Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Kerbeck Corvettes

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
millpond
CF Senior Member

Default C7 Most Significant Feature

After attending a Father's Day car show in the Napa Valley today (Yountville), and taking my first close look at a Ford GT40... Amazing race quality build, the thing that stood out the most was the similarity in the cooling system. Air entering the front and exiting through a direct large vent in the hood reminded me of the C7. A very good thing for the upcoming Corvette as far as I am concerned, and the most significant change from the C6. Enough reason alone to get a C7. What do you think?
millpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #2
Sin City
CF Senior Member

Honestly, it's the looks and the improved interior. The rest is better but no so much that you just "gotta have it". You can get a new C6 now that goes just about as fast and costs maybe ten's of thousands less at discount.

The only reason you won't is because it looks better and has a better interior.

I personally think the new Direct Injection engine is probably the best new feature. But, it's not so much about outright performance as it is about being efficient. DI is not new to many cars, but it is new to Corvette.

Last edited by Sin City; 06-16-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Sin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
JoesC5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millpond View Post
After attending a Father's Day car show in the Napa Valley today (Yountville), and taking my first close look at a Ford GT40... Amazing race quality build, the thing that stood out the most was the similarity in the cooling system. Air entering the front and exiting through a direct large vent in the hood reminded me of the C7. A very good thing for the upcoming Corvette as far as I am concerned, and the most significant change from the C6. Enough reason alone to get a C7. What do you think?
Ford GT40's are pretty rare but they were the hot ticket back in the sixties, even though they were designed strictly for racing.

Of course the Ford GT40 has a Cd of .39, not quite as good the C5's .29 or the C6's .287 which do not have the hood vents. But better than the 1963 C2 with it's .43 Cd and it's fake hood vents. The hood vents on the GT40 were more about ducting the radiator's cooling air out then it was about aero(but they didn't want to duct it below the car), since the engine compartment was located behind the passenger compartment and the radiator was located in the front of the car.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-16-2013 at 10:35 PM.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
Jp23rockstar
CF Senior Member

john_peterson23 rocklegend23

The active rev match feature is pretty cool.
Jp23rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
rcallen484
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesC5 View Post
Ford GT40's are pretty rare but they were the hot ticket back in the sixties, even though they were designed strictly for racing.

Of course the Ford GT40 has a Cd of .39, not quite as good the C5's .29 or the C6's .287 which do not have the hood vents. The hood vents on the GT40 were more about ducting the radiator's cooling air out then it was about aero(but they didn't want to duct it below the car), since the engine compartment was located behind the passenger compartment and the radiator was located in the front of the car.
Aren't the Cd and the lift factor somewhat different? Wasn't the hood vent included in the C7 to reduce "lift" and it does so by disrupting airflow over the hood thus eliminating the "wing" (lift) effect? And doesn't it do so by venting the air that passed through the radiator thus expelling heated air in the process?
rcallen484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
OnPoint
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Wichita Kansas - 2011 Callaway GS 606HP & 2010 ZR1 638HP

It has a V8. . . and that V8 doesn't shut itself off while you're in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left.
OnPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
rcallen484
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Stiffer chassis, even though made of aluminum, is a nice feature which will enhance handling in a meaningful way. Add everything up and the C7 truly is a remarkable achievement.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
rcallen484
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnPoint View Post
It has a V8. . . and that V8 doesn't shut itself off while you're in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left.
And it runs on all 8 even cruising on flat highway unless the driver chooses "eco" mode!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #9
millpond
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcallen484 View Post
Wasn't the hood vent included in the C7 to reduce "lift" and it does so by disrupting airflow over the hood thus eliminating the "wing" (lift) effect? And doesn't it do so by venting the air that passed through the radiator thus expelling heated air in the process?
It does. Seems like an elegant way to both reduce lift and cool the radiator.
millpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
lt4obsesses
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcallen484 View Post
Stiffer chassis, even though made of aluminum, is a nice feature which will enhance handling in a meaningful way. Add everything up and the C7 truly is a remarkable achievement.
I agree with the frame being the single biggest feature. I think the idea of adding mass where most beneficial, and lightening it where mass is not needed, as opposed to rails of one thickness will see a very nimble yet sturdy car. I just think this is a great foundation which will enhance every other feature it brings to the table.
lt4obsesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:36 AM   #11
SCM_Crash
UIX Engineer to the Max!
Support Corvetteforum!

The improved interior. It IS the deciding factor in selling my C5.
SCM_Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #12
redzone
CF Senior Member

3rd gen MSRC & PTM gets my vote.......
redzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #13
jdhommert
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to jdhommert

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzone View Post

I'll agree with him.
jdhommert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
george vee
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

New technology, lets not forget the C6 technology is at least 8 years old.
george vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #15
2k2C5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Configurable dash display and driver mode settings are pretty high tech. The interior upgrade is very nice and a big improvement.
2k2C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #16
Meir David

hai dude

The best significant is

It has a lightweight body and frame that makes the car stiffer, faster and better ....
Meir David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
-CM-
CF Senior Member

Lime Rock Green!

Seriously though, it's tough to pick one feature as being the most significant because there are so many cool things about the C7. But if I have to pick just one, I'll go with the driver mode selection system. Even though we haven't seen all of its functionality, it looks like it is going to be pretty cool.
-CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #18
FloydSummerOf68
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to FloydSummerOf68

Technology and interior. Performance and looks aren't a deciding factor for me because the C6 GS already has that in spades.

I'm selling my C6 because the interior and tech are soooooooo dated. I'm going to be moving into a CTS-V Coupe until the C7 fever dies down and discounts start flying around.
FloydSummerOf68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #19
JerriVette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzone View Post
I agree and would and its the cars ability to communicate with each of these systems along with NPP to alter the driving experience depending on the various settings etc...and conditions...

That ability to alter its purpose and refine the driving experience will make the many years of ownership the most enjoyable.

Add in the stunning good looks and the super car leading performance capability and you ve got what many would again consider a world class sports car.

JMO
JerriVette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #20
Mechanic
CF Senior Member

The C7's most significant feature? This is easy: Value for money. You get all the features and equipment previous mentioned for half the cost of anything remotely comparable.
Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page C7 Most Significant Feature