New GM Offer

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Default New GM Offer

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...103/1148/rss25

GM to Offer Internet Access in most "15 models.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

That great, now people can surf the web in addition to texting, talking on their cell phones, eating, and putting on makeup while driving...
Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 PM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

"But it's okay because I'm using hands-free systems..."

NOT!

http://www.webmd.com/balance/news/20...driving-report
Old 06-13-2013, 08:25 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

At what cost?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 PM
evilmonkey
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
That great, now people can surf the web in addition to texting, talking on their cell phones, eating, and putting on makeup while driving...
I'd be surprised if you could surf the web while underway...

Seems to me this is a little late in the game since you can already do everything you need from your smartphone anyway.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6

^ Don't forget, smoking, reading the paper, programming the GPS, polishing the nails and cleaning their hand gun
Old 06-13-2013, 09:09 PM
hokiebus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait til somebodys kid gets wraped around a tree. DUMB!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you all do not own a car made in this century. You will not be able to access it while in motion for liability reasons with your hands for obvious reasons. It will be voice controlled while driving and a tablet while you are not in motion. It will probably be made so that you can send and recieve texts and phone calls with voice activation and of course you will also be able to get internet radio and live traffic updates with your navigation.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by evilmonkey
I'd be surprised if you could surf the web while underway...

Seems to me this is a little late in the game since you can already do everything you need from your smartphone anyway.
With a hotspot it is FREE UNLIMITED
Old 06-13-2013, 10:44 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GN1270
I guess you all do not own a car made in this century. You will not be able to access it while in motion for liability reasons with your hands for obvious reasons. It will be voice controlled while driving and a tablet while you are not in motion. It will probably be made so that you can send and recieve texts and phone calls with voice activation and of course you will also be able to get internet radio and live traffic updates with your navigation.
Steam power rocks !!! And just wait till you see our new communication technology . . . we're calling it 'A Printing Press'
Old 06-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

If GM wants to sell cars they will have to keep up with what people want. Those under 30 take all of the tech stuff as normal every day items. It can be unsafe. Then a 185 top end and 0-60 under 4 seconds can be dangerous as well.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 AM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

<sarcasm>
Sometimes, stereotypes are earned... So get off my lawn with all your internet connectivity crap.
</sarcasm>
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 PM
hokiebus
Instructor

Quote:

Its not the century Bro - its plain dumb! Why do u need an internet connection, texting etc. Ur supposed to be driving a sweet machine and enjoying it. What else do you do behind the wheel besides keeping hands at ten & two, constantly scanning the horizon and mirrors, and keeping a safe following distance (trademarks of a safe driver)? Eating a cheeseburger, texting and blasting Lady Gaga are all trademarks of everyone else. Are you looking for technology to assist you, or are you putting it on yourself to modify your habits? I ask you multitasking or safety? While safety may be first in everyone’s minds, it’s typically last on everyone’s to-do list, which is why distractions get people in trouble.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Being in cyber security, this is one of the things that scares me the most; completely internet reachable cars.

Since our cars are all electronic now, including the gas and break peddle and now steering wheel, its only a mater of time until we get viruses in our cars. And a short time after that until someone hacks the car and can control it from a laptop.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Being in cyber security, this is one of the things that scares me the most; completely internet reachable cars.

Since our cars are all electronic now, including the gas and break peddle and now steering wheel, its only a mater of time until we get viruses in our cars. And a short time after that until someone hacks the car and can control it from a laptop.

You really didn't say "break peddle" & advise you're in the Cyber Security business both in the same posting did ya . . . . .
Old 06-14-2013, 10:47 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

As you well understand you need a conduit (i.e. two way communications) to access and control a system, one, is not activating On-star, another is pulling the fuse. however the other access method could be some form of WiFi but then you need to be in range. Anyone with knowledge can cripple external communications, be it just shutting it off, spoofing or just some form of ECM. Not really worried at this point in time
Old 06-15-2013, 12:24 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
^ Don't forget, smoking, reading the paper, programming the GPS, polishing the nails and cleaning their hand gun
You forgot the best distraction of all - getting some "oral stimulation"......

Get notified of new replies

To New GM Offer

Old 06-15-2013, 01:55 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

I don't see the efficacy of have two internet connections, and service plans, and cost, in one car, one for my phone, and one for the car. I just need my smart phone screen to show up on the dash.

Michael
Old 06-15-2013, 02:13 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I want a Sport-a-potty seat for those long cruises. With a carbon fiber t.p. roll.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:42 AM
Gregory
Heel & Toe

Sorry man, there are already ways to break into the remote access like OnStar. Similarly, Bluetooth is hack-able from fifty-plus feet away.

Now, there are probably going to be options from Apple for iPad like devices to replace the factory radio/navigation systems.

Quick Reply: New GM Offer