Sponsored by:

Keeping painted calipers clean?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 PM
paul 56
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Keeping painted calipers clean?

I've got my order in, but there's still time for me to change it. My order is a blade silver Z51 with painted silver wheels, and WITHOUT painted calipers, as I prefer subdued rather than flashy. Having said that, the painted calipers are growing on me, and I think red ones would look pretty good with my options. I'll use my car as a daily driver and track it at Willow Springs about 4 times a year. For those with experience, how difficult will it be to keep painted calipers clean?

My 2005 C6 Z51 is used just like I plan on using my C7, and the unpainted calipers on my metallic silver C6 have never been cleaned with anything other than just hosing it off as I clean the wheels. And they look pretty good with the silver paint and polished aluminum wheels.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

That depends on how **** you are about wheel/caliper cleanliness. To me, they are no harder to clean than the wheels, but they certainly take more than just "hosing it off".
Old 06-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The standard Z-51 calipers are black (as I ordered mine). I'm thinking they will be easy to keep clean. Red and Yellow, not so much. Once you do the switch to ceramic brake pads you get far less brake dust. That always helps.

I imagine more people will speak up about how much work it takes to keep the C6 colored calipers clean, it should be about the same on the C7.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:28 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Yellow Calipers with silver,,, IMHO
Old 06-14-2013, 07:57 PM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by paul 56
I've got my order in, but there's still time for me to change it. My order is a blade silver Z51 with painted silver wheels, and WITHOUT painted calipers, as I prefer subdued rather than flashy. Having said that, the painted calipers are growing on me, and I think red ones would look pretty good with my options. I'll use my car as a daily driver and track it at Willow Springs about 4 times a year. For those with experience, how difficult will it be to keep painted calipers clean?

My 2005 C6 Z51 is used just like I plan on using my C7, and the unpainted calipers on my metallic silver C6 have never been cleaned with anything other than just hosing it off as I clean the wheels. And they look pretty good with the silver paint and polished aluminum wheels.
I have yellow painted calipers from the factory on my 2012 Grand Sport. Like anything, the key is to keep up with them and not let them get too much buildup. I clean them as I wash my car weekly with just a sponge and the regular car wash solution I use on the wheels and the rest of the car. There is usually a wheel spoke in the way of getting every bit of the caliper each time, but it is in a different spot every week, so you can keep them looking pretty darn good overall.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Pressure wash when I wash the body. Then I usually take off the wheels once a month to get to the entire caliper and fender wells.

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping painted calipers clean?

Quick Reply: Keeping painted calipers clean?