Sponsored by:

455 Horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by VettishC7
How very true. And as another poster said up above, 455 HP goes very well with the earlier statements of "AT LEAST 450 HP."

I am afraid that there might be some accidental substance here. Doesn't change the fact that I love this car though, and it will be fast as hell until the real "King of the Hill" vette comes along (next year I am hoping)!
And it goes even better with all the GM press releases that said "450 HP(est)" that has also shown up at the engine's release last Fall, the various auto shows and on GM's official web site. I don't recall GM ever saying the C7's LT1 had "at least 450 HP"
Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 PM
VettishC7
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
And it goes even better with all the GM press releases that said "450 HP(est)" that has also shown up at the engine's release last Fall, the various auto shows and on GM's official web site. I don't recall GM ever saying the C7's LT1 had "at least 450 HP"
I recall the pretty spokeswoman/model who was at many of the shows putting an emphasis on "at least 450 HP" at some of the car shows. Don't have a link right now though (the videos are here somewhere).
Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Looks plenty official to me.

Time for the denial phase to hit?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:31 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Just like was promised...
Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert R1

Theres nothing official about that whatsoever..........

When it actually becomes official we will all know.........
Thrl_skr
Intermediate

Seems about right. And the there is no reason for a major announcement because it might as well be a rounding error compared to the 450 estimate.

I would however expect a big hullabaloo if EPA combined economy clicks in above 30mpg.
LouB57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I look at it differently, perhaps because this will be my first Corvette.

It's a beautiful, stunning vehicle, with incredible colors available, a whole new level of sophistication, and even spotting the Camaro ZL1 OVER 100 HP, it appears that it will at least be its match, if not a bit faster.

I guess my viewpoint is, unless you are going to track the car, or for simple bragging rights, how much HP is ever enough? How many are really ever going to really use that much power consistently.

I currently have a 09 Challenger RT, love it, has more than enough power, and of the 3 pony cars, is the best looking and truest to the retro look.

The Stingray will absolutely smoke the Challenger (even if it was an SRT).

I, for one, think this Corvette is going to be something very special, and am looking forward to being a First time Corvette owner

Last edited by LouB57; 05-23-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert R1

Given some the replies... you hit the nail right on the head.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

When the final numbers do come out, how many of the detractors on this thread and other threads will own up to their biased opinions? Also, retract their erroneous and slanderous statements.

They will probably disappear or just come up with some other reason to slam the new C7, and not admit to their worry that it some how denigrates the love they have for their own great car! Remember, the one you own is also one fine Corvette. Just different, not inferior.

Last edited by speedlink; 05-22-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by LouB57
I guess I look at it differently, perhaps because this will be my first Corvette.

It's a beautiful, stunning vehicle, with incredible colors available, a whole new level of sophistication, and even spotting the Camaro ZL1 OVER 100 HP, it appears that it will at least be its match, if not a bit faster.

I guess my viewpoint is, unless you are going to track the car, or for simple bragging rights, how much HP is ever enough? How many are really ever going to really use that much power consistently.

I currently have a 09 Challenger RT, love it, has more than enough power, and of the 3 pony cars, is the best looking and truest to the retro look.

The Stingray will absolutely smoke the Challenger (even if it was an SRT).

I, for one, think this Corvette is going to be something very special, and am looking forward to being a First time Corvette owner
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

Given some the replies... you hit the nail right on the head.
So are you saying 455 is the official HP# ???

....or are you praying it is
Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 PM
CandyVette
Drifting

"I guess my viewpoint is, unless you are going to track the car, or for simple bragging rights, how much HP is ever enough? How many are really ever going to really use that much power consistently."

I do. Every day. My 436 hp in my Grand Sport is not enough for me. You know those people who say "Drive it like ya stole it?" Well, that's the way I drive. And I do plan to autocross and drag race this car and take it to the track. So this paltry 455 hp is embarrassing if true. I'll still buy the C7 but I really won't be happy with this hp rating. And for those of you who say well if you don't want the Stingray, why don't you wait for the Z06 or the ZR1 or whatever higher hp Vette they put out later? That's the point. LATER. I don't want to wait any longer. I've waited for the C7 long enough.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Ya caught me.
A typo in a post about a typo.
Touche
Old 05-22-2013, 07:52 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

First the base C7 came in a few hundred pounds heavier than we hoped.

Now the base car appears to have barely over 450 hp.

Some guys here were counting on supercar performance, some thought it would outperform a Z06.

Looks like all we're left with is the best performing base Corvette ever built.

If 455 hp is confirmed some orders here might even cancel and wait for next year's LT4 performance model

That would make it easier for the rest of us to get our base C7s this year
Old 05-22-2013, 07:53 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
When the final numbers do come out, .
Dude, they just did come out. 455. I don't know where this leaves everyone with respect to slander and other legal quandaries you have conjured up, but this is about as official as it gets.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM
pmonag
Intermediate

455 makes sense to me, still a nice improvement over the previous generation and more than enough for most folks.

BTW, I'm 37 and this will be my first vette. Was looking at Audi & Infiniti, but when I saw this design I was blown away. Can't wait to get one!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Dude, they just did come out. 455. I don't know where this leaves everyone with respect to slander and other legal quandaries you have conjured up, but this is about as official as it gets.
Wheres the link to this official announcement?

Get notified of new replies

To 455 Horsepower?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
So are you saying 455 is the official HP# ???

....or are you praying it is
Haha, I guess someone is a little sensitive. Your response to his denial statement to be quite ironic.

Given the tone, I take it you are unpleased with this number? Or do you think 455 is okay for the C7? Tell us more about what you think. If it really is 455, will you still buy one?

Regarding the official number, I make no such claims, but the fact its on GM's very own website and press release is quite a substantial fact. Given the nature of the release, I do not believe the HP announcement was intentional, but the number does come from somewhere in GM. Whether this was a typo or accurate leak, no one here knows, but being that GM is the source does give it some credibility. Far more credibility than the wishful thinking rampant on the forums.

I'm not the sensitive type, but even if I was, I still wouldn't have anything to worry about. To put it in perspective, a Z06 is putting down nearly as much on a dyno as the LT1 is estimated to have at the crank.

And in the case of my very own car, you'd need another 200 crank hp if want to get close to what my car outputs. Not to mention I'm carrying about 200lbs less weight and have more tire on all four corners.

So to answer your last question... nope

Last edited by Jawnathin; 05-22-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Haha, I guess someone is a little sensitive. Your response to his denial statement to be quite ironic.

Given the tone, I take it you are unpleased with this number? Or do you think 455 is okay for the C7? Tell us more about what you think. If it really is 455, will you still buy one?

Regarding the official number, I make no such claims, but the fact its on GM's very own website and press release is quite a substantial fact. Given the nature of the release, I do not believe the HP announcement was intentional, but the number does come from somewhere in GM. Whether this was a typo or accurate leak, no one here knows, but being that GM is the source does give it some credibility. Far more credibility than the wishful thinking rampant on the forums.

I'm not the sensitive type, but even if I was, I still wouldn't have anything to worry about. To put it in perspective, a Z06 is putting down nearly as much on a dyno as the LT1 is estimated to have at the crank.

And in the case of my very own car, you'd need another 200 crank hp if want to get close to what my car outputs. Not to mention I'm carrying about 200lbs less weight and have more tire on all four corners.

So to answer your last question... nope
Yes.....I am hoping for more than 455......I would still get the C7 if it's 455.....more important is how it performs to me regardless of HP.....a supercharger is in my C7's future even if it's 500HP...
Old 05-22-2013, 08:22 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
I would still get the C7 if it's 455
Great - in that case you're all set. 455 it is. You can go ahead and put your order in now.

.a supercharger is in my C7's future even if it's 500HP...
sooo...then....why would you care what the base HP is? And...why would you add a non-warranted SC when there will be a factory SC on the performance version?

Quick Reply: 455 Horsepower?