Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon To Be C7 Owner Getting Bashed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Get what makes you happy and dont worry what others think unless they are paying for it! No car is perfect and every car is going to get knocked around, more so on forums.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Funny thing will happen to you once you bring it home, to work, etc. Everyone will ask you for a ride in it!!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Kingspoke
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I ridden Harley's exclusively (just love Harleys) for 35 years so I've taken a lot of ribbing by non-Harley riders, but now people pretty much accept the credo "ride what you like".

In regards to the Vette (I'm 1st time buyer), I've gotten nothing but compliments everywhere I go. Most know a Vette is a race quality sports car and will temper their comments.

Last edited by Kingspoke; 06-10-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:39 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Haters - many around. The Vette is American tradition, a legend. Besides that fact that is the best bang for the buck, it happens to be a great car...one that you will certainly want to drive it as often as you can. Never mind what others think - or the fact that many are simply motivated by jealousy, enjoy your purchase and the **** faced grin you'll get each time you hammer it!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:45 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by jasnusc
I will be purchasing an Arctic White Base Model with Black Wheels, Carbon Flash Paint, Black Interior C7 and this will be my 1st Corvette.

I have been interested in Corvettes since I was a kid with my favorite being the 63 Split Window which seems to have inspired the C7 design. The C6 is the first modern Vette I considered buying and the C7 has blown me away.

The reason for my thread is the negative reactions I have recieved from almost every co-worker, friend and family member I have told! Being in the industry I was already familiar with some of the slams against "Corvette Guys" but now that I am experiencing it firsthand it seems to be even larger than I realized. I'm already hearing all the Corvette jokes and I havent even bought the car yet.

No I am not going to let their comments dissuade me from my decision to purchase one and, based on what I have read, I can easily debate the quality and performance of this particular version of the Vette.

I'm 35 years old, most of my family and friends work on cars, work at dealers, ride Harleys, drive hot rods, support american made, etc... so I would assume I am in the prime demographic arent I?

Just wondered what feedback you current owners have about what I can anticipate in the years to come being a Vette owner?

Because most of them wish they could get one. It's viewed as an extravagance by a lot of people. It's more expensive than their toys. For the most part. It's a two seater. If someone has a problem with it, it's their problem not yours. Buy it, drive, and enjoy the years to come.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Congrats on your C7 decision!

Unfortunately, even a few jealous C6 guys (or those who say they are C6 owners) are proving themselves real clods to future C7 owners here in CF7. So bottom line is you never know where the negativity will come from. Just ignore them and enjoy your C7 Corvette!
This comment was completely uncalled for. Next thing you will be making comments about the Porsche guys. Give it a rest.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:02 PM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,356 Likes on 1,063 Posts

First, congratulations on ordering a new Vette. I am looking forward to buying a C7 myself. I am still deciding between Artic White and Torch Red, and possibly Cyber Gray. I am a big fan of Artic White Vettes. I have owned two Artic White Vettes in the past. I am on my second Torch Red Vette. So I guess I am partial to Artic White and Torch Red.

I bought my first Vette at age 36 and it was Artic White. Virtually all the comments I have received during the past 16 years have been 100% positive and almost always nothing but praise for the Vette. I bet I get 5 compliments each week from total strangers. I really don't remember ever receiving a negative comment or a snide remark.

I work for a large national general contractor (construction). I drive my Vette to the jobsites, so you would think I would get some comments about it. And I do, and they have always been positive.

I didn't buy my Vettes to receive positive comments, praise, or have the look at me attitude. I bought them because they are great cars and a blast to drive. I could not care less what others think.

I drive my Vette every day. I hope you drive yours often and thoroughly enjoy it. I guarantee you will. And I bet it is not your last one.

Heres to you supporting the American economy, buying what you like, and to many happy times with your Vette.

Last edited by bigblock427; 06-11-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 PM
cmdrwill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BPhillyc7
This is my first vette and I feel nothing put pride finally buying an American car I can be proud of. Screw what they think...it's either ignorance or jealousy. Enjoy life...it's too short.
100%
Old 06-10-2013, 09:14 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock427
First, congratulations on ordering a new Vette. I am looking forward to buying a C7 myself. I am still deciding between Artic White and Torch Red, and possibly Cyber Gray. I am a big fan of Artic White Vettes. I have owned two Artic White Vettes in the past. I am on my second Torch Red Vette. So I guess I am partial to Artic White and Torch Red.

I bought my first Vette at age 36 and it was Artic White. Virtually all the comments I have received during the past 16 years have been 100% positive and almost always nothing but praise for the Vette. I bet I get 5 compliments each week from total strangers. I really don't remember ever receiving a negative comment or a snide remark.

I work for a large national general contractor (construction). I drive my Vette to the jobsites, so you would think I would get some comments about it. And I do, and they have always been positive.

I didn't buy my Vettes to receive positive comments, praise, or have the look at me attitude. I bought them because they are great cars and a blast to drive. I could not care less what others think.

I drive my Vette every day. I hope you drive yours often and thoroughly enjoy it. I guaranteed you will. And I bet it is not your last one.

Here to you supporting the American economy, buying what you like, and to many happy times with your Vette.
VERY well said.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it for status, and you can catch sneers for buying many cars out there. Do it for yourself, and you can't go wrong.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryKen
As with most things in life, you'll find a wide variety of reactions and understanding.

People love to make the classic jokes about "midlife crisis" and "compensation for a small *****." I've never understood why these don't seem to be applied to other performance cars. Those are the same as ethnic jokes... They can be said as friendly ribbing all in fun, or they can be spiteful and mean-spirited. And there's not much you can do to change someone else's perspective.

I have received sneers and negative comments about being a gas guzzling street-racing yahoo. People are shocked when I tell them what the mileage can be on a Vette. They are also shocked when they see what you can get in the trunk. And they are shocked to learn that the car works very well as an all-around transportation device... Not just a street racer.

One of the best ways to overcome the prejudices is to take your detractors out for a drive.
^^ I would take that as a compliment
Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I will be purchasing an Arctic White Base Model with Black Wheels, Carbon Flash Paint, Black Interior C7 and this will be my 1st Corvette.

I have been interested in Corvettes since I was a kid with my favorite being the 63 Split Window which seems to have inspired the C7 design. The C6 is the first modern Vette I considered buying and the C7 has blown me away.

The reason for my thread is the negative reactions I have recieved from almost every co-worker, friend and family member I have told! Being in the industry I was already familiar with some of the slams against "Corvette Guys" but now that I am experiencing it firsthand it seems to be even larger than I realized. I'm already hearing all the Corvette jokes and I havent even bought the car yet.

No I am not going to let their comments dissuade me from my decision to purchase one and, based on what I have read, I can easily debate the quality and performance of this particular version of the Vette.

I'm 35 years old, most of my family and friends work on cars, work at dealers, ride Harleys, drive hot rods, support american made, etc... so I would assume I am in the prime demographic arent I?

Just wondered what feedback you current owners have about what I can anticipate in the years to come being a Vette owner?

Two words come to mind. Envy and Jealousy. I've lost respect for a family member and a "friend" because of their constant bashing regarding my ownership of Corvettes.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 PM
rcooper
Safety Car

Received 676 Likes on 480 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Here is a positive for you, while traveling in Colorado last summer west of Denver on I 70, stopped at a rest area, a young man ( 25 ish ) from Check Republic said he loved Corvettes and was having a great time in the U.S. seeing them on the road. I asked if he would like a ride, thought he was going to wet his pants, so asking his grandparents if he could ride and getting the ok, and throwing my wife out of the car, we went on a 35-40 minute ride on a twisty off the interstate. So enjoy your new ride, there are many who would love to be in your shoes.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Duro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryKen
People love to make the classic jokes about "midlife crisis" and "compensation for a small *****."
Next time someone says that just say "If your that jealous of the car wait till you see this" And reach for your zipper.

Last edited by Duro; 06-10-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:06 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
This comment was completely uncalled for. Next thing you will be making comments about the Porsche guys. Give it a rest.
"Unfortunately, even a few jealous C6 guys (or those who say they are C6 owners) are proving themselves real clods to future C7 owners here in CF7. So bottom line is you never know where the negativity will come from. Just ignore them and enjoy your C7 Corvette!"

I'd expect it from Porsche and Viper guys...
Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 PM
CaptainChet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, never a negative comment about either my C5 or C6. The only negative is the idiot on the road who thinks he's faster. He's only faster when I allow him to be faster...(snicker)
Old 06-11-2013, 12:01 AM
Vegas Sam
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 97 Posts

Buy what you like, screw everyone else, even Blue O.

I've been blessed to have purchased my 1st Vette back in 93, a base 71 Stingray. Since then I've had 5 Vettes, 3 Vipers, and several Mustangs, including a Boss 302. Enjoy your new toy, the hell with them all.
The C7 seems to have brought out the worst in some here, more so than the launch of the C6.

Last edited by Vegas Sam; 06-11-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Soon To Be C7 Owner Getting Bashed!

Old 06-11-2013, 12:12 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts

its cuz they know a slightly modded vette can out do a lot of cars out there and mod for mod it is damn hard to beat. Ask them to go stock vs stock or mod for mod and see who has the smiles. Its like a co worker I had that had a prelude. he said he could make it faster than my car and I said not mod for mod. No replacement for displacement.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,960 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Wait until you roll up in your C7 that looks like a supercar, and then see what their response is. I bet you won't be hearing any negativity then.

Michael
Old 06-11-2013, 12:40 AM
pmonag
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 37 and this will be my first Vette too.

Most co-workers do make jokes. Telling me I need to grow my stache and the like...

Oh well, I love the car so who cares

Quick Reply: Soon To Be C7 Owner Getting Bashed!