C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hated the C7 rear end....but it is starting to grow on me

Old 06-17-2013, 05:20 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

The new rear is great, has a very sinister look. This is a new direction for Corvette. Time to embrace it as it is not going to change for a long time guys.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:31 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,235 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
I think the rear of the car looks better with darker colors. The big black diffuser looks to be a little much.

I think a body color diffuser would be a great option..

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I like the rear end. If I would change anything it would be the Corvette script in the center. I would make it smaller and place it on the right side below the reflector like the C6. I read earlier the design team waited until the last minute to decide on where to place the script.
My guess is if there's no holes left behind, a popular mod will be moving or removing that script.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by -CM-
I have always liked it, and will own one that looks just like this by the end of the year.

Car is bad *** lookin...anyone that says otherwise needs to get with the program...

Mine is comin!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

The pic above is the first decent one I've seen of the car in Lime Rock Green. The back end is starting to grow on me & I can tolerate it in this color. Like others, I think it will look best in the darker colors.

I remember being at L.A. Auto show the day they unveiled a C5. I liked the car right away. Then when I saw the first C5 on the road I thought the back end was too big, compared to the C4 back end, & I didn't like it but it grew on me. I'm sure it will be the same for the C7. Otherwise, I really like everything else about this new Vette.

When the C4 debuted I liked it from all angles right from the start. I felt the same when the C6 came out. Then again the change from the C5 to the C6 wasn't as drastic as the change from the C6 to the C7 IMO.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Interesting. One of the Forum members who use to hate the rear just put a deposit on a new Stingray. He swore me to secrecy. No big deal. Design changes have the ability to look better after a period of time. I placed an order in January , there were some features I did not care for which look a lot better to me after seeing the car more than once..
Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Ok, if this has been said, my bad!

The rear end reminds me of something from the Transformers movie!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Big Hammer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default variations

Originally Posted by 2001conv
They were round, except when they were square or oval.
The "square" was rounded as was the "oval". Beat that drum, then what is the deal about nothing round about them at all?

Last edited by Big Hammer; 06-17-2013 at 07:28 PM. Reason: mis spell
Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Yep!

Originally Posted by drmustang
The new rear is great, has a very sinister look. This is a new direction for Corvette. Time to embrace it as it is not going to change for a long time guys.
By definition brainwashing will pull you in if she goes!

Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM
OHV4LIFE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
I hated the C7 rear end....but it is starting to grow on me

I keep patiently waiting for that to happen as often times familiarity will soften one's opinion.

While I remain most impressed and supportive of the overall design of the C7, the rear end still strikes me as a collision of too many conflicting design elements, textures, finishes and colors. To me, it's as if they tried to darn hard to make it different.
If the rear of the C7 were styled I may not like it so much. But since the rear of the car was designed I do like it a lot. Every shape on the rear serves a function. For example, many people dislike the vents located beneath the taillights. The placement of the vents was designed into the C7. Tadge stated stated that in test the area beneath the taillights is a low pressure area that experiences a partial vacuum, which allows the air extending the vent to be sucked out. Looking at it many people would ask why did they put it there. But from listening to Tadge, that was clearly a design decision. Therefore, I wouldn't touch any part of the rear of the car.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:57 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by drmustang
You work for GM?
Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Hammer
The "square" was rounded as was the "oval". Beat that drum, then what is the deal about nothing round about them at all?
Oh, I see now. Square lights with slightly rounded edges (basically the shape of iPhone icons) don't really count as "not round". Because the corners have rounded edges. And oval shape (the shape on my C5) is really round too.

It's always a blast dealing with people who will discard all logic in order to blindly support their position. Instead of "that's true, there were a couple of models that didn't have round taillights", it's more important to stick to the false narrative that "all Corvettes should have round taillights".

Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Bill B 1
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

well I don't now and have never owned a C6 but I love the C7 rear, and side and front and top, it all works together perfectly IMO.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 PM
BGCZO6
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
I think the rear of the car looks better with darker colors. The big black diffuser looks to be a little much.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:15 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,557 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
I didn't like the styling of the C6 when I owned a C5, but in time I began to like the C6 styling. It grew on me and when I had the C5 and C6 next to each other I liked the C6 more. .
I am a very happy owner of a C6 but there are styling elements of the C5 I happen to like better (e.g., I like the rear end of the C5 better than the C6, but that's just me)...
Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
I am a very happy owner of a C6 but there are styling elements of the C5 I happen to like better (e.g., I like the rear end of the C5 better than the C6, but that's just me)...

This pic shows my C5 and C6 converts parked next to each other and I also have always thought the C5's rear looks better than the C6's and the funny thing is when non corvette people saw the two parked next to each other most thought the C5 was the newer one.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:20 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Didn't like the rear, placed a order anyways, I must learn to like it....
Old 06-18-2013, 12:00 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm patiently waiting to see what the ZR looks like before putting one in my garage. And yes, I'm being presumptuous. But, I just can't get my head around the rear end, despite really wanting it to grow on me. I can't help but see some of the gimmickry that GM has been chided for in the past. There were a million other ways the rear could have been designed. Perhaps I set my expectations too high.

Though it isn't a deal breaker, it certainly isn't winning any awards in my mind. I keep wondering whether I will chuckle when I see the rear end 20+ years from now, kinda like I do now when I see the cladding/styling of an early 90's Bonneville SSE or a late '80's Trans Am with ram air.

I'm really hoping with some financial stability, GM will produce a revolutionary C8. Hopefully, the mods won't wait too long to open a new C8 section, so the trolls have something to speculate about after the C7's are widely available

Get notified of new replies

To I hated the C7 rear end....but it is starting to grow on me

Old 06-18-2013, 12:29 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I didnt like the rear end at first, but it's grown on me some and i've come to accept it. Everything changes sooner or later... And as said before, GM had to do something to try and increase sales and bring in new blood.

If you look at any Corvette club pics the majority of owners are older people. There is gray hair everywhere . Those groups of owners are not going to live forever, GM had to try and bring in new blood or buyers for the car.

The C7 gives a new young Corvette owner an exotic looking car for a good "bang for the buck" price. They upgraded parts of the car and addressed issues people had with the interior. And they gave buyers the options to upgrade the interior even more if they want to.

I think they wanted a design that set the C7 apart from the normal Corvette, and the rear end was a big part of the change. It screams "different" (and maybe thats what they wanted).

If we have to learn to like a new rear end in order to "keep the car alive" i think thats ok..... A much worse fate would have been if the car went the way of Pontiac, Saturn, Olds. They could have made the choice to end production of a low volume car when all the trouble was going on a few years ago with the car companies. Im glad the Vette made it through all that mess and still lives today.

I'd still like to see a few small changes to the rear end to clean it up a little bit, but if a new rear end is needed for the car to "stay alive" im ok with it.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:01 AM
MAGRED-02
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not a fan of the C7 coupe but could see a convertible in my future. I don't care for the rear end styling but haven't seen it in person. I will probably never consider it good looking but maybe I will be able to tolerate it with time.

As for the majority of Corvette owners being older and GM needing to change the styling to attract a younger crowd I don't totally agree. While a refresh is needed from time to time the Corvette has always appealed to younger buyers, they just aren't financially able to afford one until they are older. Nobody is getting younger so there will always be an "older" crowd looking to buy a Corvette.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:15 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't own and never owned a C6, but I hated the C7 rear end when the jalopnik render was shown ages ago. I thought it was so ridiculous that there was no way it could be real.

... But yeah, I really like it now. Very unique and aggressive looking. It does not look nearly as much like the Camaro rear as a lot of people say. Practically the only thing they have in common is that there are four lights each with four corners.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I hated the C7 rear end....but it is starting to grow on me