Sponsored by:

eLSD came from where!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default eLSD came from where!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_Slip_Differential
An electronic limited-slip differential will typically have a planetary or bevel gear set similar to that of an open differential and a clutch pack similar to that in a torque sensitive or gerotor pump based differential. In the electronic unit the clamping force on the clutch is controlled externally by a computer or other controller. This allows the control of the differential’s limiting torque, Trq d , to be controlled as part of a total chassis management system. An example of this type of differential is Subaru’s DCCD used in the 2011 Subaru WRX STi.[7] Another example is the Porsche PSD system used on the Porsche 928. A third example is the SAAB XWD (Haldex Generation 4) with eLSD, it uses a common (electronically controlled via the vehicle computer network) hydraulic power pack to control both the longitudinal and transversal torque transfer of the XWD system. The same Haldex system is used on several other GM Epsilon based vehicles such as the Cadillac SRX etc.

(It's twenty years old, but, far more advantages in a Vette!)

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-18-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:32 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default GM had to add it!

http://www.excellence-mag.com/of-not...rque-vectoring

Old 06-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Nvm

Last edited by Kappa; 06-19-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Me!?

Originally Posted by Kappa
Nvm
I'm just the messenger, but, I wrote here that it probably wasn't original!

Anyway, a great way to keep the power coming more, and not pulling timing.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:26 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

all applications to date have been disasters for performance.... we'll see. I have not driven the 2013+ porsches.

from information provided in the c7 presentations, the ediff will not work quickly enough to be anything but a nanny, rather than a performance enhancement.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Seems to be incorporated pretty well!

Originally Posted by ramey
all applications to date have been disasters for performance.... we'll see. I have not driven the 2013+ porsches.

from information provided in the c7 presentations, the ediff will not work quickly enough to be anything but a nanny, rather than a performance enhancement.
A smart electronic limited-slip differential (eLSD) is included in the Z51 Performance Package and continuously makes the most of the torque split between the rear wheels. The system features a hydraulically actuated clutch that can infinitely vary clutch engagement and can respond from open to full engagement in tenths of a second. It shifts torque based on a unique algorithm which factors in vehicle speed, steering input and throttle position to improve steering feel, handling balance and traction.

The eLSD is fully integrated with StabiliTrak and Performance Traction Management systems. Its calibrations vary among three modes, based on the Drive Mode Selector setting:

•Mode 1 is the default setting for normal driving and emphasizes vehicle stability
•Mode 2 is engaged when electronic stability control is turned off in the Sport or Track Driver Modes. This calibration enables more nimble turn-in and traction while accelerating out of a corner
•Mode 3 is automatically selected when Performance Traction Management is engaged. This calibration has the same function as Mode 2, but is fine-tuned to work with Performance Traction Management.

It makes sense to me that this stuff may have had a hand in the 3.8s 0-60? I sure can't see any other way! And that is .1s!

Get notified of new replies

To eLSD came from where!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: eLSD came from where!