Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Apple is Samsung's bitch
Old 06-16-2013, 05:12 PM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AVETTE
At the labor day event at the museum this year, you will find out just how far the iOS integration goes and you will LIKEY, all I can say, so much for "the next big thing" samsung plastic crud :rof l::r ofl: :rof l:

Poor Android... The forgotten, malware ridden, step-child wanna be with over 1/3 of the devices running a version of android from 2010...
And still more useful and cooler than iOS7 Beta...

Meanwhile latest news out of cupertino, iTunes is adding 500,000 new accounts PER DAY
Sweet 500,000 MORE people PER DAY that can curse at iTunes when they try and get music and movies to their device.

Oh, I forgot, 11 major car manufactures have decided to join with apple (so far) But I forgot, Apple has lost its magic, right?
As far as operating systems on phones and tablets it has.

Make sure if you can't attend the labor day event to watch the video that will undoubtedly be posted here, it's not to late to drop the Junk Sung before your new C7 arrives Even if you can't sell it for much
No worries, my ALL Aluminum bodied android device, with interactive icons and widgets, better DPI than any iDevice will handle it just fine.

All joking aside, they are both awesome devices. I ran an iPhone 4 for several years, but cannot stand the iTunes requirement to get content on my phone. Also, having used Android for a while now, the interactive widgets and icons have Apple beat big time.

If Apple decides to innovate again (or follow Android, however you look at it) and create some interactive icons and widgets and make it easier to get content onto and off the phone, then I'll consider switching.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Apple + C7 = Heaven for me.

I hope they are able to provide the entire iOS experience, on the C7 8" touchscreen when an iPhone is plugged into the USB port.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:33 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,963 Likes on 1,386 Posts

I think GM had to do this. The iPhone screen is just too small for most people to read. :

Michael
Old 07-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Zhuskers1
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Bump!

Any update on IF the C7 will have Apple iCar? It is a 2014.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...board-near-you
Old 07-20-2013, 11:56 AM
theDRisin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Apple + C7 = Heaven for me.

I hope they are able to provide the entire iOS experience, on the C7 8" touchscreen when an iPhone is plugged into the USB port.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

It doesn't appear that Chevrolet is so tied to the iPhone as other car brands are. And that's a good thing. I would much rather have my car work well with all phones.

That's why Bluetooth is such a great technology -- it theoretically works with any phone. I just wish they would improve the media playing abilities through Bluetooth. I have yet to see a Bluetooth system that can completely control the phone to pull up playlists, artists, albums, etc. It seems that you have to start playing the music with the phone, and then you can forward- or back-skip to different songs, but you can't choose a different playlist without going back to the phone.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:31 PM
dmporter31
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
I think GM had to do this. The iPhone screen is just too small for most people to read. :

Michael
this is one reason I got a Galaxy Note II last year
Old 07-20-2013, 03:59 PM
John_R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd rather have Blackberry's QNX os in the car then any Apple iCrap

Seriously speaking QNX powers a lot of machine-to-machine, a lot of North American automobile industry, power stations, space missions, medical and healthcare related equipment, a lot of mission critical applications. See link http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_5603_1.html also check the market tab on the website.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:15 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate Apple as a company and I would NEVER buy their products.

That being said, if a car came with iOS integration, it better come with Android integration too or I would reconsider my purchase. It's insulting to assume I'd want iOS anything on my car just because Apple yuppies want it. Apple doesn't have the market share. It doesn't even have close to half of the market share. Android has demolished the competition (and for good reason).

There will simply be no time that I will pick up a car based on its iOS integration and it may even be a deterrent.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:25 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Speednet
It doesn't appear that Chevrolet is so tied to the iPhone as other car brands are. And that's a good thing. I would much rather have my car work well with all phones.

That's why Bluetooth is such a great technology -- it theoretically works with any phone. I just wish they would improve the media playing abilities through Bluetooth. I have yet to see a Bluetooth system that can completely control the phone to pull up playlists, artists, albums, etc. It seems that you have to start playing the music with the phone, and then you can forward- or back-skip to different songs, but you can't choose a different playlist without going back to the phone.
Bluetooth is fine for the uses that mention.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...-for-your-car/

But using a more powerful wifi-spec like Apple Airplay is way more powerful. For example using Apple Airplay in my home, I can mirror absolutely ANYTHING from Macbook, iPhone or iPad screen onto any display in the house. There is no pairing, no codes to enter and it works with any iDevice connected to my home network. Can you imagine how much potential this has to apps on my iPhone? To mirror any app onto the 8" screen in my car?

Airplay has much more bandwidth than Bluetooth meaning I can use it to send both audio & video to different displays. Imagine having a kid in the car, and they are able to wireless play anything they want on the 8" touchscreen in these cars. Sounds pretty awesome to me. Why cripple the C7 to use Bluetooth only, when Airplay + Wifi are pretty common specs on so many a/v entertainment devices already. If anything include both.

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash

That being said, if a car came with iOS integration, it better come with Android integration too or I would reconsider my purchase. It's insulting to assume I'd want iOS anything on my car just because Apple yuppies want it. Apple doesn't have the market share. It doesn't even have close to half of the market share. Android has demolished the competition (and for good reason).

There will simply be no time that I will pick up a car based on its iOS integration and it may even be a deterrent.
I dont want my in car technical experience to be crippled & limited, because other people prefer to use Android phones. People like you will still have the ability to use Bluetooth and its limitations. But I want my iPhone should be capable of doing all the great things it does in my car.. that it can already do in my home. Like playing whatever I want on any display.. with no wires/cables.

Here's a quick video on what every Apple device that already includes Airplay can do. And that no Android phone can do.

Simple audio & video using Airplay:

Mirroring an entire device screen & playing games wirelessly using Airplay:

Last edited by Daekwan06; 07-20-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 PM
r1owner
Racer

But using a more powerful wifi-spec like Apple Airplay is way more powerful. For example using Apple Airplay in my home, I can mirror absolutely ANYTHING from Macbook, iPhone or iPad screen onto any display in the house. There is no pairing, no codes to enter and it works with any iDevice connected to my home network. Can you imagine how much potential this has to apps on my iPhone? To mirror any app onto the 8" screen in my car?

Airplay has much more bandwidth than Bluetooth meaning I can use it to send both audio & video to different displays. Imagine having a kid in the car, and they are able to wireless play anything they want on the 8" touchscreen in these cars. Sounds pretty awesome to me. Why cripple the C7 to use Bluetooth only, when Airplay + Wifi are pretty common specs on so many a/v entertainment devices already. If anything include both. I dont want my technical experience to be limited, because other people prefer to use Android phones. My iPhone should be capable of doing the same things it does in my car.. as it does in my home.
That's fine... but why limit it to technologies that only Apple creates? Funny enough HTC has this technology as well. I can wirelessly send HD content to a device that HTC makes.

I'm fine with hooking a phone up to a cable to get the features you describe.

In fact I think we're on the same page. I want the 8" display in the car to be nothing other than a dumb terminal. When my phone is in the car, I want the terminal to simply be a touch screen extension of the phone.

I think it would be a bad idea FOR GM to ignore the millions of people that run Android (although they apparently are going down that path).

My iPhone works perfect in my USB port in my 2010 Cobalt, but my Android might as well be a brick when plugged into that same port. Shame really that they are doing that.

Last edited by r1owner; 07-20-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:41 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Airplay has much more bandwidth than Bluetooth meaning I can use it to send both audio & video to different displays. Imagine having a kid in the car, and they are able to wireless play anything they want on the 8" touchscreen in these cars. Sounds pretty awesome to me. Why cripple the C7 to use Bluetooth only, when Airplay + Wifi are pretty common specs on so many a/v entertainment devices already. If anything include both.

I dont want my in car technical experience to be crippled & limited, because other people prefer to use Android phones. People like you will still have the ability to use Bluetooth and its limitations. But I want my iPhone should be capable of doing all the great things it does in my car.. that it can already do in my home. Like playing whatever I want on any display.. with no wires/cables.
I see you give into Apple's marketing pretty easily. I suspect you believe that Apple pioneered all these technologies too.

So first thing's first, Apple Air Play is a combination of a bunch of tweaked standards available on all devices except Apple. They did this purposely so you have to buy more Apple products. WiDi+DLNA (which is primarily what AirPlay is), can put any content you want wirelessly on devices that accept that standard. Most modern Android phones have had this for a long time. In addition to that, it uses DLNA for pushing audio to these devices... Not just bluetooth.

I do find it ironic that you say you don't want your infotainment system to be limited to what is possible because it would work with Android too. Apple has less than 40% of the smartphone market share to this day. Android is over 52% of the market share. Exactly what majority is getting limited in this case? With a near 13% greater market share on smart phones, Android would be the limited, not the limiter. And considering that the standards that are used in Android are readily available on the newest Blackberries and Windows phones as well, there'd be an additional 8% of the market share directly limited by supporting specifically Apple devices.

So please, hop off that high horse and take a good look around. Market trends dictate what the best moves are. If GM were to do something as closed off as to put iOS specific systems in their car, they'd be giving the big middle finger to the majority of their customers. Fact is that these MyLink systems go in ALL of their cars, including the economy cars where the buyers are more likely to own Android devices than iOS.

Food for thought.

Referrence:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...p-study-shows/

EDIT:

I see you added a video of something super amazing... and old.

Last edited by SCM_Crash; 07-20-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

...People like you will still have the ability to use Bluetooth and its limitations. But I want my iPhone should be capable of doing all the great things it does in my car.. that it can already do in my home. Like playing whatever I want on any display.. with no wires/cables.
Dude, I have an iPhone 5, so the "people like you" comment doesn't fit.

AirPlay is not a good solution for the car, because it requires you to use the phone to control everything. Bluetooth with voice control on the car's media system is the best approach for a car because you don't need to even take it out of your pocket. If they would improve the media access like I had mentioned it would be nearly perfect. Bluetooth is not a limitation, it is an enabler.

Apple does some things well on the iPhone, but they are not the best for everything as you seem to indicate. Smart car manufacturers don't make everything work great with iPhone but bad with everything else. The manufacturers that act like Apple fanboys will look dumb when the iPhone is not the hot product. (Like is starting to happen now.)
Old 07-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Please reconsider your purchase, as I do not want an Android system in my C7 that has a multitude of problems; poorly written apps and susceptible to malicious apps and/or ads.
https://blog.lookout.com/blog/2013/0...e-google-play/

In addition, when Apple upgrades the IOS it's very seamless without issues. Not so when trying to update the OS on an Android system. First you need to find out if you device is compatible with the new upgrade, if not your out of luck. I've had both an Android and Apple phone/system and prefer Apple.

By the way, what is the latest Android OS called again......Cupcake, Donut, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich?
Old 07-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

If GM were to do something as closed off as to put iOS specific systems in their car, they'd be giving the big middle finger to the majority of their customers.
GM is smart and wants a device that is again....NOT SUSCEPTIBLE to malware!

http://www.insidemobileapps.com/2013...security-hole/

Get notified of new replies

To New Apple iCar in C7?

Old 07-20-2013, 05:52 PM
r1owner
Racer

I'm not sure you guys understand how this works....

GM SHOULD care less what's hooked up to their car. The choice of OS for the device should have NO bearing on what the car interfaces with.

All the attacks are going to do nothing in here. Super childish BS that you can get on all the phone specific forums. If you want to spout all the cons of the other devices I suggest you take it there.

Honestly, the Cobalt SS forum is more mature.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Originally Posted by r1owner
GM SHOULD care less what's hooked up to their car. The choice of OS for the device should have NO bearing on what the car interfaces with.

All the attacks are going to do nothing in here. Super childish BS that you can get on all the phone specific forums. If you want to spout all the cons of the other devices I suggest you take it there.

Honestly, the Cobalt SS forum is more mature.
I missed the CORVETTE comment your are asking about?
Old 07-20-2013, 06:02 PM
r1owner
Racer

Originally Posted by Gr8Wht
I missed the CORVETTE comment your are asking about?
? Not sure what you're asking, but I mean ALL of GM's cars should be agnostic to the device hooked up.

Quick Reply: New Apple iCar in C7?