Sponsored by:

Online Configuration- ETA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:48 PM
c7junkie
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Online Configuration- ETA?

Surely someone out there has some inside information when online configuration will be available on the chevrolet website.

I'm shocked that a marketing push of this size, with orders already inflight and we still can't go online and do a visual build... YES, I know about the extremely limited one that has been out there for ages where you can see basic colors and 4 view angles... I am sure all would agree that is not sufficient.

If anyone has heard anything about an ETA that would be great.

Thanks all
Old 06-19-2013, 08:27 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This really bugs me. It's an obvious FLAW in Chevy's marketing plan.

There is simply no excuse to not have a configurator up and running now as people try to decide how to place their order.

It makes me wonder what other kind of issues they can't get right.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
This really bugs me. It's an obvious FLAW in Chevy's marketing plan.

There is simply no excuse to not have a configurator up and running now as people try to decide how to place their order.

It makes me wonder what other kind of issues they can't get right.

There you go again professing all the errors and shortcomings of the Chevy marketing department.

Did you even consider the possibility that they know what they are doing - that they might just employ some of the best and brightest marketing pros both in house and contracted ad agencies?

I'll bet a nickle that they know how to sell a car . . . . or millions of them even
Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

No.. Read enough on this forum and you will find out they are all dummies. They can not design a car correctly. Can not put enough horsepower in it, can not sell it correctly and all their dealers are rude and greedy...
Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
There you go again professing all the errors and shortcomings of the Chevy marketing department.

Did you even consider the possibility that they know what they are doing - that they might just employ some of the best and brightest marketing pros both in house and contracted ad agencies?

I'll bet a nickle that they know how to sell a car . . . . or millions of them even
I'm not a chevy basher by any measure, but what would their marketing plan be for not having an online build/price tool? Technical reasons maybe?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

I have to agree that GM could do better with it's Corvette web site and online configuration.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by evilmonkey
I'm not a chevy basher by any measure, but what would their marketing plan be for not having an online build/price tool? Technical reasons maybe?

Of course I have no inside info, so I would just be guessing like all the rest of us. . . . . My guess would be a 2 fold reason: Firstly, they still have not worked out all the production kinks and may be wary about unveiling a detailed Build Tool, if changes are still possible. Secondly, they are still trying to sell a good many 2013 models in inventory and perhaps are wanting to keep their tools focused there ???
Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

It is a little unusual, all I can say is they MUST have a plan. This is a huge deal...so they must know what they are doing. Its probably going to be BAM! Everything launches at once so they get the most PR and hype in a concentrated time period.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=BPhillyc7;1584199388]It is a little unusual, all I can say is they MUST have a plan. This is a huge deal...so they must know what they are doing. Its probably going to be BAM! Everything launches at once so they get the most PR and hype in a concentrated time period.[/QUOTE]

^ Makes sense - overwhelm the buying public once they have actual cars !!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 PM
aforand
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree they sure could of done a better job making this a little easier in seeing just how this vs that option affects the car, interior wise. I mean when we bought our MINI a few years ago it was a breeze and fun to click on a key and see the changes.

Also those of us who have placed orders (I know no one bent our arms) there are bound to be a small percentage of us who will be disappointed when the car arrives to find out that this option would of done this and so on. Might even make some people walk away from it. Especially considering that the average sale might be @ $62K.

My order is in and just from following this forum I have changed my order twice!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM
CJJ
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have an order in and it is frustrating no doubt. I would like to make a few changes and see how it looks before order is complete. Oh well.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 PM
CJJ
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

66k is my total and never even seen it. Come on GM help us out.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Default It's Not GM's But It Works Great/Easy To Use

Go here first:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...7-pricing.html

Then scroll down until you see this. Click on it. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...heet-rev-c.xls

If you have Excel on your computer, this makes option/price calculations/changing anything a breeze. Thank you "MKenM" for developing and sharing this.

Have only a guess, based on previous years, GM's C7 "Build and Price" will be available about mid-July.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by evilmonkey
Poor planning.

What possible ADVANTAGE would there be to not have it now?

Answer: NONE.

What disadvantage: People unwilling to commit to orders until they can figure out what they want to do or buy.

Last edited by Sin City; 06-19-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

You guys are spoiled lol, at least pricing has been announced for you, here in Canada we don't even have that yet.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
You guys are spoiled
No kidding!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by Achmed
You guys are spoiled lol, at least pricing has been announced for you, here in Canada we don't even have that yet.
I wouldn't say spoiled, Tadge wants to compete with Porsche? he's raised our expectations I'd say, time to step it up with a Corvette web site and car configurator equal to Porsche.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...r-is-the-chief

Last edited by DREAMERAK; 06-20-2013 at 01:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Online Configuration- ETA?

Old 06-20-2013, 02:20 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I've been impatiently waiting for online configuration as well. I'm in for a vert so I have time, but just the same.

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Of course I have no inside info, so I would just be guessing like all the rest of us. . . . . My guess would be a 2 fold reason: Firstly, they still have not worked out all the production kinks and may be wary about unveiling a detailed Build Tool, if changes are still possible. Secondly, they are still trying to sell a good many 2013 models in inventory and perhaps are wanting to keep their tools focused there ???
Since they have already built the last C6, the current online configuration is useless.

Originally Posted by elegant
Go here first:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...7-pricing.html

Then scroll down until you see this. Click on it. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...heet-rev-c.xls

If you have Excel on your computer, this makes option/price calculations/changing anything a breeze. Thank you "MKenM" for developing and sharing this.

Have only a guess, based on previous years, GM's C7 "Build and Price" will be available about mid-July.
This is a great excel program, but it won't let you compare visually this color with those wheels, with that interior.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Kchrpm
Instructor

Received 176 Likes on 44 Posts

Does anyone really think they're going to have trouble selling every single 2014 model they can build? The people that are serious buyers right now are going to go to a Chevy dealer and make things happen. The people that need an online configurator to decide if they're going to buy a car are not the people pre-ordering one before they even start production.

If color combination is really what you're concerned with, well an online tool that just does an "official" photoshop isn't going to do you much better than what you can easily find elsewhere on the internet.

People really should calm down with the silly proclamations of failure, doom and gloom based on things that in reality barely mean anything. That goes for all things on the internet, though, not just Corvettes.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kchrpm
Does anyone really think they're going to have trouble selling every single 2014 model they can build? The people that are serious buyers right now are going to go to a Chevy dealer and make things happen. The people that need an online configurator to decide if they're going to buy a car are not the people pre-ordering one before they even start production.

If color combination is really what you're concerned with, well an online tool that just does an "official" photoshop isn't going to do you much better than what you can easily find elsewhere on the internet.

People really should calm down with the silly proclamations of failure, doom and gloom based on things that in reality barely mean anything. That goes for all things on the internet, though, not just Corvettes.
No one says it's "doom and gloom". It's just poor planning.

There is some law about not stating the obvious?

Why should someone have to photoshop their car before they order it?

That to me is really silly -- and inexcusable because it could have easily been avoided.

Either they don't care, can't do it, or giving their customers proper ordering information isn't a high priority for them.

This is STRIKE TWO. Strike one was releasing the seat color information brochure with the WRONG names on the photographs, which continues to confuse people today. Kalahari was called Brownstone and visa versa.

This is the biggest auto maker in the world? They can't even get the first ordering information out correctly?

Their customers deserve better.

Quick Reply: Online Configuration- ETA?