Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on the Z51 bubble

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

For what you get, it seems like a great deal to me. I always see value in the performance options. Add the Mag ride and you have the best performing C7 (available now). The Z51 package for the C6 was cheaper, but gave you far less (I had it on my 2008).

The argument about "I won't track it, so I don't need it" doesn't hold up for me. Why buy a sports car if you don't need performance? I'm always surprised by how many people will step up to pay for options that give a different look, but shy away from spending for performance. $2000 for chrome wheels, $2000 for visible carbon fiber roof? I'll spend my $4600 on Z51 and Mag ride. Yes, the C7 Z51 looks a bit different due to the wheels and rear spoiler, but that's just a bonus.

Why did the C6 Z06 sales drop off so much when the Grand Sport and ZR1 came out? Because most of the people who bought the Z06 did it to have top dog status. Once it was not top dog, or you could get the same look for less, all of the posers took their money elsewhere.

So posers, buy it or don't, it won't matter. For those of us who use the car as it was intended, there is not much choice.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by harley2
Just curious what difference it makes on pothole roads with the Z51 or Non Z51?

I've ordered it (Z51)!

Slightly more compliant suspension on non-Z51 (at least of prior models; I'm assuming will be similar on C7 with its lack of anti-roll bar on the rear for example). And slightly more sidewall on the tires. Both can help if you have to navigate **** poor roads, the former from just a comfort standpoint, the latter from comfort and bending rims etc.

That's about the only scenario I can think of which it would make sense for me. Fortunatetly, like I said, I have good roads to drive on. Plus I track my cars from time to time, so I'd get the Z51.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

If you are going to drive the car anywhere near its performance max or you take your car to the track then you would want to have the Z51 package. However there is no doubt that a very high percentage of Z51 cars will go to old farts that spend more time waxing their car then driving it. When the Z06 and ZR1 models come out you will see the same progression. That is also the ideal time to pick up a low mileage Z51 garage gueen for a good price.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 AM
live2drive
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

I am pondering this choice as well. The Stingray, with automatic transmission, will be a daily driver and will not see any part of a track. The Z51 is overkill for what I need. I want a comfortable, "softer" ride rather than the firmer sport suspension. The magnetic shocks would be useful, but unlike the C6, this option is restricted to the Z51 package. I don't like the spoiler as it distracts from the exotic lines of the car. Also, if I want a color combination such as Yellow with black wheels, then the Z51 package must be ordered.

So I am left with the following choices:

- Order a base Stingray and replace the silver wheels with black aftermarkets if desired. No spoiler problem and probably the most economical option.

- Add the Z51 package just to get MSRC. Black wheels are available; adds $5,090 to the price. Unfortunately, I am stuck with the spoiler.

- Wait until a later model year when MSRC is offered as an option on all Stingrays. This would require a lot of patience. I want this car now!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Mike S
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Go for the Z-51 for all it includes, but most importantly add the MSRC. Both my C-5 and C-6 had MSRC. I've driven non-MSRC Corvettes and the ride/performance is completely different and much less satisfying.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Slightly more compliant suspension on non-Z51 (at least of prior models; I'm assuming will be similar on C7 with its lack of anti-roll bar on the rear for example). And slightly more sidewall on the tires. Both can help if you have to navigate **** poor roads, the former from just a comfort standpoint, the latter from comfort and bending rims etc.

That's about the only scenario I can think of which it would make sense for me. Fortunatetly, like I said, I have good roads to drive on. Plus I track my cars from time to time, so I'd get the Z51.
The most compliant suspension is the Z51 with mag ride in the touring setting. really bad roads.

next is the base C7. bad roads.

next is the Z51. normal roads

finally is the Z51 with Mag ride in sport setting. smooth roads.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
As far as resale goes... the C6 Z51 wasn't as intensive so I can see someone maybe blowing it off. The C7 package includes more... and more importantly, has the spoiler and wheels. Generally when buyers can see the difference it ends up adding value.

Regardless... for me the brakes, wheels, dry sump, and other coolers make it worth it. Even if you never track I have never heard anyone complain that their brakes are too good. And the extra cooling, etc. will certainly help the life span of the other components.

The front rotors are the two piece design too.
While the rotors are of a composite design, I don't think they fit the normal definition of a two piece as the center section is not removable from the outer section in the field.

While the Z51 package has additional coolers, the base C7 with the A6 has a transmission cooler, just like the cooler used on the Z51 with the A6..
Old 06-25-2013, 11:22 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=JoesC5;1584243017]While the rotors are of a composite design, I don't think they fit the normal definition of a two piece as the center section is not removable from the outer section in the field.[/QUOTE]

In the woods? . . . can you remove the center section in the woods???
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 AM
c5vette73
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 90 Posts

Ok, let's be honest.

Yes, the Z51 package is a good value to some, but how often is having the Z51 package going to make a difference while driving your C7 as a daily driver? I just don't understand.

As a matter of fact, the base C7 may be just as quick 0-60, if that's important to someone with a C7 daily driver.

If you are not tracking the car, please give me 1 good reason to spend more money on something I will not make any use of.

Please don't mention the Z51 wheels as this is a preference item and not everyone likes them. I especially think the standard five spoke wheels look better on a torch red C7.

The spoiler can be dealer installed or added as an afternarket item. Some Z51 buyers actually wish they could opt out of the spoiler.

Resale value is not a reason either. The C7 will re-sell just fine without Z51 (not that I or many others care about re-sale). We probably have some money to spare.

I'm not saying the Z51 package is a bad purchase, but the OP's question was "sell me on Z51". Try selling the Z51 to someone who doesn't track the car and doesn't particularly care aboutthe Z51 wheels.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The most compliant suspension is the Z51 with mag ride in the touring setting. really bad roads.

next is the base C7. bad roads.

next is the Z51. normal roads

finally is the Z51 with Mag ride in sport setting. smooth roads.
Agreed!!!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:23 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c5vette73
Ok, let's be honest.

Yes, the Z51 package is a good value to some, but how often is having the Z51 package going to make a difference while driving your C7 as a daily driver? I just don't understand.

As a matter of fact, the base C7 may be just as quick 0-60, if that's important to someone with a C7 daily driver.

If you are not tracking the car, please give me 1 good reason to spend more money on something I will not make any use of.

Please don't mention the Z51 wheels as this is a preference item and not everyone likes them. I especially think the standard five spoke wheels look better on a torch red C7.

The spoiler can be dealer installed or added as an afternarket item. Some Z51 buyers actually wish they could opt out of the spoiler.

Resale value is not a reason either. The C7 will re-sell just fine without Z51 (not that I or many others care about re-sale). We probably have some money to spare.

I'm not saying the Z51 package is a bad purchase, but the OP's question was "sell me on Z51". Try selling the Z51 to someone who doesn't track the car and doesn't particularly care aboutthe Z51 wheels.
It sounds like the Z51 is not for you. For me on the other hand, the appearance of the Z51 wheels, rotors and spoiler alone would justify the package even without the performance upgrades. I couldn't add those items from the aftermarket for $2,800. To each his own
Old 06-25-2013, 12:26 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

I think Sajonf is right. Either people want it or not. If somebody has to be "sold" on it, they probably don't really want it, and should not get it.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Ok, let's be honest.

I can understand your point but I have a different approach.

Why would you buy one of the best sports cars in the world and not want it to be with the best performance package?

I can see the reasoning if Chevy made a cheaper V6 version where it was all about looks while performance wasn't the reason for buying it. But, to spend this much money and then leave out the last performance bits seems rather wasteful to me. By wasteful I mean you can't reach the car's true potential.

The bigger brakes, bigger wheels, better high speed spoiler and ESPECIALLY the Ediff are well worth the money for daily driving. Only the dry sump IMO is really useful if you plan to do tracking.

Plus, the option of magnaride on top of the Z51 package makes daily driving much more manageable depending on road conditions.

For me the choice was clear since day one: Z51 + magnaride = the only way to buy this car.

Last edited by Sin City; 06-25-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:50 PM
c5vette73
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
I can understand your point but I have a different approach.

Why would you buy one of the best sports cars in the world and not want it to be with the best performance package?

I can see the reasoning if Chevy made a cheaper V6 version where it was all about looks while performance wasn't the reason for buying it. But, to spend this much money and then leave out the last performance bits seems rather wasteful to me. By wasteful I mean you can't reach the car's true potential.

The bigger brakes, bigger wheels, better high speed spoiler and ESPECIALLY the Ediff are well worth the money for daily driving. Only the dry sump IMO is really useful if you plan to do tracking.

Plus, the option of magnaride on top of the Z51 package makes daily driving much more manageable depending on road conditions.

For me the choice was clear since day one: Z51 + magnaride = the only way to buy this car.
Not sure exactly how the bigger wheels and brake rotors and ediff make my daily driving experience any better.

You can make a case for why buy a C7 Z51 if there will be a Z06 or Z07 or ZR1.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default doo dads

One post mentions a Z51 'Aero Package'. What body parts change with Z51? Save the different spoiler of course.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
One post mentions a Z51 'Aero Package'. What body parts change with Z51? Save the different spoiler of course.
Not sure of the final production configuration, but here is picture of a test mule:

Old 06-25-2013, 01:52 PM
mnmthoele
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

For most people the Z51 is not necessarily a needed option. But again most people do not need a Z06 or Zr1. I personally would get the Z51 without the MSRC, because I would get some type of coil overs for the car once available. But I would track the car. If you are just Sunday driving the car, or even daily driving it, you do not need it. Heck I would rather have a car without any extra options. That is why I love my C5 Z06, no power passenger seat, hud or cd changer. Just what you need to drive fast when needed.

Get notified of new replies

To on the Z51 bubble

Old 06-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Outlaw7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

When I sold my C6 Z51, the Z51 option added ZERO value to my car.

That option and all others will be 100% depreciated when you drive it off the lot.

Sorry to break it to you guys.
It depends to whom you sell it. When I sold my C5 a couple of months ago, one big reason the buyer gave for the purchase was the Z51 package. Plus the package on the C5 was far less extensive than the C6 and C7. After selling the C5, I bought the silver 09 C6, because it had the Z51 option.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

People who buy Corvettes without the Z51 package should be shown the way over to the Buick sales lot because that is where they belong.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:33 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

Ok, let's be honest.

You purchase a Corvette for its performance. There is an enormous amount of performance value locked in that $2800 bubble. Skipping the Z51 package is like buying a really nice set of golf clubs but playing golf with the crappiest ***** you can dig out of the pond. It's just a stupid time to save money.

Quick Reply: on the Z51 bubble