.

Some of you guys need a HOBBY or something....REALLY.

Jimmy

It's all good fun, and exchanging diverse opinions via a worldwide forum is an interesting exercise.

Sure sometimes we're a bit off the deep end but there is also a great amount of knowledge and long term owner experience shared here. Couple that with the fresh opinions of those newer to the game and the passion that is the Corvette ownership experience and you have all manner of thoughts, opinions and emotion revealed.

As to needing a Hobby - this is our Hobbby

Last edited by michaelinmech; 06-29-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:34 PM
LouB57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would anyone object to this? Because this is the C7 forum, where whiny little girls go to post.

I swear, as I type this, the reveal was 24 HOURS AGO, and some of the geniuses in this thread claim that GM changed how the Premiere Edition was going to be handled (in 24 HOURS) because of an outcry by a few keyboard warriors.

Some of you guys need a HOBBY or something....REALLY.

Jimmy
Exactly!!! BADABING

Name:  dO9zsbP.gif
Views: 8
Size:  1.94 MB
Old 06-29-2013, 02:39 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
It's all good fun, and exchanging diverse opinions via a worldwide forum is an interesting exercise.

Sure sometimes we're a bit off the deep end but there is also a great amount of knowledge and long term owner experience shared here. Couple that with the fresh opinions of those newer to the game and the passion that is the Corvette ownership experience and you have all manner of thoughts, opinions and emotion revealed.

*** to needing a Hobby - this is our Hobbby
I hear you....but this section (C7 sub forum) has been steeped in "Glass half empty" for so long that it get's tiresome to read some of the inane and downright silly posts. Who would think that a blue Corvette with luggage would cause such an uproar. Someone started a thread (thankfully locked now) about "Harland" Charles and how this whole "Premiere Edition" thing was a joke. I pointed out the OP that he got "Harland" back by getting his freakin' name WRONG.

In the end, there's too much "Ready, Fire, Aim"

Jimmy
Old 06-29-2013, 02:43 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I hear you....but this section (C7 sub forum) has been steeped in "Glass half empty" for so long that it get's tiresome to read some of the inane and downright silly posts. Who would think that a blue Corvette with luggage would cause such an uproar. Someone started a thread (thankfully locked now) about "Harland" Charles and how this whole "Premiere Edition" thing was a joke. I pointed out the OP that he got "Harland" back by getting his freakin' name WRONG.

In the end, there's too much "Ready, Fire, Aim"

Jimmy

The "aiming" could use some focus, and the "Firing" some patience
Old 06-29-2013, 02:44 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Dklean2003
How much extra are these wheels? Do they offer them in aluminum????
By aluminum, do you mean not chromed ? I ask as all the wheels are pressure cast aluminum. Some painted, some painted with a machined facing, others chrome. No polished ................ Sadly

Last edited by MikeyTX; 06-29-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Added to post
Old 06-29-2013, 02:50 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
The "aiming" could use some focus, and the "Firing" some patience
Amen to that. It's like my dad used to tell me: "Never make a 100% decision based on 50% fact".

Anyhow, I think it is smart to have a dedicated "showroom" C7 to show potential customers. The Corvette (contrary to what some believe) DOES need new blood (customers) to go along with all of us that are longtime supporters. The longtime/oldtime guys will buy it sight unseen, to get new folks, there needs to be a car sitting there to look at.

Jimmy

PS. And yes (to all the negative folks), I am sure some dealers will sell the car immediately and not use the car for it's intended purpose, that's not GM's fault.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I'm curious if these cars will be Z51s, non-Z51s, or a mixture of both. Does anyone here know? What about transmissions?
Actually, I know they are all Z51 cars with Mag Ride. The Torque accessory wheel only fits on the Z51.

Dave
Old 06-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Dave@Ciocca

I'm a bit on the fence about this "model..." Someone who knows, help me out.

Has F-car, V-car or P-car ever done something like this: new model or new gen., intros car, before production starts-bring out dealer showroom model with some special pieces on it?

It's a real question. I can understand dealers wanting something for the floor. I can understand loading something up w. all the options so everyone who walks in can see the options on at least one car. I just wonder about the need for a special model with a limited run that may or may not serve as an actual floor model/display model for very long, or at all if sold quickly.

Yes, the 2013 Dodge Viper Launch Edition. I can't say for sure about the other companies.

Dave
Old 06-29-2013, 04:12 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Thanks, and I note from that article that "groovy" attached that BMW M3 and Porsche may have done something similar. The only thing not known is, unlike the Viper and C7, if it was done at launch time of a new gen/model. Doing it during a model run is not quite unusual for many makes and models.

So, this is not that unusual and C7 is not the first to do it. I hope they stay as dealer showroom cars because maybe I'll get a ride in a C7 before Memorial Day. 2014.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:33 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

.......... I hope they stay as dealer showroom cars because maybe I'll get a ride in a C7 before Memorial Day. 2014.
What happens on Memorial Day, 2014 ?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Dave@Ciocca

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
What happens on Memorial Day, 2014 ?
I think that was sarcasm saying he wouldn't be able to get one till then.

Of course if he wanted to get one earlier he could send me an email...
Old 06-29-2013, 04:50 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

You may be right ...............
Old 06-29-2013, 04:52 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
So, what you are saying, is that a person who is paying a "premier' price for the $60,000-$70,000 C7 he has on order, expecting to be the first on his block to drive a C7, is going to have to wait for his car so cars can be built to sit on dealers showrooms.

From what you say, the dealers can sell their special allotment("Premier edition") C7 as soon as it arrives at his dealership. Thus someone that walks in from the street will buy a C7 ahead of those who have deposits down and are paying a premium price will have to wait for their C7 to be built.

You did say "......in the hopes that the dealers will leave them on display in their showrooms.....".
If the dealer does sell his "Premier edition" I'm sure the buyer would pay a premium price. Much more than the person who ordered and had to wait!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:54 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by speedlink
If the dealer does sell his "Premier edition" I'm sure the buyer would pay a premium price. Much more than the person who ordered and had to wait!
Not necessarily so. It has been mentioned in another thread that one of our forum dealers has his for sale at $1,500 off according to the post.

Get notified of new replies

To The reasons behind the 2014 Stingray Premiere Edition

Old 06-29-2013, 05:29 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
GM hasn't changed their tune. This was the plan from the get go and this strategy of making cars available for display was talked about almost a year ago.

I love how some people want to just talk down the car hoping it won't sell so that eventually if sale slow down they can say they were right.

We're taking orders on a daily basis and it hasn't showed any sign of slowing down. This car is a success before it even hits the lots and the fact that GM was concerned that there would be none in the showroom for people to actually see shows forward thinking on their part.

Dave
Old 06-29-2013, 05:30 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

GM hasn't changed their tune. This was the plan from the get go and this strategy of making cars available for display was talked about almost a year ago.

I love how some people want to just talk down the car hoping it won't sell so that eventually if sale slow down they can say they were right.

We're taking orders on a daily basis and it hasn't showed any sign of slowing down. This car is a success before it even hits the lots and the fact that GM was concerned that there would be none in the showroom for people to actually see shows forward thinking on their part.

Dave
I hope they do the same for the Vert!
Old 06-29-2013, 05:32 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Dave
Dave, does this car have the Competition seat, or the GT seat?

Quick Reply: The reasons behind the 2014 Stingray Premiere Edition