Sponsored by:

Classy or Sporty

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Turbobndt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zhopper05
Have you considered the Brownstone? It may be a good compromise that would look great in a 2LT.
I agree that the Brownstone would look good in a 2LT. I would have ordered it instead of Kalahari. Unfortunately it's only available in 3LT.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:34 PM
vetrnz06
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

as much as i like being around my car(torch red 2004 c5z) i like being in it and driving it even more. it has the torch red/black interior mix and is colorful and i like the contrast.my first c5z was all black in and out and i liked it but the interior on my TR Z sold me. so i sold one and bought the other eventually. much more colorful and i enjoy being in the car. go to the shows and shop and compare for sure!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:54 PM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
Rut Roh...we are staying at the Courtyard Marriot at:

Courtyard Bloomington Normal
310A Greenbriar Drive
Normal, Illinois 61761
USA

That going to be close?
You may want to change your reservation. It is about an hour drive from Normal IL to Champaign IL. There are many good hotels in the Champaign / Urbana area.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:29 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Its an aluminum car with a 'plastic' body.

I'd drive it home in the snow if I think I could make it.

What I do not want is to pay for it to sit and depreciate in the garage while I cannot drive it. March gets me close to driveable weather.

I guess you don't know much about how aluminum corrodes in the presence of road salt. Let me help you. When you get that salt dust into all the chassis crevices and get a little moisture in there your car will never be the same....white corrosion products will form immediately....on a brand new car to bootwhat a shame. Best of luck to you
Old 06-23-2013, 11:34 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by sussafrass
Trick question since neither is possible with this car. Maybe a nice gold chain would help?
Let me guess why you visited here: Mustang owner? Import owner?

Generally speaking, Mustang owners consider Corvette owners the gold chain set. Corvette owners consider Porsche owners the gold chain set. Porsche owners consider Ferrari owners the gold chain set

Last edited by ZL-1; 06-23-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I guess you don't know much about how aluminum corrodes in the presence of road salt. Let me help you. When you get that salt dust into all the chassis crevices and get a little moisture in there your car will never be the same....white corrosion products will form immediately....on a brand new car to bootwhat a shame. Best of luck to you

And any coating will stop that. Otherwise all the aluminum suspension parts that have been on cars for years would be failing.

I'm plenty familiar with all of this. The pics you see from GM are the nice shiny cast pieces because they look great in pics, but they are all coated in some fashion to stop contact and corrosion.

That's like people who worry about road salt and rust on steel. When was the last time you saw a car built since 04/05 that has any rust on it? The clear coats have changed so much unless a spot was missed in the coating process you never see paint/rust damage anymore.

I would be more worried about driving the car in snow doing physical damage to the nose/low bits than I would about exposure to anything else.

The 150 laps it will get at Grattan over the course of summer will be far harder than driving in a little road salt.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Rut Roh...we are staying at the Courtyard Marriot at:

Courtyard Bloomington Normal
310A Greenbriar Drive
Normal, Illinois 61761
USA

That going to be close?
Champaign is only slightly closer to MI than Bloomington. If you do stay near Bloomington you'll have 50 miles to drive the next morning. But who knows, Champaign may be all booked up because of the show?
Old 06-24-2013, 12:13 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
Champaign is only slightly closer to MI than Bloomington. If you do stay near Bloomington you'll have 50 miles to drive the next morning. But who knows, Champaign may be all booked up because of the show?
Yeah I booked the wrong city.

I had the right city 2 nights ago and wondered why Marriot removed the restriction today on using points for rooms when I booked tonight.

Have to see if I can get it changed tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:36 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

And any coating will stop that. Otherwise all the aluminum suspension parts that have been on cars for years would be failing.

I'm plenty familiar with all of this. The pics you see from GM are the nice shiny cast pieces because they look great in pics, but they are all coated in some fashion to stop contact and corrosion.

That's like people who worry about road salt and rust on steel. When was the last time you saw a car built since 04/05 that has any rust on it? The clear coats have changed so much unless a spot was missed in the coating process you never see paint/rust damage anymore.

I would be more worried about driving the car in snow doing physical damage to the nose/low bits than I would about exposure to anything else.

The 150 laps it will get at Grattan over the course of summer will be far harder than driving in a little road salt.

The chassis forgings and castings in aluminum are not coated, but the aluminum oxide that will form quickly actually protects the underlying metal...so, no catastrophic failure occurs, as in rusted steel components. The Al2O3 just looks bad. But, hey. I'm not going to argue with you here....you are my neighbor and we can discuss it someday over a brewski...I'll buy!

Jerry
33 years experience in Materials Engineering (have seen it all)
Retired and loving it!

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 06-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 PM
janicept
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm partial to yellow. I bought it because it looked way more like a sports car than the silver Porsche I had been looking at when they were parked next to each other at the dealer.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:46 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I like yellow. I drove over 500 miles to buy an original yellow 1980.

However, I do like the blue on this vette as well.

There are things you can do to make a sporty car classy looking. IMO, putting chromes wheels on helps a great deal. Black wheels look cool, but it makes me think racer and black wheels on bright colors always make me think lotus elise. Maybe because when I first got into cars, those were the bright colored cars with black wheels that I knew.

When people start blacking things out (tail lights, headlights, all the windows, remove the emblems, etc) the car transforms into a racing show off car. Where as the chrome accents make it look classy. Of course you can go overboard with the chrome and then you step into a classification that will only grant you mockery. haha.

Quick Reply: Classy or Sporty