Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FE4: Another Magnetic Selective Ride Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:14 PM
C7 4 Me
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a pretty resounding "GET IT." Thanks guys, I won't cut costs there.

Someone said to cut the NPP (performance exhaust). Thoughts on that? Has anyone seen a comparison of what the smaller stock pipes look like compared to the performance pipes? I was thinking that a factory installed mechanical exhaust system like the NPP is a decent buy even though it's only 6 extra HP.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Well, I love the OEM bi-mode exhaust on the ZR1 (w/M2W switch installed), and my aforementioned '09 coupe
had the NPP option. The sound with the flaps open is just great...

I realize it's easy for us to spend your money...
Old 06-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me

Someone said to cut the NPP (performance exhaust). Thoughts on that? Has anyone seen a comparison of what the smaller stock pipes look like compared to the performance pipes? I was thinking that a factory installed mechanical exhaust system like the NPP is a decent buy even though it's only 6 extra HP.
I would keep your car the way you have it now:
z51, 2LT, NPP (exhaust), FE4 (mag suspension), caliper coloring, black wheels, 6-speed automatic.

NPP is worth it IMO and is not just about the extra HP.
Same with the Mag ride,.. it not just about a better ride.
It's the most advanced Handling suspension there is for all around use, including Track.
And now with the C7, as already mentioned, it has 7 different ride and handling setting All incorporated to act in concert with the NPP and the Mag Ride

You won't regret spending the extra money if you get everything on your list.
But you will regret not getting one of those options after the fact
Old 06-04-2013, 01:55 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Z51 would be the first priority to me, while FE4 would come in a strong second.

Nobody has mentioned this here...but you also get PTM with the MRC shocks, and I think people on this forum are forgetting all about that. PTM will be outstanding. It made Justin Bell a faster driver for crying out loud.

I'd also REALLY want HUD too.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 4 Me

Yep. I've never heard anything bad about Mag Suspension.

As for NPP, you won't notice any sort of performance difference at all. It's all aesthetics and noise. It does make the car sound better at wide open throttle. But it's totally a personal preference sort of thing. You can skip it and save some money. I would definitely take the mag ride over the NPP.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 AM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Yep. I've never heard anything bad about Mag Suspension.

As for NPP, you won't notice any sort of performance difference at all. It's all aesthetics and noise. It does make the car sound better at wide open throttle. But it's totally a personal preference sort of thing. You can skip it and save some money. I would definitely take the mag ride over the NPP.
Yep. NPP is just GMs way to try to get some money from people who just want a better sound, and would have some t that money on a catback. NPP also has the nice option of being adjustable, but you'll never feel 5 HP on a 450 HP car.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 AM
CJJ
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill17601
In my opinion. Drop the NPP. Very little to gain for that amount of money. Get the FE4. If you decide in a year or two you want the exhaust buy the after market units. Just as good same result as factory.
exactly what I was going to say. Drop the NPP. Im getting all the OP is getting but no NPP and yes to MSR. I will be getting an even better exhaust when Borla / Corsa come out with one. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:32 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

If your spending the money for a new c7....it's about the performance, the look, the feel (MRC) and the sound...NPP..

MRC is 1800... NPP is 1200... Since you asked for opinions...that 3 grand is well spent on yourself and continuing over the life of the vehicle ...

You ve got to be over 60 grand...the extra 5 % is money well spent..
Old 06-04-2013, 09:41 AM
BPhillyc8
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
If your spending the money for a new c7....it's about the performance, the look, the feel (MRC) and the sound...NPP..

MRC is 1800... NPP is 1200... Since you asked for opinions...that 3 grand is well spent on yourself and continuing over the life of the vehicle ...

You ve got to be over 60 grand...the extra 5 % is money well spent..
Agreed. I am doing just that.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:51 PM
Unsprung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the thing:

For a production car, the magnetically-adjustable suspension slated for the C7 is the most versatile and the most intelligent damping and suspension management system in the world.

Versions of this system are installed in some of the finest and most outrageously expensive supercars and luxury GTs known to Man. And it all started with a General Motors subsidiary called Delphi.

If automobile suppliers could produce this system at a low cost, we would see magnetically-adjustable suspensions on almost EVERY car. It's that good. It's not a cosmetic thing; it utterly transforms the driving experience.

So... I agree with the guys above: the magnetic suspension is worth paying for. And if the price is too much, well, then maybe it's better to pick up a low-mileage used C7 in two years or so.

Just my two cents.

And the only exception I'd make is if I was a frequent competitor in need of a racing-grade, always-on suspension for the track.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:47 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

NPP also gives you (4) 4" exhaust tips, whereas without it all (4) tips are 3" in diameter.

And, seconding many of the above posts about how great MSRC is, every Ferrari now leaves the factory with GM's generation II MSRC.

The C7 debuts the much improved generation III MSRC system. The new system has two coils introducing electric fields into the shocks, allowing quicker activation of the damping and even more important, allows the electrically induced force field to dissipate much quicker --softening up the shocks much, much faster when conditions warrant. According to GM's hot-shoe Jim Mero, gen III magnetorheological shocks are a huge improvement over the gen II mr shocks.

Last edited by elegant; 06-04-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The Z51 will have Magnetic Ride for a softer ride in Tour, but it will also have (probably) stiffer springs, stiffer sways, and lower-profile tires.

When you add it all up, the base model might have a softer ride than the Z51 Mag Ride in Tour, or not. Only GM knows, and they ain't tellin' yet.

The only way to make an informed decision will be to test drive both setups on the same bumpy road.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:16 AM
CCDawg69
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Yep.

Unless you are the type to drive your Vette only to church on Sundays.. I dont understand why people will pay for the NPP option, but wont pay for the FE4 option. There are lots of quality aftermarket bolt on exhaust systems that are easy to install, sound better and dont have on/off switched sound of the NPP. I'll take Corsa over NPP every single time.. even if NPP is cheaper and factory installed.

Yep.

It gives a double benefit. The street ride will be softer than the standard setup. The performance/track ride will be firmer than the standard setup. Actually make that a triple benefit as it includes the 5-selector driving **** to adjust 12 different settings on the car for any situation you'd drive it in. Its literally a win-win-win. This is the same technology that Ferrari copies from GM and pays royalties to GM for using. Just think about that for a second. If its good enough for Ferrari.. its good enough for you. The price is a no brainer.
I can turn the NPP system on and off, exactly why I'm buying it. Wish I had a nickel for every complaint about headaches from the constant drone of after market exhausts that I've read on these forums.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 AM
0-60B4U
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The Z51 will have Magnetic Ride for a softer ride in Tour, but it will also have (probably) stiffer springs, stiffer sways, and lower-profile tires.

When you add it all up, the base model might have a softer ride than the Z51 Mag Ride in Tour, or not. Only GM knows, and they ain't tellin' yet.

The only way to make an informed decision will be to test drive both setups on the same bumpy road.
I thought the Mag Shocks were an option even on the Z51 package?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 AM
0-60B4U
Racer

Default Cost of mag shocks

Has anyone had to replace a Mag Shock after warranty? Back in 2003 a Dealer informed me that they cost $1,700 each! Has that cost changed?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-60B4U
I thought the Mag Shocks were an option even on the Z51 package?
So far the MSRC is an option ONLY on the Z51 package.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Yep! and kind of disappointed with that...

Get notified of new replies

To FE4: Another Magnetic Selective Ride Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:29 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
Yep! and kind of disappointed with that...
I agree...kinda short sided. My '05 vert has it although I'm sure the new version is way better now.

I really wonder how much of that is because they have so integrated the eLSD, tires, and MSRC to work together with the various Driver Modes.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:38 AM
0-60B4U
Racer

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Yeah, I knew that. I was responding to Gearhead Jim who seemed to indicate that MSRC was STANDARD on the Z51.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:50 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by 0-60B4U
Yeah, I knew that. I was responding to Gearhead Jim who seemed to indicate that MSRC was STANDARD on the Z51.
I didn't mention the non-MSRC setup on the Z51 because the OP was looking a soft ride in a DD.

Quick Reply: FE4: Another Magnetic Selective Ride Thread