C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The future of collecting C7 Corvettes and other high tech cars.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:16 PM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Recent and affordable cars that I would collect would be the 2002 Eldorado, the C5 Corvette, and the Lotus Elise. Also, the third-generation Toyota MR2 of 1999 to 2007.

There's also a Mazdaspeed Turbo second-generation Miata. Then the Cadillac Allante has a Pininfarina badge on it but is available on Autotrader like no big deal. Another idea is the 1992 Jaguar Series 3 XJ. Next, the first generation MB SL is long gone but the 1971 280 SL might be possible. And don't forget about the Porsche 914 and the shocking modern profile that hit the market in 1971. But most 914's have had rust ground out of them by body shops. Oh, don't forget about the Ferrari 360 of 1999 to 2005.

And more, the 1982 Fiat Spider with Bosch fuel-injection. Then any year Alfa Romeo Spider but Bosch fuel injection began in 1982 as well.

But any Porsche, SL MB, or XK Jaguar could be held long term has a family heirloom. And a lot of Corvettes are like this. Also, the Ferrari 458, the Gallardo, the R8, the Viper, ...

Several C3 pace cars recently sold with very few miles on the odometer. The selling price may have outperformed the inflation rate. What happened is that there are websites on the internet about using aftermarket C3 frames as race car platforms. And so frame-making enterprises around the world are interested in the C3 because the frame design is now in the public domain

Last edited by B Stead; 05-22-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:06 AM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, today's car collectors are mostly older, and remember drooling over cars when they were young. I don't think I see as many kids today drooling over cars - they car more about where to recharge there phones and want somebody else to drive so they can text more...

Even car movies like Fast & Furious 6 seem more and more geared to blow-up scenes and tanks and guns... Don't get me wrong, i'll see it, but give me Bullitt or give me Two Lane Blacktop.

I don't think tech will kill car collecting, rather lack of enough who care in future generations
Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
IMO, today's car collectors are mostly older, and remember drooling over cars when they were young. I don't think I see as many kids today drooling over cars - they car more about where to recharge there phones and want somebody else to drive so they can text more...

Even car movies like Fast & Furious 6 seem more and more geared to blow-up scenes and tanks and guns... Don't get me wrong, i'll see it, but give me Bullitt or give me Two Lane Blacktop.

I don't think tech will kill car collecting, rather lack of enough who care in future generations
I think you have a good point. Cars were amazing marvels 50-60 years ago. Today, my generation and younger generations just "expect" something better each and every year. Maybe we're spoiled, but we just don't see cars as the marvels that they are anymore.

Quick Reply: The future of collecting C7 Corvettes and other high tech cars.