C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you plan on using the C7 front plate holder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 11:53 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
I dislike the front plate. But it will happen in every state before too long. It brings in too much income from traffic cams and ticketing.
Here in Los Angeles they don't enforce traffic cams anymore. They still send out the tickets, but won't do anything if you don't admit your guilt by responding to them.

But the front-plate laws are staying because the parking enforcement gets to write revenue bills... I mean tickets... to those who don't want to run a front plate.

My friends who are cops also say that it gives them a reason to pull over cars that look suspicious.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

I dislike the front plate. But it will happen in every state before too long. It brings in too much income from traffic cams and ticketing.
Is this because the ticket person or camera can not see the rear plate? Cameras are used on the rear plate because so many states do not have front plates. I will tell you this Pennsylvania will always have one plate. Until cars are id'd by computer chips read from any angle..
Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 AM
TheLex
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you see the video in the OP, the front plate holder goes over the ugly chrome strip. I'm hoping a vendor will come out with a replacement grill that has LED strips kind of like in the drawing. IMO that would look pretty cool.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by TheLex
If you see the video in the OP, the front plate holder goes over the ugly chrome strip. I'm hoping a vendor will come out with a replacement grill that has LED strips kind of like in the drawing. IMO that would look pretty cool.

There already is a replacement strip available in black from GM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:16 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

As already stated the rear plate is used for stop light cameras, at least all that I have seen here in Texas, all photos are taken from the rear. Might be different in other states but I doubt it considering the same company operates in different states.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 AM
jdoelger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

A must have in Oregon. Been pulled over many times by State Troopers for not having the plate on my C6. Thank you to GM for a better bracket
Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Is this because the ticket person or camera can not see the rear plate? Cameras are used on the rear plate because so many states do not have front plates. I will tell you this Pennsylvania will always have one plate. Until cars are id'd by computer chips read from any angle..
From what I am told by relatives of cops is the front plate allows for another angle on the car to be identified. There are many cases, where the back plate is blurry and the front helped with the identification. I really don't believe this too much, but who am I to argue; I don't look at those images.

In addition, the cars can be identified by cops as you are approaching them instead of waiting until you pass. Its a lot easier to read an approaching plate than one that is running away from you.

Third, as many have stated, many cars are not designed to have a front plate. And it often uglifies the car to many owners. They know people are going to skip putting it on so its another way to make money since the people who are running the state can't seem to organize their income/spending. Which is another reason why it won't go away. The ones that would make the decision, make the money from it.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by TheLex

Do we know what the part of the headlight that is right above the projector light is for? We have the LED turn single lights, the glow strip, the projector light, and what? Sorry for the thread steal.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Yes
Old 06-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

From what I am told by relatives of cops is the front plate allows for another angle on the car to be identified. There are many cases, where the back plate is blurry and the front helped with the identification. I really don't believe this too much, but who am I to argue; I don't look at those images.

In addition, the cars can be identified by cops as you are approaching them instead of waiting until you pass. Its a lot easier to read an approaching plate than one that is running away from you.

Third, as many have stated, many cars are not designed to have a front plate. And it often uglifies the car to many owners. They know people are going to skip putting it on so its another way to make money since the people who are running the state can't seem to organize their income/spending. Which is another reason why it won't go away. The ones that would make the decision, make the money from it.

All good points. It is not going to happen in Pa however. What you will have is a chip that emits a signal and identifies your car from any angle. A simple hand held device, or not hand held, will ID any car for the police. It is a shame they will miss their front plate tickets.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:52 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Bill17601
All good points. It is not going to happen in Pa however. What you will have is a chip that emits a signal and identifies your car from any angle. A simple hand held device, or not hand held, will ID any car for the police. It is a shame they will miss their front plate tickets.
Whoa, if cell phone tracking isn't enough, lets make sure they can't drive anywhere without being tracked.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:50 AM
greengo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa, if cell phone tracking isn't enough, lets make sure they can't drive anywhere without being tracked.
Just trust nObama.....he is looking out for all of us since we are incapable of doing it
Old 07-01-2013, 11:08 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Yes..it looks great and I use a non factory solution on my present c6.

I use my vette as a daily driver and don't want to return to tickets on the windshield when I return.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

Not required here in GA so ...... NO! Thinking about my prestige tag and what it will be
Old 07-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Foy Toy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Default front license plate at NCM 60th anniversary

while going through the autograph line after the 6oth anniversary banquet, i asked Dave Tatman, Harland Charles and John Fitzpatrick why there were no front license plate mounts on any of the seven C7 cars on display at the NCM boulevard thursday.
the glib response is that they are ugly!
well as a resident of one of the 31 states that require front plates and perhaps the very customer that the c7 is supposed to be sold to, i was a little insulted.
having already bought 6 new corvettes since 1990 and having lived in wisconsin that whole time , i have always run two plates.
my 2 c6's both have aftermarket brackets and work fine.

well, just as i said, seemed a little condescending.

Ed Foy
fond du lac, wi.
foytoy 2012 torch red grand sport convertible
foytoy 2 2005 mag red coupe
Old 07-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I live in Minnesota which requires the front plate.
I am using the aftermarket removable plate holder on my current C6, and plan on using the front plate option on my future C7, the no plate hassle is not worth the benefit of the improved look for me.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
ospreycorvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is such a waste of aluminum and other resources to require a front plate. Not required in Florida, love living here.
Was required in Wisconsin where I used to live, now I drive all year round and no storage.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you plan on using the C7 front plate holder?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by greengo
Just trust nObama.....he is looking out for all of us since we are incapable of doing it
I sincerely hope you're kidding. Obama doesn't care if you have a front plate or vehicle tracking...
Old 07-01-2013, 11:34 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Foy Toy
while going through the autograph line after the 6oth anniversary banquet, i asked Dave Tatman, Harland Charles and John Fitzpatrick why there were no front license plate mounts on any of the seven C7 cars on display at the NCM boulevard thursday.
the glib response is that they are ugly!
well as a resident of one of the 31 states that require front plates and perhaps the very customer that the c7 is supposed to be sold to, i was a little insulted.
having already bought 6 new corvettes since 1990 and having lived in wisconsin that whole time , i have always run two plates.
my 2 c6's both have aftermarket brackets and work fine.

well, just as i said, seemed a little condescending.

Ed Foy
fond du lac, wi.
foytoy 2012 torch red grand sport convertible
foytoy 2 2005 mag red coupe
Just like Tadge telling us our C6's are out dated .............
Old 07-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Wild Bob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never run a front plate in CA, until I get a fixit tic, then I put it on just long enough for sign-off, then off it comes...

Quick Reply: Do you plan on using the C7 front plate holder?