Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the satellite antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Very interesting reading; I appreciate all the responses.

I'm sure that the antenna design will affect some reception issues, but I think many of the problems associated with XM radio are based on the radio hardware itself. I base this on my experience with XM radio in our other cars.

For example, my Audi has excellent XM reception that rarely "blips" or goes silent. The only time it cuts out completely is when I pull in the garage or in a long tunnel. Meanwhile, my wife's Range Rover's XM radio blips out all the time. But we both have antennas mounted on top of the car.

As far as I can tell, the XM signal sends a digital music stream, so any outage in signal causes immediate and complete disruption. Thus, the stream is buffered by the radio hardware, just like a YouTube video is buffered by your computer before it starts to play. I suppose the more buffering that is done by the radio, the fewer "blips" you will have when listening.

In either case, XM is good for listening to a wide variety of music or talk sources, but the quality -- even with perfect reception -- stinks compared to music played directly from a memory stick or smartphone.

Very interesting to hear about the antennas being built into the C6's external mirrors. I wonder if there's a way to get confirmation of that for the C7.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by EEProf
You are correct. The XM/Sirius satellites are geosynchronous satellites that are in a 24 hour orbit and rotate in synchronism with the earth's rotation and therefore appear as if they are stationary above the continental US. The satellites have antenna designs that transmit a radio beam that covers the entire continental US at S band (~2.3 Ghz). Materials that do not have the ability to conduct electricity are known as dielectrics (plastics, fiberglass, trees, etc) and they do not block the radio waves completely like a conductor (sheet metal) would do. When my 08 vert goes into a wooded area with many trees with leaves that would absorb some of the radio signal, then the signal strength becomes weaker and the car's receiver cannot detect it. As soon as there is a clearing and the car's antenna in the mirror housing can receive the radio signal and the radio electronics detect, amplify and convert the radio signal into audio signal for the speakers. That is why sheet metal cars have the external antennas for XM/Sirius radio.
I doubt that any of the current sheet metal cars have outside mirrors constructed of sheet metal, thus they could also use the same outside mirrors with their plastic coverings to house the XM satellite antennas, same as the Corvette does.

Must be another reason they stick with the body warts.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:30 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
My '05 still has the wart. Some guys removed them.
The fin will give you much better reception.

When GM put it in the mirrors we heard a lot of complaints about dropping XM reception.

My guess is that it's still in the mirrors. If the antenna is attached to metal instead of plastic it performs better. We will see how they have decided to engineer it this time around.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:02 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 101 car
ALL the new cars I bought for MANY YEARS have that piece of $hit on the roof and on all 2 lane roads (which are tree lined appox. 95% in my driving area ) the signal goes out most of the time, Making Xm/Sirius useless.
I wish I could disconnect the XM/Sirius part of the sound system because when you try to change modes it always goes To XM/Sirius with their recording TRYING TO SELL THEIR SERVICE Plus all the JUNK MAIL I get from them! I NEVER Paid & NEVER will for their service.

Bottom line.. I am glad the C7 don't have that wart on it.
I lose Sirius all the time in my GTI with heavy folliage overhead (worse if wet trees), the buffering sucks on my headunit - even an overpass is enough to cause pausing and the sound quality is pathetic. HD radio sounds infinitely better. And it's FREE!
Old 08-29-2020, 03:10 PM
Ron Mangini
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all that have the 2014-2019 C7 Corvette .......after looking through my GM C7 Shop Manuals, I found that the XM Digital Antenna is located under the "LEFT FRONT FENDER" and it looks like it's mounted to the "LEFT FRONT INNER FENDER WHEEL WELL HOUSING" on a metal bracket plate !!! The AM & FM Radio Antennas are behind the "facia" behind the rear license plate area !!
The following users liked this post:
MMD (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 03:23 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Old thread...good info
Old 08-29-2020, 06:38 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Mangini
For all that have the 2014-2019 C7 Corvette .......after looking through my GM C7 Shop Manuals, I found that the XM Digital Antenna is located under the "LEFT FRONT FENDER" and it looks like it's mounted to the "LEFT FRONT INNER FENDER WHEEL WELL HOUSING" on a metal bracket plate !!! The AM & FM Radio Antennas are behind the "facia" behind the rear license plate area !!
Nice post Ron. 25 posts to get to the answer the OP was looking for.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:14 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by MMD
Nice post Ron. 25 posts to get to the answer the OP was looking for.
And 7 years!
Old 08-29-2020, 07:44 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
And 7 years!
Sometimes it's like getting blood from a stone to get an answer here. It's been a long journey for the poor OP. Not sure if the OP is even still alive or still has his Corvette. Where ever you are OP, you finally got your answer.

Last edited by MMD; 08-29-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:54 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Ha... never thought about, but good to know. Better late than never
Old 08-30-2020, 12:15 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,397 Likes on 14,026 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good find Ron. Thanks for posting the info.

Quick Reply: Where is the satellite antenna?