C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now that we know the hp number is low why does everyone think they will up the power?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
Really thanks for the laugh I needed that tonight

Hopefully GM has solved the AFM issues with their engines because if not there are going to be a lot of pissed posters around this forum next year. And as far as modding the LT1 it won't be easy like the LS3 - like pulling the cylinder heads to do a cam install. Finally you get that awesome 4 cylinder DOD drone that sounds like a 4 cylinder Honda when it kicks in and you have headers on the car.

But don't worry I will enjoy hammering the C7's when I run into them on the street in my slow LS3
Derp!

I'm glad you figured out all on your lonesome all the issues that will happen in the future. It's like you have a crystal ball and junk.

The C7 won't have drone unless you mod the mufflers. I guess I won't have to worry about that.

They said they have a completely new PCV system, so the AFM issues likely won't exist. Nor will there be carbon build up issues.

And exactly what makes a LT1 any more difficult to mod than an LS3? An extra cover over the intake manifold? What, do you think there's extra cams or something? LOL It's still a pushrod small block V8. It should be no different from bolting on stuff to an LS3 in a Camaro or G8. Even doing heads should be about the same.

All this silly troll-like denial. Oh, and since the LT1's ECU is already cracked, give it a month or two and you'll see tune-only 480+ HP C7s trolling your area soon. Intake, headers, tune and you're done.

Enjoy getting spanked.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Phimosis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Except for the fact that at 6000 RPM, the LT1's torque has dropped to 400 lb-ft and still falling as the RPM climbs whereas the LS7's torque is still at 470 lb-ft at 6,200 RPM. At 6,600 RPM the LT1's torque is non existent as it just hit the rev limiter and lost all power and the LS7 still has another 500 RPM to make power.
Uhm no. Your math is wrong. 470 lb/ft torque at 6,200 rpm would be 555 hp. The Z06 only makes 505 hp.

Also, the Z06 makes its 505 hp at 6,500 rpm, which is 408 lb/ft of torque at that speed.

Like Chevy has said, the LT1 makes the same amount of torque/power as the LS7 up to 4,600 rpm, before it starts to fall behind.

But when it does fall behind on the top end, it's only down by 45 hp. The next generation chassis and electronics could very well keep up the base C7 with the C6 Z06.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 PM
dchich
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I do have a Z06 and I do roast the tires all the way through first(60 MPH) and second gears. I shift into third gear at 90 MPH thus am able to then get some traction. Shift to fourth at 125 MPH. Z06's normally trap around 125 in the quarter.
OK... Make sense. Thought you were saying that the tires weren't up to the task and you could only trap 90.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Phimosis
Advanced

Really thanks for the laugh I needed that tonight

Hopefully GM has solved the AFM issues with their engines because if not there are going to be a lot of pissed posters around this forum next year. And as far as modding the LT1 it won't be easy like the LS3 - like pulling the cylinder heads to do a cam install. Finally you get that awesome 4 cylinder DOD drone that sounds like a 4 cylinder Honda when it kicks in and you have headers on the car.

But don't worry I will enjoy hammering the C7's when I run into them on the street in my slow LS3
The 4 cylinder operation will be as a V4, not an inline 4. The sound will be totally different. Compare the sound of an Aprilia RSV4 to a Yamaha R1.

If they made V4 compact sports cars, I would buy one. Inline 4's sound like crap.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:18 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Hey red, hows that massive 430 hp ls3!

I was completely right. The pdf posted the other day was NOT the announcement. I even said in one thread that it might be that number but that the pdf was not the official announcement everyone was saying it was.

Go back and look at it...it still isn't finished or correct.
http://media.gm.com/dld/content/medi...UPE-MANUAL.pdf
You know ox dam well what I mean when the typo I was referring to was you saying the indy 500 press release was a typo insinuating no way the car would only have 455 HP. You can't even admit when your wrong. Real men do! BTW why do you keep knocking my car and the power it has? It doesn't bother me why would it bother you? I don't lust for more power nor ever wanted it.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Phimosis
Advanced

Originally Posted by red2012
You have been making some pretty bold and strong assumptions for the C7 over the C6 with no data supplied yet. For your sake you better hope the C7 is heads and shoulders above the C6 not just marginally better or you will be blown off this forum.
His assumptions aren't that bold: The base C6 is clearly better than the C5. The C6 Z06 is clearly better than the C5 Z06. More recently, Porsche's 991 is clearly better than the 997 that it replaced. The 458 Italia is clearly better than F430....

Technology is continually improving suspension, chassis rigidity, power delivery, torque vectoring and grip. If the C7 is only marginally better than the C6, it is Chevrolet that will get blown off this forum!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BLKTA
Have you raced the ZL1? Not a slouch in any category. Low 12's, high 11's in the 1/4 mile, 1.0 g on a skidpad and will probably lap your GS on a course stock for stock.
No, he and I have never raced. However, I think you've missed my point. Which of us would win in a race, is not important. Neither of us is much into racing anymore. We both simply enjoy owning, and driving high performance cars.

All I'm saying is there is so much more to a car than horse power alone. I've driven C6s, C5s, and a C3. When I first drove his Camaro, I felt like I was cornering in my old F150 pickup truck. Gobs of power and torque, but imo, handles like a PU compared with any Corvette I've driven.

He feels the same way, he loves the feel and handling characteristics of a 'vette. He bought the Camaro because it has so much more horse power, period. He buys the most horse power he can, within his budget. That's his only consideration. That's what I was trying to convey, because I feel there is much more to a complete driving experience than hp alone.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

You should go to Spring Mountain and find out firsthand just how fast a properly driven Camaro is with you giving chase in a Corvette ZR1. To the stopwatch, it's sure no F150.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:06 AM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Wait! You only have a 430 hp ls3! All this time you've been talking just like a LS7 owner!!
Actually with a mild cam and all the bolt-ons my slow LS3 put down 450rwhp through an A6, so I'm not real concerned about coming across a C7 on the road. Having $55,000 total invested for a brand new loaded 4LT GS coupe including all my mods has me smiling all the way to the bank. At the moment I'm just waiting to see if they screw up the C7 Z06 by announcing it has 530hp with the addition of direct injection and VVT like they did with the LT1. If that happens then I'm just going to put an A&A kit on the C6 to get it over 600rwhp and call it a day.

On the other hand if they introduce it with close to 600hp to start like they should then I will eventually sell my GS coupe and get one of those when prices fall - butt ugly rear end and all
Old 05-29-2013, 01:15 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Actually with a mild cam and all the bolt-ons my slow LS3 put down 450rwhp through an A6, so I'm not real concerned about coming across a C7 on the road. Having $55,000 total invested for a brand new loaded 4LT GS coupe including all my mods has me smiling all the way to the bank.
Well yee-hah, it seems like you're the winner of the horsepower per dollar contest.
Meanwhile, you just voided your entire powertrain warranty and have a car that likely won't sell as quickly or be as desirable as an unmodded, stock GS when you decide to sell it for a C7.
Congrats.
S.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
You should go to Spring Mountain and find out firsthand just how fast a properly driven Camaro is with you giving chase in a Corvette ZR1. To the stopwatch, it's sure no F150.

I guess that no matter how I explain, there will always be someone who will respond with a stopwatch, and/or, trap time/speed, fan-boyism, etc.

I am simply saying that when I get out of my '13 GS LS3, and into his '13 ZL1, the height of the Camaro's seat off the ground, the mass across the front end, the weight, steering geometry, etc., makes me feel like I've just gotten into a pick up truck compared to the Corvette. All I am saying, is there is far more to a high performance car, than horse power alone.

Hey, it's all good I guess, everyone has their own opinion, as I have mine.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

On the other hand if they introduce it with close to 600hp to start like they should then I will eventually sell my GS coupe and get one of those when prices fall - butt ugly rear end and all

I disagree. I think C6 look good from the back. My C 5 is a bit wide but still a good one.

Last edited by Bill17601; 05-29-2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 AM
mws444
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hameister
I guess that no matter how I explain, there will always be someone who will respond with a stopwatch, and/or, trap time/speed, fan-boyism, etc.

I am simply saying that when I get out of my '13 GS LS3, and into his '13 ZL1, the height of the Camaro's seat off the ground, the mass across the front end, the weight, steering geometry, etc., makes me feel like I've just gotten into a pick up truck compared to the Corvette. All I am saying, is there is far more to a high performance car, than horse power alone.

Hey, it's all good I guess, everyone has their own opinion, as I have mine.
Glad you clarified. I have a Lingenfelter Camaro with a Pedders suspension that will hit 1.38 G's in a corner with it's racing shoes on. It is also putting down 706 HP to the rear wheels. I assure you it is nothing like a pickup truck to drive.
That said I do have a C7 on order, and of course there will be some serious modding done to this new car as well. I have never been able to leave well enough alone when it comes to cars. There is always a modification that will get better performance and reliability.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

The LS2 was in the C6 for 3 years with no hp change
The LS3 was in the C6 for 6 years with no hp change

Furthermore it seems very doubtful with the amount GM has invested in the development of the LT1 that the motor would be changed during the run of the C7. There's just no logical reason to expect a hp bump in the base C7 vette, and I think the 455 number assures that demand will drop considerably within the first model year.
I don't think the motor will change, but the power will be increased. It has happened year after year in the corvette world. The 2001+ C5 have more HP than the '97's. The LS2 was replaced with the LS3 which isn't really a new development, just a slightly larger version of the same engine.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by sam90lx
Where is the GT-R version? Granted it is 150k but 550+ and 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. Hell, maybe 180k..cant remember.
GT-R makes 545HP, costs $116,710 at max trim level and does 0-60 in 2.7 seconds...at that price you're in ZR1 territory, but for all out acceleration the GT-R takes the cake with almost 100 fewer HP.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 AM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Well yee-hah, it seems like you're the winner of the horsepower per dollar contest.
Meanwhile, you just voided your entire powertrain warranty and have a car that likely won't sell as quickly or be as desirable as an unmodded, stock GS when you decide to sell it for a C7.
Congrats.
S.
Since I have the car tuned properly there is really no need for a powertrain warranty - especially with how the LS3 has proved itself to be so bulletproof with guys running over 700rwhp reliably through a stock engine for a long, long time. The car drives 99% like stock with only the slightest hint of lope, but when you hit the gas it is a rocket. I can put it back to stock before I sell it for a few hundred bucks - less than I will get when I sell the old parts off of it.

I had 600 miles on the car when I did everything to it and it actually felt great doing it. I'm not trying to win any contest, but when GM announced 450hp and I saw that Camaro rear end on the car it made it real easy for me to go buy a deeply discounted C6. Granted the cosmetic flaws could be overlooked for the appropriate amount of increased performance, but that definitely isn't there from my standpoint.

Just thinking about driving on the street beside a C7 in 4 cylinder mode putting around kind of makes me chuckle
Old 05-29-2013, 09:03 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Or they Will buy a 436hp c6 when they have been complaining about the c7's low hp.
But they will save enough money to Mod their C6 to 1000hp.

Get notified of new replies

To Now that we know the hp number is low why does everyone think they will up the power?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Phimosis
The 4 cylinder operation will be as a V4, not an inline 4. The sound will be totally different. Compare the sound of an Aprilia RSV4 to a Yamaha R1.

If they made V4 compact sports cars, I would buy one. Inline 4's sound like crap.
OMG YES! My Aprilia was amazing sounding, was the only bike that I would ride in lower gears just to keep the engine at full song, gas mileage sucked for a bike but loved the noise. Definitely didn't hurt that i was also running a full titanium Akrapovic race exhaust either...miss her but it's only money right? Have my eyes set on a Ducati 1199 after i get the C7 sorted!

And one of my fave pics on one of my fave rides...94E in San Diego County!

Ok ending thread derailment!
Old 05-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Phimosis
Uhm no. Your math is wrong. 470 lb/ft torque at 6,200 rpm would be 555 hp. The Z06 only makes 505 hp.

Also, the Z06 makes its 505 hp at 6,500 rpm, which is 408 lb/ft of torque at that speed.

Like Chevy has said, the LT1 makes the same amount of torque/power as the LS7 up to 4,600 rpm, before it starts to fall behind.

But when it does fall behind on the top end, it's only down by 45 hp. The next generation chassis and electronics could very well keep up the base C7 with the C6 Z06.
If your saying torque wins races, Ferrari never got that memo.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 AM
mws444
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
If your saying torque wins races, Ferrari never got that memo.
Pretty rare to catch a Ferrari on the drag strip, so in a 1/4 mile sprint torque is very important. On a road course that extra grunt coming out of the curves is also nice. The Corvette racing team has made some huge gains in sorting out the C6, look forward to seeing what they will do with the C7. From what I have seen so far this new car should have much longer legs under her.

Quick Reply: Now that we know the hp number is low why does everyone think they will up the power?