Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C7 Forum policy: Ignore Trolls

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:16 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 87 Posts

I know this much,when the C6 forum first started it didn't have a bunch of C5 owners on it telling future buyers what a colossal POS it was going to be.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:31 AM
rstrait
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I see nothing wrong with criticism of the C7, everybody's entitled to their opinion. Then there are those who try to provoke a reaction with over the top negativity and criticism. Ignore them. Those who resort to personal attacks, name calling, etc. should be ignored also.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I find the s#*t fights a good read, especially when it is one troll VS another troll.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
It's real easy to just ignore what you want without making a big deal of it. Nor do you have to respond to someone because you don't agree with them. Read something you don't like..skip over it. Thats just my opinion. Lol
crazy talk right there
Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by redzone
I know this much,when the C6 forum first started it didn't have a bunch of C5 owners on it telling future buyers what a colossal POS it was going to be.
I remember it different
Old 06-17-2013, 07:59 AM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, dialog requires acceptence by the members of the dialog over rules of engagement. Here are some ideas that have worked in a large number of situations.
Always treat the forum with courage, candor and respect.
Respect is the key concept.
Never attack, demean or in anyway disrespect another person.
Always address the idea, suggestion, or concept not the author.
Respect the subject of the thread by sticking to the sublject - no hijacking.
If the thread reminds you of something else, start a new thread.
Try to minimize the one on one conversations and resist the need to have the last word.
Reflect your understanding of a comment before agreeing or disagreeing with it.
Try to remember the forum is an exchange not your personal platform.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:30 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Ignore list those that you really do not like reading. It made a big improvement for me. And, do not feel the need to respond to posts you do not agree with. I use the forum for information, not to carry on a debate with someone. But, to each their own.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer
I just have this thing against members coming on here trying to dictate who may and who may not express opinion. That's all!
1. The OP suggest ignoring them.

2. This is an enthusiast site; not a general "shoot your schit" chat site. If one likes their C6 and not the C7; then an enthusiast would post this dislike in the C6 section; but an ego would post negatives in the particular section that can do damage to fellow Corvette enthusiasts

Enthusiasts are not only for the car series.... but champions of other people that have the same enthusiasm for that particular brand of car.

the mistake here on Cf is not to yearn for enthusiast-only posters; but to think this is not an enthusiast web site... and instead should be a free-for-all.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
1. The OP suggest ignoring them.

2. This is an enthusiast site; not a general "shoot your schit" chat site. If one likes their C6 and not the C7; then an enthusiast would post this dislike in the C6 section; but an ego would post negatives in the particular section that can do damage to fellow Corvette enthusiasts

Enthusiasts are not only for the car series.... but champions of other people that have the same enthusiasm for that particular brand of car.

the mistake here on Cf is not to yearn for enthusiast-only posters; but to think this is not an enthusiast web site... and instead should be a free-for-all.
Excellent, well said. I couldn't agree more. If people want to post whatever rattles around in their head, regardless of how it offends other people, then go to Reddit.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
I use the forum for information, not to carry on a debate with someone.

but there is a place for hurt egos to sound off... but it's not at a specific car model enthusiast web site.

If I go into the C6 section of an enthusiast site and say negative things about the C7; I'll be amongst friends. But to do this in the C7 section ... is selfish, and not being a part of the Corvette community.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 06-17-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by pewter99
I remember it different
serious.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:21 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

The ignore list is a very nice tool. I have found myself using it quite frequently.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redzone
I remember it different
I don't remember it like that... after the C6 was officially introduced by GM .

Corvette enthusiasts that liked the C6 continued to post in that section. Those that didn't (and I was one who didn't like the C6) went back to their perspective sections... and continued to re-enforce the Corvette experience there.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:39 AM
tomlink
Pro

Received 221 Likes on 124 Posts

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who delights in sowing discord on the Internet by trying to start arguments and upset people.[1]. They may do this by posting deliberately inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]
Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
The ignore list is a very nice tool. I have found myself using it quite frequently.
Yes, I use it too. Funny, I went for years without anyone on my list, but since I became active in the C7 section, it has grown by quite a lot. It's interesting, too, that many of the people on my list do not even post any longer (banned?).

But it would be nice if the ignore feature completely blocked out the users on the list. As it is, you can still see posts from ignored people when someone else quotes them, or if they start a thread.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:17 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

I remember it different
I was going to post this exact thing since its been mentioned several times already. Nor do I recall the people leaving after the introduction, only the names have changed between then and now.

Another observation, I find the fanboys endlessly spamming their message every bit as groan worthy as the haters doing their thing. Whichever the case may be it makes little difference though, a few repetitions of this stuff from the same poster and I learn to blow right by their posts without reading them. Regardless, if our goal is to seek an end to trolling the fanboys must also go because they never let up either and their stink is no less foul.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

If we all agreed on most everything....this site would be pretty boring! We all have our opinions and if someone starts or answers a thread that is of a different opinion from the majority here....he or she is labeled a troll or hater! The C7 is new and some love it, some hate it and some are on the fence about it. I think everyone should be able to voice their opinion, regardless of what anyone thinks!

Get notified of new replies

To New C7 Forum policy: Ignore Trolls

Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
. I think everyone should be able to voice their opinion, regardless of what anyone thinks!
you're totally missing the point; CF is an enthusiast type site; it's a different mentality than - say -
www.JrHighSchoolMentality.com

Say all the negative things you want - in the sections of the forum where it will be well received. An enthusiast never attempts to dampen other enthusiasts energies.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To be honest, some of the fights on here can be pretty amusing. I particularly like reading drmustang's take on the Porsche Boxster and Gayman. And I always get hooked on sam90lx's posts about Grand Sports magically being faster than C7s. I've been on other forums and must say, the level of troll here is far better than other forums. Even in recent days the insulting has decreased significantly from personal attacks and belittling. It's getting better believe it or not.

-Alex
Old 06-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

My ignore list does not contain those that disagree with me or someone else on the forum. It contains those that find the need to use bad language and in general seem to have little or no regard for someone else's opinion. The ones who believe they are the holders of all knowledge are on my list.

Quick Reply: New C7 Forum policy: Ignore Trolls