Sponsored by:

Allocation question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:11 PM
N929rr
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allocation question

My dealer has told me they have been allocated 32 coupes for 2014. I have it in writing that I am to receive the 3rd car. Just found out today that they did not put my order in by accident but was told that it doesn't matter as they control when the allotment is built. They said the first 2 cars are already in build status but all the other cars they did put in the system are still in beginning status. They submitted my order today and still said my car will be the 3rd to arrive to the dealership. Does this sound accurate or are they BSing me?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:17 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Frankly, only they really know. Could be truthful - could be BS. I do have hard time with "they forgot to put my order in by accident" WTF? I'll bet you can't forget to pay, by accident . . . . .
Old 06-21-2013, 06:29 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer decides which order to match against allocation. Every retail sale order has priority #1. What your dealer has told you is accurate.

Laborsmith
Old 06-21-2013, 06:39 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by N929rr
My dealer has told me they have been allocated 32 coupes for 2014. I have it in writing that I am to receive the 3rd car. Just found out today that they did not put my order in by accident but was told that it doesn't matter as they control when the allotment is built. They said the first 2 cars are already in build status but all the other cars they did put in the system are still in beginning status. They submitted my order today and still said my car will be the 3rd to arrive to the dealership. Does this sound accurate or are they BSing me?
Well it sounds like your dealer got 2 units allocated during the first consensus and submitted two orders. Your order wheather in the system now or a couple weeks from now will just sit at 1100 (Order Submitted) until they get their next round of allocations, if what they told you is true your order would be applied to the next allocation they get. The next round of allocations will be sometime in July and as long as your order is in the system and your dealer has it as priority 1 you should be in good shape. Again no more orders will be processed till July and if yours is picked up delivery more than likely would be late Sept or sometime in Oct.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

In the car biz, BS and the truth are often one and the same.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:29 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

I have noticed that.

Laborsmith
Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sin City
In the car biz, BS and the truth are often one and the same.
lol
Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,107 Likes on 6,185 Posts

Based on their total initial allocation of 32 coupes, 2 for the first consensus sounds correct. Next consensus is early July, so as long as your order is in the system and the first priority by the dealer, then it will go toward their next allocation which they may or may not get in the next consensus. Starting in July, consensus will occur twice each month.

They should be able to give you your order number as soon as they input your order.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM
giovanbayle
Cruising

does anyone know how many days do I have to wait to have my order #?
Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Based on their total initial allocation of 32 coupes, 2 for the first consensus sounds correct. Next consensus is early July, so as long as your order is in the system and the first priority by the dealer, then it will go toward their next allocation which they may or may not get in the next consensus. Starting in July, consensus will occur twice each month.

They should be able to give you your order number as soon as they input your order.
You would think that the allocations would be spread out evenly over the six months. 32 allocations equals five cars a month. 250 allocations equal 40 cars a month.

Seems that would keep it equal between the small dealer that is only going to get 6 cars(one a month) over the first six months vs the large dealer who is going to get 500 cars(80 per month) over the first six months.

just a thought.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by giovanbayle
does anyone know how many days do I have to wait to have my order #?
There is no specific number of days.

My way of doing this: when I have the order number the dealer has my deposit. The order can be put in and the order number generated while you are sitting at your salesperson's desk. Dealers used to doing retail sale order have no problem but those not used to doing retail sold orders like to wait until they are doing the regular consensus.

Nothing wrong with either way, I just want the order number before I leave the premises IF I am leaving a deposit behind.

Laborsmith
Old 06-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,107 Likes on 6,185 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
You would think that the allocations would be spread out evenly over the six months. 32 allocations equals five cars a month. 250 allocations equal 40 cars a month.

Seems that would keep it equal between the small dealer that is only going to get 6 cars(one a month) over the first six months vs the large dealer who is going to get 500 cars(80 per month) over the first six months.

just a thought.
Two problems with your logic:

One, the factory will not startup at full capacity. Therefore, initial quantities will be lower.

Two, all ~900 eligible dealers got at least one allocation in the first consensus. For many of these dealers, that will be their only allocation for the first 6-9 months. As a result of this, the larger dealers got a proportionately smaller allocation.

First consensus was late May, there are none in June (normally there would be two). Next consensus is early July.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JoesC5

just a thought.
A legitimate question, and one I will try to answer.

One: Allocations are based on court defendable factors. The process of which dealer gets which vehicles has been subject to litigation and the biggest manufacturers (such as Honda and Chevrolet) have, in the past, been found wanting (ie: liable for doing wrong).

Two: A legally defensible decision is to match allocation against a standard that a reasonable person would accept as legitimate, so if a dealer has sold a lot of a particular vehicle in the past gets allocated a number that reflects that success, there is a good chance a reasonable person will accept that the manufacturer acted in good faith.

Three, and most important: Corvette will do their best to fulfill retail sold orders as quickly as possible. That means a small dealers retail sold orders will be made (as long as there is allocation) at the same time the big dealers retail sold orders are being made.

This is my quick and dirty explanation of how allocation works. The thing to keep in mind is allocation is only in question when a vehicle is in high demand (C7?) but only subject to litigation when in high demand!

And I consider this to be a good question to ask.

Laborsmith
Old 06-24-2013, 03:06 PM
laborsmith
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Two problems with your logic:

One, the factory will not startup at full capacity. Therefore, initial quantities will be lower.

Two, all ~900 eligible dealers got at least one allocation in the first consensus. For many of these dealers, that will be their only allocation for the first 6-9 months. As a result of this, the larger dealers got a proportionately smaller allocation.

First consensus was late May, there are none in June (normally there would be two). Next consensus is early July.
Good answer, but allow me to disagree with the "For many of these dealers" portion. The initial guide number is based on 2012 retail sales (perhaps 15,000 and likely less) and the C6 had over 37,000 sales and one would think the C7 sales will be close to the first year C6s, so, I suspect all dealers allowed to sell Corvettes will get more allocation and in short order.

Another thing to keep in mind: only two thousand (my prediction) Chevy dealers will be allocated even one C7. Until the C6, every Chevrolet dealer was allocated at least one Corvette every model year. This changed in anticipation of the 2005 model year Corvette, which appeared in the dealers showrooms in fall 2004. I wonder if that was the model year that introduced the C6 Corvette?

Laborsmith

Get notified of new replies

To Allocation question

Quick Reply: Allocation question