Sponsored by:

Z51 without Magnetic Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 PM
GatMix07C6
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Z51 without Magnetic Ride?

So there has been a lot of debate as to whether Z51 is a must have option and I am confused.

I do not plan on tracking my car but I like the Z51 package because of the larger tires, rims and spoiler that it offers.

However, I do not want to spend the money on the magnetic ride because I have a limit to what I want to spend and I already plan on going 2LT.

My question is in regards to the quality of the ride on a Z51 equipped C7 without the magnetic ride. Will it be uncomfortable? I plan on using this car as a DD during the Spring and Summer months. I am afraid that if I go this route I will be sorry because the car will have a harsh ride.

What are your thought?

Thank you.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:25 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No it won't be an overly harsh ride. Probably similar to a C6 Grand Sport without the MRC option which ride quite nicely as a daily driver. I chose to order my C7 Z51 without the MRC option as I didn't think it was worth the $2K for my intended use
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Z51 without MSRC has stiffer springs and a larger rear stabilizer bar and shocks. The stiffer ride might be ok in the sunbelt states but some roads in Michigan have potholes and frost heaves. The very short sidewalls won't isolate you much from that. For daily driving you'd be better off with either the base model or MSRC to soften the blows.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:44 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Depends on the person, IMO.

I'm assuming that it will be similar to the previous Z51 as far as ride quality goes, but likely even better. My C5 has C6 Z51 shocks and anit-sway bars and I think it rides quite well on the winter ravaged Vermont roads considering the handling capabilities, but I'm also fairly young and enjoy a sportier setup than some might.

Last edited by CPhelps; 06-25-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:50 PM
BADA BING
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you are saying with the z-51 only option you get the stiffer springs and larger sway bar. so I would assume the handling would be better with that opposed to the MRC which makes it softer or harder giving you different shocks and/springs sway bar....correct?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Raitzi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Google bilstein sport. (that is what it will have)
Old 06-25-2013, 01:51 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you could swing it just fine as it's not going to be as harsh as you might think. I live in Indiana and my car is a Daily driver, so I find great use for the Mag ride because it comes with a snow setting when equipped with the Z51. All Season tires with this package should prove to be a tank in all seasons
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

The suspension isn't as much a factor on bad roads as the new tires. Previous Z51 cars had the same tire profiles as base cars. Grand Sports had wide 18/19 tires which meant that the 30% or 35% profile was still a decent height sidewall. The new Z51 has gone back to narrow tires but in 19/20 resulting in the shortest sidewall ever. Great for handling but maybe not too pothole-friendly. At least MSRC should help with that.

Last edited by ZL-1; 06-25-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by BADA BING
so you are saying with the z-51 only option you get the stiffer springs and larger sway bar. so I would assume the handling would be better with that opposed to the MRC which makes it softer or harder giving you different shocks and/springs sway bar....correct?
I believe that the Z51 with MRC will be the best handling in addition to the best ride based on the ability to vary damping rate not only based on what driving mode you are in but also the cars sensors detecting the conditions that the car is experiencing and also the inputs you are giving in order to execute the maneuvers that the driver intends.

Last edited by CPhelps; 06-25-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Athrose
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GatMix07C6
So there has been a lot of debate as to whether Z51 is a must have option and I am confused.

I do not plan on tracking my car but I like the Z51 package because of the larger tires, rims and spoiler that it offers.

However, I do not want to spend the money on the magnetic ride because I have a limit to what I want to spend and I already plan on going 2LT.

My question is in regards to the quality of the ride on a Z51 equipped C7 without the magnetic ride. Will it be uncomfortable? I plan on using this car as a DD during the Spring and Summer months. I am afraid that if I go this route I will be sorry because the car will have a harsh ride.

What are your thought?

Thank you.
Thanks for asking this question as I had the same one. A dealer that I'm working with on my order has suggested that I ignore this option for two reasons. First, he has never been able to detect the differences in the ride on previous models with and without this option. Second, he has never seen this feature recognized in any of the valuation models for used car sales. I keep my cars forever so the resale value is of little consequence.

So even after hearing his perspective, I'm still not certain which way I'll go. Time will tell I guess.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:14 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Athrose
Thanks for asking this question as I had the same one. A dealer that I'm working with on my order has suggested that I ignore this option for two reasons. First, he has never been able to detect the differences in the ride on previous models with and without this option. Second, he has never seen this feature recognized in any of the valuation models for used car sales. I keep my cars forever so the resale value is of little consequence.

So even after hearing his perspective, I'm still not certain which way I'll go. Time will tell I guess.

I had it in my 08 cep!

I've ordered in my C7!

Great option, that's why Ferrari is using it!

Here it is in KBB! Click on options!

http://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/corvett...&path=&filter=
Old 06-25-2013, 02:15 PM
GatMix07C6
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you for all of the replies.

I am still unsure.

I want the Z51 wheels, larger tires and spoiler but not if I regret my decision every time I go over one of the many bumps on the Michigan roads.

I could possibly wait for someone to sell their Z51 take off wheels and buy the spoiler from the dealer but what would the cost be on that? Less that the Z51 or more? I guess no one can answer that question because its still too early.

Last edited by GatMix07C6; 06-25-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:40 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

you are correct: no one has "lived" with the car for six, twelve or more months, and certainly not thru one of your winters, or on your roads day after day.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Athrose

If the dealer cannot detect the difference between the modes of an MSRC equipped vehicle then I wouldn't take their advice. I have given people rides in my C5 with MSRC and once I gave them before and after rides with it on and off they were able to feel the difference. This includes my wife, who is not a car person and a buddy of mine who basically just drives Cadillacs.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

What if you waited nine months for a body of opinion based on real-world experience to be formed? In waiting you might also get the opportunity to test-drive all three versions.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

No one knows how the C7 Z51 suspension is tuned without MRC, other than the engineers. You'll have to wait if you want to know for sure. Also ride is very subjective. One person can a car rides great, while another person thinks it rides like a buckboard. You don't want to drive something for years that you don't enjoy.

Michael
Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 PM
C7s
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 127 Posts

Will dealers have any demos to drive or will all cars be sold orders? Before I order I want to see and drive in person to determine options I want.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 without Magnetic Ride?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

What is the benefit of the larger tires on the z51 package? I can only think of negatives...worse gas mileage, unable to rotate your tires, less cushion for the roads.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by GatMix07C6

What are your thought?

Thank you.
The c7 z51 without MRC will be totally capable of daily driver usage. I have 62k miles on my c6 z51 manual and its been great.

I do recommend reaching in and pulling out another 1800 dollars though because I believe the PTM will be so awesome you will forever regret not going full boat on the z51 with MRC.

Still you can easily live without it. I just believe its among the biggest advancements of the c7.

Of course the ultra track ready z28 ditches the MRC of the zL1 Camaro with a very unique type of shock.

Could be a fast ticket shock in the stock z51 without the MRC....

That said...get the MRC......I really believe that is 1800 dollars you ll be glad you spent years down the road.

I'm biased as I drove the CTS v with an earlier generation MRC shock on the road and the track and walked away that impressed.

Add the fact. That Ferrari licenses MRC technology and we have an interesting case as to why we should consider MRC a viable and cost effective option...

Of course...waiting to test drive both versions or all three might be the smart path to take if you can wait...

If not..I'd recommend the MRC just for the fun it might offer as its world class leading suspension technology..

Good luck
Old 06-25-2013, 07:30 PM
Mike S
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had a C5 and a C6. In both cases I drove cars with and without MSRC before buying. Having done that, there is no way I would own another Corvette without MSRC. Pay the $2 large and enjoy the best of the best. Can't be more than $10 per month.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Z51 without Magnetic Ride?