Sponsored by:

Have the HP numbers changed your buying decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 12:35 AM
vant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Qiucker than you're C7.....thats right, you dont have one!
Sure I could smoke your Charger too!
What is "you're" purpose here anyway?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:36 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Steamrollers!!
Remember, Girth is good. Needles are bad!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Remember, Girth is good. Needles are bad!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Phimosis
Advanced

Originally Posted by haveblue
No, it hasn't changed my opinion. The numbers are a big upgrade from what I'm currently driving and I'm grateful for that.

I think when the magazines and CF members get their hands on the car, the big revelation won't be numbers, it will be a car that drives smaller and feels more nimble. 911 type feel with V8 type shove will be great if it happens. That's what I want.

Never mind the histrionic CF members. The people bothered by numbers are really just a different type of poser. They aren't racing professionally. They won't use their cars to put food on the table. They don't line up on the weekend against other guys for a paycheck. GM didn't derail their promising racing careers with the C7. It's still just alot of wanking at the end of the day

You're way off base here. The people that are racing professionally aren't using showroom stock vehicles, unless they're in the small minority that are racing in the showroom stock class. To the racer, the hp number doesn't make as much difference because they are going to mod the car in a way that voids factory warranties, signigicantly shortens the life span of the engine and doesn't meet emissions requirements. For the sports car enthusiast that wants a fast car for weekend drives on twisty roads and wants to do occasional track days, the hp number is very important, but that is in the context of keeping the car smog legal and without voiding the warranty.

If the hp number wasn't important, that would imply that accelleration and top speed isn't important. After all, that is what more hp gives you, right? If the hp number wasn't iomportant, we would all just go out and buy the good looking, great handling, but underpowered Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS for $28,000.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 AM
icyteddy
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

405 in 2001 to 455 in 2014 is not a good thing!
Well, you are comparing a C5 Z06 to a C7 Stingray..NOT a Z06. It was 2002 when the C5 Z06 was at 405Hp. A better comparing 2002 C5 Z06 405Hp to 2006 C6 Z06 505Hp. 100Hp in 4 years..that's pretty good to me. Let's see with the C7 Z06.

Originally Posted by ck9887
Not to mention, the C5Z was 200 lbs lighter...

Being light was the main advantage the Corvette had over some of it's competition... Not anymore
Again..not a fair comparision. Better comparison is C6 Z06 although it added a little more weight but is much faster. I do believe the C7 Z06..if they decide to make one..it will also be the lightest C7...just as history has shown the Z06 model was the lightest of all the corvette model starting from the C5 and up.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:56 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Phimosis
You're way off base here. The people that are racing professionally aren't using showroom stock vehicles, unless they're in the small minority that are racing in the showroom stock class. To the racer, the hp number doesn't make as much difference because they are going to mod the car in a way that voids factory warranties, signigicantly shortens the life span of the engine and doesn't meet emissions requirements. For the sports car enthusiast that wants a fast car for weekend drives on twisty roads and wants to do occasional track days, the hp number is very important, but that is in the context of keeping the car smog legal and without voiding the warranty.

If the hp number wasn't important, that would imply that accelleration and top speed isn't important. After all, that is what more hp gives you, right? If the hp number wasn't iomportant, we would all just go out and buy the good looking, great handling, but underpowered Subaru BRZ/Scion FRS for $28,000.
I would guess that the acceleration numbers for the C7 will be more than acceptable.
S.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:03 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

GM Said 450/450 so higher on the base car is not bad.
Surprised the Engine is not E85 complient.
Jordon Lee details on LT1 V-8 engine
Old 05-29-2013, 01:04 AM
Phimosis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kappa
There's a good bit of difference between 350/290 and 455/460. Even the S is only putting out 400/325. Pretty simikar to what we'll see with the C7, maybe a bit lighter than the Z51 version. The last 991S Road and Track tested came in at 3309 without a driver.

The Viper is about the same, I forgot about that car. Have to remember that both cars are $100K+ though. It still has weight advantage over the R8, F-Type, GT-R, GT500, ZL1, RS5, C63...

In comparison, the Corvette is still not heavy at all for its power/torque output.

According to Porsche's web site, curb weight on the 400hp 911 S with PDK and sport chrono is 3,120 and 0-60 is 3.9 seconds. According to the press release with Corvette pricing, the C7 curb weight is 3,298 pounds without the Z51 package, which is 90 pounds heavier than the 2013 C6 coupe’s 3,208-pound curb weight.

With the extra coolers, diff lock and larger wheels and tires, the track worthy Z51 Corvette is easily going to weigh 250 lbs more than a 911 S. When Cevrolet said their performance target was the 911 S, they really meant it. It will take a 60 hp advantage for the heavier and slower shifting Corvette to keep up with a 911 S.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:11 AM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

When they said 450hp I definitely wasn't going to buy one, and now that they confirmed that I am really glad that I bought my 4LT GS coupe for $20k off MSRP
Slow Vette
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Then why do you want E85 so bad if you wont use what you have?
good one
Phimosis
Advanced

The specs I pulled showed the 991 Carrera S weighing in at 3100 lbs, so not sure what source is correct. But it is an example of a car that has added a bunch of tech and still shed weight from the previous gen.

And for the Viper being about the same weight with roughly 200 more HP is pretty impressive. Keep in mind that when the HI-PO C7 comes out, if it's in the 600HP range, we are going to be talking probably close to 200lb in added weight... Now we are in the 3500-3600lb range. Unacceptable for any Corvette in my book.
In a recent Motor Trend article, they stated the 2013 Viper was 30 lbs heavier than the C6 ZR1 at 3,380 lbs vs 3,350. If there is a 90 lb weight gain from C6 to C7 base model cars, then a C7 ZR1 will be no more than 3,440, although I would expect them to find additional ways to shave weight from teh Z06 and ZR1 versions to make them competetive with the European sports cars.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
When they said 450hp I definitely wasn't going to buy one, and now that they confirmed that I am really glad that I bought my 4LT GS coupe for $20k off MSRP
Thanks for reminding us for about the 12th time.
FYI, there are lots of dealers out there with lots of leftover '13 GSs and I doubt most of the serious C7 buyers have any interest in one, even at fire-sale pricing.
S.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:22 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

How can anyone compare a C7 HP & weight to a 911S or even a Viper. Both of those cars have a starting MSRP 99k+ If GM raised the price in order to get you higher HP & lower weight would you be happy?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:44 AM
Phimosis
Advanced

Originally Posted by fasttoys
How can anyone compare a C7 HP & weight to a 911S or even a Viper. Both of those cars have a starting MSRP 99k+ If GM raised the price in order to get you higher HP & lower weight would you be happy?
The original post where this sub-thread came from said "show me a lighter car in the C7's hp class." So Porche and the Viper came up. The argument wasn't about price. If you throw price in, then we are just rehashing the "best sports car for the price" argument. :-)

And would I be happy if GM raised the price in order to get more horsepower and lower weight? YES PLEASE! I'd like a C7 Z06 now! I'm reluctantly considering buy a Z51 C7 because I don't want to wait until 2015, but I would prefer a car in the league of the Z06, GTR, 911 GT3, etc. Having a $75,000 Z06 in the 2014 line up, next to the $52,000 base model would be ideal. Posche has it right when they release the 911 and 911 S on the same model year, then come out with the GT3 and turbo later.

Last edited by Phimosis; 05-29-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:10 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You're right, it isn't just about HP. But again, if the C6 Z will outperform the C7 on the track then the C6 Z has more than just big HP. Based on your logic, I think you would be happier in something like a C63 AMG... lots of refinement and still enough power for your needs.

And I'll gladly take the Z06 badge any day. It will still stand out several years from now and still be somewhat exclusive. The C7 will be on every street corner and will only be cool for the first six months.
I don't like Mercedes. The Corvette is the total package to me. I like the refinements of the C7. That's the bonus but also the attraction. I've been driving a C5 Z06 for 4 years. I'm ready for a new car. The C7 makes more power, handles better, has better technology and better interior than my C5Zs ever had, even after mods. So the upgrade makes sense.

Did I drive my Z06 hard? Yes. Did I run it to red line a lot? Yes. Does that mean I should buy a Mercedes? Not at all. It just means that the C7 will have a lot more refinement. I could EASILY afford a C6 Z06. But I don't want one. I can make up that extra 40HP with some minor mods and tuning if that mattered that much. And honestly, 40HP isn't really a lot. And the weight isn't a big deal too. Minor mods, E85 and tuning should make up for all of it if I ever really needed to match a stock C6 Z06.

And sure, I know the "badge" is a status symbol. Welcome to the club. Lots of people were so "wowed" by the Z06 badge on the side of my Corvettes. Even had some dumb kid try to tell me my Z06 was a "clone" and he knew it because he was a car salesman at one time. (Derp)

Yeah, again, don't really care. I didn't buy my cars for "status". I bought them because I love driving sports cars.

Still think I should buy a Mercedes?

Then why do you want E85 so bad if you wont use what you have?
2 reasons:

1) If you paid any attention to any of the other E85 discussions I've been involved in, you'd see I actually care about the environment. And unlike many people on this forum, I believe 97% of the worlds scientists over conservative politicians when it comes to climate change.

2) Because when I want that power, it's there. Plain and simple.

16 city, 26 hwy. Same way we found about about the 460 hp, 465 lb/ft numbers: GM press release.
OH!!! Amazing! You found a hidden press release. Please, share a link. Because everyone else who's been paying attention have heard that the MPG "SURPASSES" 26 MPG highway. But, just like those people who said "450/450 are the numbers" since they didn't pay attention either, you're getting this wrong.

Lets do some deductive reasoning:
Direct injection, Variable Valve Timing, better aerodynamics, narrower tires, higher gearing for a 3rd overdrive, and Active Fuel Management.
You SERIOUSLY think those are the numbers?
Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vant
What is "you're" purpose here anyway?
To improve my grammer!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 AM
haveblue
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For the sports car enthusiast that wants a fast car for weekend drives on twisty roads and wants to do occasional track days, the hp number is very important, but that is in the context of keeping the car smog legal and without voiding the warranty.

Well said and I agree with you. BRZ/FRS are great cars and HP is important. Which is why I'm cool with the numbers. We may get a better handling (BRZ-like) base corvette with more HP over the last gen. I'd rather have a car with a moderate HP bump and a huge upgrade in feel than one with bigger numbers and worse feel. Isn't that Porsche's magic recipe?

So until the driving reviews come in, I'm not bothered by the number not being at Veyron levels. Right now, it's just digits.

Get notified of new replies

To Have the HP numbers changed your buying decision

Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I don't like Mercedes. The Corvette is the total package to me. I like the refinements of the C7. That's the bonus but also the attraction. I've been driving a C5 Z06 for 4 years. I'm ready for a new car. The C7 makes more power, handles better, has better technology and better interior than my C5Zs ever had, even after mods. So the upgrade makes sense.

Did I drive my Z06 hard? Yes. Did I run it to red line a lot? Yes. Does that mean I should buy a Mercedes? Not at all. It just means that the C7 will have a lot more refinement. I could EASILY afford a C6 Z06. But I don't want one. I can make up that extra 40HP with some minor mods and tuning if that mattered that much. And honestly, 40HP isn't really a lot. And the weight isn't a big deal too. Minor mods, E85 and tuning should make up for all of it if I ever really needed to match a stock C6 Z06.

And sure, I know the "badge" is a status symbol. Welcome to the club. Lots of people were so "wowed" by the Z06 badge on the side of my Corvettes. Even had some dumb kid try to tell me my Z06 was a "clone" and he knew it because he was a car salesman at one time. (Derp)

Yeah, again, don't really care. I didn't buy my cars for "status". I bought them because I love driving sports cars.

Still think I should buy a Mercedes?

2 reasons:

1) If you paid any attention to any of the other E85 discussions I've been involved in, you'd see I actually care about the environment. And unlike many people on this forum, I believe 97% of the worlds scientists over conservative politicians when it comes to climate change.

2) Because when I want that power, it's there. Plain and simple.

OH!!! Amazing! You found a hidden press release. Please, share a link. Because everyone else who's been paying attention have heard that the MPG "SURPASSES" 26 MPG highway. But, just like those people who said "450/450 are the numbers" since they didn't pay attention either, you're getting this wrong.

Lets do some deductive reasoning:
Direct injection, Variable Valve Timing, better aerodynamics, narrower tires, higher gearing for a 3rd overdrive, and Active Fuel Management.
You SERIOUSLY think those are the numbers?
If you really cared about the enviroment you would buy a Volt!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:19 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you really cared about the enviroment you would buy a Volt!
Yeah. I'd have no place to charge it.

Otherwise I'd buy a Tesla.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 AM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

So ya, you'd be dumb to get rid of your C6 Z for a C7
One more dummy here. I am half Polish, must be the top half.

Quick Reply: Have the HP numbers changed your buying decision