Sponsored by:

Does the C7 with Z51 have an air dam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:58 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Does the C7 with Z51 have an air dam?

No, says Harlan Charles. I spoke to Harlan at Sebring where the C7 was unveiled. I had explained to him that my biggest complaint with my C6 GS was the scraping of the air dam on many different road gradients. He surprised me by saying that while the "base" C7 does have an air dam, the C7 with the Z51 option does not (or maybe just a smaller version). He further explained that this was due to the different way the Z51 package diverts the air. Can anyone explain that further? To me this would be a major reason to purchase a C7 with Z51 because my Vette has always been a daily driver and there are many places here in Wolfeboro where the air dam scrapes and it's darn embarrassing to say the least. The C7 at Sebring was a beautiful Cyber Gray but it did not sport the Z51 Performance Package so I was unable to check that feature out.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

If you are scraping an air dam all over town, then look forward to scraping the bumper instead on the Z51. The air dam is meant to scrape...it's keeps air from going beneath the car creating lift, plus directs air for cooling...it's no big deal to scrape it. That's why they only cost 90.00 to replace and are spring loaded.

Learn to take angles man. I drive my C5Z nearly daily in the summer months and my car is LOW (compared to stock) in the hellholes of Pittsburgh and don't scrape hardly ever.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:22 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RC000E
If you are scraping an air dam all over town, then look forward to scraping the bumper instead on the Z51. The air dam is meant to scrape...it's keeps air from going beneath the car creating lift, plus directs air for cooling...it's no big deal to scrape it. That's why they only cost 90.00 to replace and are spring loaded.

Learn to take angles man. I drive my C5Z nearly daily in the summer months and my car is LOW (compared to stock) in the hellholes of Pittsburgh and don't scrape hardly ever.
Being I'm in my 3rd C6 and they all scrape I guess I have mastered the art of taking angles. Can't say I enjoy it though and I look forward to my first test drive on the Z51 when it comes out. I'm not so sure the front end will scrape on the Z51 bumper but I'll with hold judgment on that until the time comes. Still looking for reason why the difference between air dam in base and Z51.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:25 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by sdurg24
Being I'm in my 3rd C6 and they all scrape I guess I have mastered the art of taking angles. Can't say I enjoy it though and I look forward to my first test drive on the Z51 when it comes out. I'm not so sure the front end will scrape on the Z51 bumper but I'll with hold judgment on that until the time comes. Still looking for reason why the difference between air dam in base and Z51.
The difference is likely the fact the Z51 has a lower factory ride height.

So, your 3rd C6 and you still scrape all the time? If you mastered taking angles doesn't that mean you wouldn't scrape? Either way...it's just plastic...no biggie.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:45 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RC000E
The difference is likely the fact the Z51 has a lower factory ride height.

So, your 3rd C6 and you still scrape all the time? If you mastered taking angles doesn't that mean you wouldn't scrape? Either way...it's just plastic...no biggie.
No, it means the car scrapes when it shouldn't. I didn't mean to give the impression that it "scrapes all the time", just under certain circumstances. Although I love my C6's I do not love the scrape. It's not the cost or the material, it's the looks from bystanders and comments from the passenger and I might add, many owners agree that this is a detriment to the car. At any rate I'm encouraged by Harlan's comment. Seems it has something to do with diverting the air over the car rather than under it where an air dam is necessary. Air under the car creates lift while properly directed air over the car (like the C6R) helps to hold the car on the road. I'm just ignorant as to how the Z51 design differs from the base package in order to become a different "breather".
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

To me this would be a major reason to purchase a C7 with Z51 because my Vette has always been a daily driver and there are many places here in Wolfeboro where the air dam scrapes and it's darn embarrassing to say the least.
I would submit that it's far more cost effective to buy a few extra air dams from your local Chevy dealer and replace it as they get banged up instead of spending the money on a Z51.

S.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:34 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I have not heard that the c7 does not have an air dam. I daily drive my c6 z51 and when the flexible air dam underneath scrapes I am thankfully it's designed to fold back and not break anything.

That noise sure beats having to spend big bucks replacing hard inflexible front facias as on some truly exotic sports cars.

The corvette is a hard charging 190 mph sports car. If your driving one and it scraps once in a while...don't be embarrassed ...be proud.

It's would be unnatural if a low slung sports car didn't scrape once in awhile. It's part of being a low slung sexy sports car that actually can go on the track and kick some serious @SS..

JMO
Old 05-23-2013, 08:58 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if this is a Z51 but would assume so. Sure is an air dam on Black Widow's C7.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:10 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

No, says Harlan Charles. I spoke to Harlan at Sebring where the C7 was unveiled. I had explained to him that my biggest complaint with my C6 GS was the scraping of the air dam on many different road gradients. He surprised me by saying that while the "base" C7 does have an air dam, the C7 with the Z51 option does not (or maybe just a smaller version). He further explained that this was due to the different way the Z51 package diverts the air. Can anyone explain that further? To me this would be a major reason to purchase a C7 with Z51 because my Vette has always been a daily driver and there are many places here in Wolfeboro where the air dam scrapes and it's darn embarrassing to say the least. The C7 at Sebring was a beautiful Cyber Gray but it did not sport the Z51 Performance Package so I was unable to check that feature out.
Not sure, but the Z51 may have air deflectors mounted on the front lower control arms(similar to what is on the C6 ZR1) to route air across the front brakes while also acting as an air dam to minimize air flowing under the car. The Z51 may still have the hinged center air dam.

There was an installation drawing of the front control arm air deflectors, to be used by the dealer doing the PDI, floating around this forum some 6 months ago.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,124 Likes on 6,194 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I don't know if this is a Z51 but would assume so. Sure is an air dam on Black Widow's C7.
Well, it has Z51 wheels and the Z51 spoiler and it definitely has a front air dam.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

BlueOx what color is this Stingray?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 PM
chiromed0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Early pics of the C7 didn't show one but I saw one this w/e at TMS. It has the air deflectors as you call them in front of the wheels only. No center section so even if you angle it the thing will still scrape some. As often as this problem is mentioned it's known to Chevrolet and it doesn't matter. I've heard others say it's so that you don't suck hot air back into the radiator at idle, not so much as a real deflector under the car. I have no idea but even if it is to increase down force I don't go fast enough for it to matter. I thought about taking it off but I think it serves as a good warning device b/c I'd much rather hear that plastic scraping slightly than my actual body work scraping. Like others have said...no worries and buy a new one if it rips off or wears out. No biggie (but annoying).
Old 05-23-2013, 01:33 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill17601
BlueOx what color is this Stingray?
From all the pics I've seen of that situation, it looks black to me.

Last edited by BlueOx; 05-23-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:36 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Snorman
I would submit that it's far more cost effective to buy a few extra air dams from your local Chevy dealer and replace it as they get banged up instead of spending the money on a Z51.

S.
In fact it would be far more cost effective for me to buy a Malibu but I choose to drive a hard charging sports car and have for many years now. It's not a garage queen and I don't put just 5,000 miles on it a year but rather over 15,000 limited only because I live in a snow belt.
Actually I spend more money on a GS (little more than a wide body Z51) because I enjoy the way it drives. I do not enjoy nor look forward to the scraping and I feel this is one reason why Corvette sales have dwindled. I would purchase a new C7 for lots of reasons and "IF" as Harlan Charles stated the C7 with Z51 does not scrape "as much" then the combination of that and the incredible advantages of the Z51 Performance package may just cause me to purchase a 2014 or 2015 C7. I'm sorry if some misinterpreted my question originally posed.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Thats sexy!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good in black, with the black chrome wheels. And I'm not really a black rim kinda guy.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 PM
JockItch
Safety Car

Received 5,333 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Well, it has Z51 wheels and the Z51 spoiler and it definitely has a front air dam.
And it looks lowered. How I wish it had that stance from the factory.

Get notified of new replies

To Does the C7 with Z51 have an air dam?

Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

WOW, that sure looks good, even the black rims look great from this angle!
Picture this in a vert with Kalahari interior for my next Vette and next year cannot come fast enough!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

No, it means the car scrapes when it shouldn't. I didn't mean to give the impression that it "scrapes all the time", just under certain circumstances. Although I love my C6's I do not love the scrape. It's not the cost or the material, it's the looks from bystanders and comments from the passenger and I might add, many owners agree that this is a detriment to the car. At any rate I'm encouraged by Harlan's comment. Seems it has something to do with diverting the air over the car rather than under it where an air dam is necessary. Air under the car creates lift while properly directed air over the car (like the C6R) helps to hold the car on the road. I'm just ignorant as to how the Z51 design differs from the base package in order to become a different "breather".
Have never considered it a detriment. So it scrapes? Who the H cares about what unknowing bystanders or passengers think. I take it as a warning of much worse things that might be about to happen like damaging the expensive little front splitter on a standard Z06 of GS or really damaging the really expensive big front splitter on a ZR1 or Z07 optioned Z06.

Bill
Old 05-24-2013, 09:46 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Have never considered it a detriment. So it scrapes? Who the H cares about what unknowing bystanders or passengers think. I take it as a warning of much worse things that might be about to happen like damaging the expensive little front splitter on a standard Z06 of GS or really damaging the really expensive big front splitter on a ZR1 or Z07 optioned Z06.

Bill
I could care less what anyone thinks. To me it is a clear indicator that I have a sports car that sits low and that the air dam helps keep the Vette cool and huggin the road. I have a spare set of them sittin' around should I knock it loose.

Quick Reply: Does the C7 with Z51 have an air dam?