Sponsored by:

Is a c7 a good match for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001conv
I'd suggest getting the non-castrated model.
Lol, me too !
Thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 01:58 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OnPoint
You feel low to the ground and you get to enjoy a nice handling chassis.

As far as posture - you can set/adjust the seat and seat back and steering wheel to just about whatever position you like.
Thanks
Regarding tracking the car, is there any type of insurance to cover it?
And would I void the warranty by tracking the vehicle ?
Thanks again,
Old 06-20-2013, 02:12 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by ieem
Thanks
Regarding tracking the car, is there any type of insurance to cover it?
And would I void the warranty by tracking the vehicle ?
Thanks again,
You won't void the warranty by tracking it. Most auto insurance companies exclude tracking from coverage. However, you can purchase track day insurance. In fact the Corvette Museum sells track day insurance - as do others.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:24 PM
ieem
Intermediate

You won't void the warranty by tracking it. Most auto insurance companies exclude tracking from coverage. However, you can purchase track day insurance. In fact the Corvette Museum sells track day insurance - as do others.
Is a track insurance paid right before racing ? or is it similar to a regular insurance ?
Thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 02:26 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Is a track insurance paid right before racing ? or is it similar to a regular insurance ?
Thanks
It's just for the event you'll be running in, so you get it right before - or fairly close to when you'll be going.

And it only covers you for that event, and expires on its own after that.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 PM
ieem
Intermediate

It's just for the event you'll be running in, so you get it right before - or fairly close to when you'll be going.

And it only covers you for that event, and expires on its own after that.
Aha !
Thanks again,and sorry for the multiple questions
Old 06-20-2013, 02:31 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Aha !
No problem at all. If you get a new C7 Corvette and take it to the track (both of which I highly recommend), get hooked up with a group that is going to the track, and best of all, one that has one or more instructor qualified drivers.

Spending time on the track with an instructor in your car when you first start out is not only safer, but you'll learn much, much faster (and avoid getting mentally anchored to a whole bunch of bad ideas/habits).
Old 06-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Dave Hopkins
Intermediate

Aha !
No reason to apologize for multiple questions. I think you have answered your main question: Buy the manual.

I learned to drive stick late (22) and it was because the 2003 Cobra (a supercharged beast that is still awesome today) only came in manual. After learning on it, I have only driven manuals up until I traded in my Scion TC coupe for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I now have that and my 2000 Viper ACR. I don't find driving a manual problematic at all; even in traffic. I love having total control over my driving. I enjoy having to be an active participant behind the wheel. Since you mention that you enjoy manual driving, I see absolutely no reason to get the automatic. Most people that buy automatic, in my opinion, are people who either don't like manual shifting, don't know how, or there are health reasons (leg problems) that prevent clutch engagement.

It sounds like you are in a very fortunate position and enjoy the car. You have, what I like to call, "good problems" facing you right now. Cheers
Old 06-20-2013, 02:55 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dave Hopkins
No reason to apologize for multiple questions. I think you have answered your main question: Buy the manual.

I learned to drive stick late (22) and it was because the 2003 Cobra (a supercharged beast that is still awesome today) only came in manual. After learning on it, I have only driven manuals up until I traded in my Scion TC coupe for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I now have that and my 2000 Viper ACR. I don't find driving a manual problematic at all; even in traffic. I love having total control over my driving. I enjoy having to be an active participant behind the wheel. Since you mention that you enjoy manual driving, I see absolutely no reason to get the automatic. Most people that buy automatic, in my opinion, are people who either don't like manual shifting, don't know how, or there are health reasons (leg problems) that prevent clutch engagement.

It sounds like you are in a very fortunate position and enjoy the car. You have, what I like to call, "good problems" facing you right now. Cheers
Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Stingray23
I was not being sarcastic. I like driving a manual in traffic because it keeps me involved and on my toes. An automatic to me is boring. period.

Hence why you said what you said. The Corvette has never been a smooth all around performer. What I mean by that is that its not a BMW or other luxury car. Its way more engaging and has personality from the loud exhaust[ to the click of the tranny to the shaking of the engine at rest. I love that about the vette. The OP is looking for a more engaging experience. The manual will help with that.
Not to be picky, but what loud exhaust is that if the OP buys a base Stingray w/o NPP or doesn't put on an aftermarket exhaust?

OP, I think you should wait until the car actually hits the showroom floor and you can actually test drive one. Yes, it will take some time for that to happen----maybe as late as next Spring. But to make a $50K+ mistake probably won't do miracles for your wallet. Or your psyche.

Pictures of show cars, walking around one at a car show, all are nice things to do. Riding and driving in one is a different story. While I think the car will be great, not all great cars are perfect for everyone---be it automatic or manual transmission.

Plus, the longer you wait (and stay on CF), the more actual, owner experience you will read about. Which means, you will be even more informed even before your first drive in one.

Just a suggestion; it's your money and potentially, your car.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 PM
ieem
Intermediate

No problem at all. If you get a new C7 Corvette and take it to the track (both of which I highly recommend), get hooked up with a group that is going to the track, and best of all, one that has one or more instructor qualified drivers.

Spending time on the track with an instructor in your car when you first start out is not only safer, but you'll learn much, much faster (and avoid getting mentally anchored to a whole bunch of bad ideas/habits).
Thank you
Old 06-20-2013, 02:57 PM
oldgoat99
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Castrated Corvettes are faster.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:58 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AORoads
Not to be picky, but what loud exhaust is that if the OP buys a base Stingray w/o NPP or doesn't put on an aftermarket exhaust?

OP, I think you should wait until the car actually hits the showroom floor and you can actually test drive one. Yes, it will take some time for that to happen----maybe as late as next Spring. But to make a $50K+ mistake probably won't do miracles for your wallet. Or your psyche.

Pictures of show cars, walking around one at a car show, all are nice things to do. Riding and driving in one is a different story. While I think the car will be great, not all great cars are perfect for everyone---be it automatic or manual transmission.

Plus, the longer you wait (and stay on CF), the more actual, owner experience you will read about. Which means, you will be even more informed even before your first drive in one.

Just a suggestion; it's your money and potentially, your car.
Thanks
Old 06-20-2013, 02:58 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oldgoat99
Because they have less weight to haul XD
You try running with fifty pounds on your back !!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 03:00 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgoat99

Only till the initial pain and shock wears off . . . .
Old 06-20-2013, 03:32 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Only till the initial pain and shock wears off . . . .
lol
Old 06-20-2013, 04:27 PM
458it
Instructor

Dont listen to them. If u like it , BUY it...
Im waiting for the z06 model

Get notified of new replies

To Is a c7 a good match for me?

Old 06-20-2013, 04:41 PM
ieem
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 458it
Dont listen to them. If u like it , BUY it...
Im waiting for the z06 model
thanks, I was considering a callaway model, but 455 bhp is more than enough !!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:55 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Mind my english, but are you being sarcastic ?

I cannot tell whether or not you are :P
Yes..I was joking around with chopper5..

My suggestion is to follow the advice of the other gentleman here..wait...setup an appointment and test drive the car.

You will know what's right for you at that time.

No rush and enjoy the whole process of picking out the color, the options and the interior....as well as the transmission.

I recommend the manual.

If you want a basic feel....go test drive the 2013 s at the dealership and then just realize the 2014 z51 m7 with MRC and NPP exhaust will be even more refined and faster

Good luck
Old 06-20-2013, 06:32 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I love manuals. Driving in stop & go traffic is not that bad. Its actually fun. Going through the gears, to go back down, and then up again is the fun part about it. If that annoys you, then don't get a stick.

In really bad traffic, you really don't shift often so its not really an issue. Some people say they hate having to deal with the clutch all the time; especially in bad traffic when you may pump it a lot. But with todays tech, they are way better then what they use to be in the 80s and older. Your leg won't feel like it had been doing squats for hours after 30 min of slow traffic.

If you like relaxing in your car and keeping your hands on the wheel, then buy an auto. If like to have a driving experience you can partake in, then get a stick.

As to buying a vette over others, that comes down to preference. A stick in any car is a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: Is a c7 a good match for me?