Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 sec 1/4 1.03G 3.8-60 and VIR in 2.51.7 60-0 107Ft good numbers

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:58 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Now he is gonna tell you how any of his 25 Baller cars could drop yours like a bag of dirt and his wife in a base C7 will smoke you. Just watch, it's coming!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
OK, so on Planet Genius, where you are from, cars that are faster 0-60 are "slow."
You do understand the concept of traction and how it relates to short times and launching a car, right? You also understand that while a car may achieve ~60 mph within less than 100', the quarter mile encompasses an additional 1220', correct? So while it does not surprise me that GM claimed the GS would be quicker to 60 mph, I would guess that the additional weight, tire drag, etc. would overcome any gearing advantages over a non-GS C6. And also note the link above where MT got a comparible result to GM's 0-60 claims for the Grand Sport.
Bull$#!t. Any sentient being knows GM has inflated its numbers in the past.
Perhaps you'd like to point out when GM has inflated Corvette performance claims. See my above post that speaks to this.
Again, a debating champion on display. What point are you even trying to make here?

I drive a Grand Sport because it's the best-looking Corvette ever made, and the top comes off. And with about 150 more RWHP than a Z06, it sure as hell isn't a "slow" car.
I'm laughing at you, nothing more. Don't be offended.
And since when do Grand Sports have "about 150 more RWHP" than Z06's? Oh wait...your heavily modified and probably supercharged or turbo'd Grand Sport makes more power than a stock Z06? Wow...that's great. I'm very impressed. And that has great relevance to this discussion.

Maybe you should keep trying the personal insults, they've worked so well for you thus far. What's next in your limited repertoire...the "I-know-you-are-but-what-am-I" line?
S.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:27 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Man, I'm thinking you gents should all get in the shower together and have a soap dropping contest.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Now he is gonna tell you how any of his 25 Baller cars could drop yours like a bag of dirt and his wife in a base C7 will smoke you. Just watch, it's coming!
Oh Sam, you're so pathetic. But admittedly, you've come so far from just a couple of years ago and your puke green LX with 4-lug wheels. Just think, now you're on the cusp of buying a C7 Z-variant (as long as it comes with an automatic). Life is good (as long as you aren't planning on racing any C7's, but you don't go to the track, so no worries there).
S.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:34 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Oh Sam, you're so pathetic. But admittedly, you've come so far from just a couple of years ago and your puke green LX with 4-lug wheels. Just think, now you're on the cusp of buying a C7 Z-variant (as long as it comes with an automatic). Life is good (as long as you aren't planning on racing any C7's, but you don't go to the track, so no worries there).
S.
You forgot the 03 Cobra.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:38 AM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmumd48
Now heres Chris Harris Driving a F type against a Porsche and an Aston ( Porsche doesn't win )
It depends on what you mean by "win". Chris states that if you delve deep into the driving experience, the 911 is the best car in the test. He picked the Jag only because it had better "showroom appeal".
Old 06-21-2013, 12:39 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sam90lx
You forgot the 03 Cobra.
That's great, Sam. You have any pictures of it?
But I predict within the next few months, when you are too cowardly to insult actual C7 owners, you won't be posting much in this section.

So enjoy your now-limited stay or plan on changing your tune.
S.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
It is funny that some are now questioning the results on the basis of whether the car is a "standard" car or not. Bottom line is the C7 Z51 is faster on a road course than the C6 GS, the ZL1 and is comparable to the Z06. Call it the standard car or the Z51 package car... whatever floats your boat. The performance is incredibly high given the price of the car. We are all lucky it is going to be available to us.

The rest of the argument is semantics.
The results are GREAT
Old 06-21-2013, 01:53 AM
M_C7
Burning Brakes

Im excited to get the C7 out this fall when its cool and try to put in a good 1/4 #. Mine has Z51 and NPP and is an Auto. I would be happy to pull off a 11.9 but we will see. I run at Zmax in Charlotte NC which is state of the art but has questionable prep on street car days. So I think a 11.9 will be possible with a good 60ft. There is a 1/8th near me that has perfect prep so my goal there im thinking should be 8.2ish@89 based on a 12 sec 1/4

As for comparing it to a GS vette...ive ran a few of them and they usually would come up in the higher 12s at 114ish in just an average any day of the week run. so I hope the C7 is a bit better

Did they ever confirm if these #s were done on a Manual C7? Auto has LC or not? The Auto 2013 C6 doesnt right? I know this GS used it against me but im not sure how well it works

Last edited by M_C7; 06-21-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:15 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow. This thread blew up fast. I got 3 pages in.

Anyway, I'm not at all disappointed with the times. I was expecting 11.7-11.8 for the 1/4 mile, but I'm sure that the numbers will be better than advertised.

Either way, I doubt I'm taking my C7 to the strip. I don't care about drag racing.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:39 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good god a new model outperforms an outgoing one and suddenly it's a shiz storm?!? Has common sense really flown the coup here?!? Geez kids get your panties out of a bunch...

Instead, lets just focus on real life, unbiased comparisons, and lets think of some original ones shall we? For instance, how would a 2009 z51, bone stock with super sport tires, fair against this z51? Maybe with the better tires, the grandsports added size/weight wouldnt help.

It's a comparison we wont see with everyone so wrapped up in z51 vs GS, but thought provoking none the less. I'm sure the c7 would whip the c6 thoroughly, but with the more equal power to weights, and even tires, it might at least be interesting to watch.

Call me crazy, and I like the widebody looks better, but even with the introduction of the GS, am I the only one that thinks it would have been nice to see them keep making the z51? I know financially it wouldn't have made sense, but I'm sure some would have loved the suspension upgrades without the added bulk of the giant fenders/wheels/tires.

Anybody have anything else constructive to add?
Old 06-21-2013, 02:53 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Now it seems like GM has made a better sports car with handling and feel that you need for confidence for good laptimes. I am so happy that they did not listen to "Dragster buyers" demanding fatter tires, more power, and generally brainless way to trying to make car faster("gt500 way"). Now it is more "European" and I like it Price just might be too much for me(compared to 997 turbos and Z06s here)
Old 06-21-2013, 02:59 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Raitzi
Now it seems like GM has made a better sports car with handling and feel that you need for confidence for good laptimes. I am so happy that they did not listen to "Dragster buyers" demanding fatter tires, more power, and generally brainless way to trying to make car faster("gt500 way"). Now it is more "European" and I like it Price just might be too much for me(compared to 997 turbos and Z06s here)
You might be able to get one imported rather than buying one directly there. I don't know what the import/export fees are in Finland, but I know that the C7 will be roughly 170-180% the cost there than it is here.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:02 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
On the drag strip or the track or both?
Drag strip because of the ability of a better weight transfer at launch due to a softer suspension. On a road course,the Z51 equipped car will dust a non Z51 car.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:09 AM
Raitzi
Racer

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
You might be able to get one imported rather than buying one directly there. I don't know what the import/export fees are in Finland, but I know that the C7 will be roughly 170-180% the cost there than it is here.
Yes. I will have do some calculations on costs from different sources. But for US cars I have wait that light(yellow rear indicators) and other conversion kits arrive so that. But if value of your dollar sinks to 1.4 $/€, US import may be the best option. 2nd option is to import from Germany a eurospec car. At this point I only know that in Germany the price is 69k€ for our base car which includes z51, MRC(euro tune) and likely 2lt. There will be at least 40k€ taxes from import. 2008 z06 in plates here costs about 74k€ (compared to that German price without tax is high)
Old 06-21-2013, 03:13 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Yes. I will have do some calculations on costs from different sources. But for US cars I have wait that light(yellow rear indicators) and other conversion kits arrive so that. But if value of your dollar sinks to 1.4 $/€, US import may be the best option. 2nd option is to import from Germany a eurospec car. At this point I only know that in Germany the price is 69k€ for our base car which includes z51, MRC(euro tune) and likely 2lt. There will be at least 40k€ taxes from import. 2008 z06 in plates here costs about 74k€ (compared to that German price without tax is high)
I know that this car is a really good deal, but those taxes make it sound like a rip off. I hope you get the car you really want!
Old 06-21-2013, 03:54 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

dupe

Last edited by redzone; 06-21-2013 at 04:10 AM. Reason: dupe

Get notified of new replies

To 12 sec 1/4 1.03G 3.8-60 and VIR in 2.51.7 60-0 107Ft good numbers

Old 06-21-2013, 04:00 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gthal
The GM number is real but you need to compare GM test driver numbers with GM test driver numbers because they will get more from the car. I still believe that the C7 will allow the mag guys to be closer to the GM test driver numbers because of the technology (which makes it easier to extract performance) than previous generation cars.
Having said that, Mero ran a 2:54.5 in a GS and 2:50 in a Z06.

Even when you add 3 to 4 seconds to the GM times (which is what you might guess C&D will achieve given they aren't professionals or as familiar with the car), the C7 is still in the top 10 to 15 cars ever tested at VIR and performing at a level higher than MUCH more expensive cars.
I don't think so. GM ran a 2.52xx in a Camaro ZL1 and C&D ran a 2.57xx. Both cars have the same Gen 3 MSRC/PTM,but the 5 sec gap remained.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:27 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Don't know much about all the Euro requirements, but I do know even the US C7 has yellow turn indicators (finally. I hate cars with red indicators because in traffic you can't tell if they are pumping the brakes or trying to switch lanes - not that anyone uses indicators over here anyway).

OK, sorry for the rant. Point is, perhaps the conversion to Euro spec would be less for the C7 than previous versions, because I think GM is finally serious about competing there with the likes of Porsche and others.

-T

Last edited by Trackaholic; 06-21-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:50 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

For those looking for VIR lap time comparisons, the following numbers are from the bash video, all internal GM testing (likely that means Mero at the wheel for all):

C6 GS with Goodyear Gen1 = 2.58
C6 GS with Goodyear Gen2 = 2.54.5
C6 Z06 with Goodyear Gen2 = 2.50
C6 ZR1 with Mich PS2 = 2.48
C6 ZR1 with Mich PSC = 2.45

C7 Z51 with Mich PSS = 2.51.8

Also, looking at C&D lightning lap results we see a ~1 second difference between Sport Cups and PS2's for the ZR1. We also see a ~3 second difference between the Z06/Z07 and the ZR1 with PSC.

The point of all this is to try and figure out how much the tire impacts the times, because it is pretty easy to go out and put whatever tire you want on the car.

So, GY Gen1 is baseline
GY Gen2 = -3.5 seconds over Gen1
M PS2 = about the same as GY Gen2

I am estimating this because there is a two second gap between Z06 on GY and ZR1 on PS2, but a 3 second gap between Z06 and ZR1 when both are on PSCs (from lightning lap results). So, if there is a roughly 3 second gap between the cars for C&D on the same tires, that means a 2 second gap for GM would indicate the tires aren't significantly different. Hence, GY Gen2 is roughly equivalent to PS2

Finally, PSC = -3 seconds over PS2

If we assume that the PSS on the C7 are somewhere between the PSC and PS2 (lets say 1 second better than PS2 based on other bash info where they compared a Z06 with PS2s to the Z06 with C7 tires), then we have:

PSS = -1 second over PS2 or GY Gen2 tires.

So, subtracting 1 second from the Z06 and GS times above:

GS on PSS (estimate) 2:53.5
C7 on PSS (actual) 2:51.8
Z06 on PSS (estimate) 2:49.0

So, the C7 falls between the other two, but is closer to the GS performance than the Z06 performance assuming similar tires on all cars.

-T

Quick Reply: 12 sec 1/4 1.03G 3.8-60 and VIR in 2.51.7 60-0 107Ft good numbers